• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    They did, they decided that wasn't a safe environment in the school. Evolution taught us to take care of ourselves first. Training teaches us otherwise. And with the wishy-washy politician/sheriff if you violate policy you would be toast OR follow policy and be castigated by the media. Either way you're toast. It's called no support from above.
    No, evolution has conditioned strong males to protect their communities' children even at the expense of themselves. They certainly made a poor decision in this case. You might get fired for not following policy, but becoming a pahria is worse. Unless of course you get protection from the system.
    ARJ Defense ad

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Of course a self-protection instinct exists. But man has frequently mastered that fear. {Note the difference in mastering the fear and eliminating the fear. The former does not mean the fear goes away, but rather that one does not let fear affect one's actions.}

Different individuals have varying degrees of capability to master fear. Some people can be frozen by fear. Others overcome the fear, and some can be energized to action by fear.

This was a sad and unfortunate time/way for the officers to find out they were not able to master the fear. It is possible that the officers had never before been in a similar situation and were unaware of their capability in that respect.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    If you are even thinking about being an LEO, shouldn't you have already thought that there is a possibility that you may at some point have to put yourself in harms way?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If you are even thinking about being an LEO...
    I'm told that some people "just fall into" a job as an LEO. They need a job, there's an organization hiring, and they apply. They get a gun issued to them and they ignore it except for qualifying.

Now, I'm not sure how someone could hire on and stay on as an LEO without understanding that they may be called upon to do dangerous things but there are apparently some pretty non-self-aware LEOs running around out there.

I should note that at the federal level, this is pretty common. Many federal LEO positions are in support of a body of laws that are mostly civil and those LEOs can know to a high degree of probability that they will never face any real danger. They have a badge and a gun just so they can make rare arrests. If you're a Special Agent with the Railroad Retirement Board, for example, you'll never be in a gun battle. The only people you'll ever arrest are folks who are scamming the system.

But local LEOs? The folks who are out there on the same streets as bad guys? I am having a hard time understanding how they could be so clueless as to not recognize their limitations and seek other employment.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Even I would have a hard time trying to live with myself knowing that kids were dying near me and I didn't do what I could to stop it, and I am not an LEO. It's sad to think that there are officers that have less courage then a high school coach.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    If you are even thinking about being an LEO, shouldn't you have already thought that there is a possibility that you may at some point have to put yourself in harms way?

I am not sure if anyone can be absolutely certain how they will truly react in that situation until they actually face the situation.

I have read more than a few accounts of soldiers with plenty of bravado who froze when it hit the fan.

I doubt the officers staying outside had told themselves when they became LEO's "Well, self, if it hits the fan I am just going to find cover and hide." I suspect they assumed they could do what was necessary.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I like to be able to live with myself. I don't really want to die, but I think I would rather die then let something like that haunt me the rest of my life.

from_ky

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2015
    “A coward dies a thousand times before his death, but the valiant taste of death but once. “

William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...I think I would rather die then let something like that haunt me the rest of my life.
    The subject has been brought up enough times that I'm wondering if any of the London bookies (who'll take a bet on anything) have established an over/under on when/if he'll commit suicide.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I like to be able to live with myself. I don't really want to die, but I think I would rather die then let something like that haunt me the rest of my life.

I would like to think I would run into that building. I believe I would run into that building.

I am just trying to show a tiny bit of compassion for someone here.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I've done so many things in my life that I probably shouldn't have walked away from, I'm probably living on borrowed time anyway.

DwnRange

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2015
    Well now the excuses come out..........

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article202164039.html

excerpt: Peterson “heard gunshots but believed those gunshots were originating from outside of the buildings on the school campus,” according to the release. “BSO trains its officers that in the event of outdoor gunfire one is to seek cover and assess the situation in order to communicate what one observes with other law enforcement.”

IMHO if ya can't distinguish gunfire inside from gunfire outside ya don't need to be a LEO, (and get your ears check'd) - there's also interesting cover for their ineptitude there in article noting erroneous dispatcher/radio information to again, for covering inaction in the face of a serious threat.

(YMMV, but rules and regs don't mean $h!t when children's lives are at stake)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    IMHO if ya can't distinguish gunfire inside from gunfire outside ya don't need to be a LEO,...
    But even if you can't figure out if it's outside or inside, isn't the prudent thing to do is go into the building, placing yourself as close to the potential victims as possible, so that you can shield them until you figure out the source of the gunfire?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Additionally, if he thought the shots were coming from the football field why did he not go there to engage the shooter? Upon reaching the field, he would have discovered the shots were not coming from the football field and he could have moved on to the inside.

I must agree, this sounds like a lame excuse.

DwnRange

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2015
    But even if you can't figure out if it's outside or inside, isn't the prudent thing to do is go into the building, placing yourself as close to the potential victims as possible, so that you can shield them until you figure out the source of the gunfire?

IMHO - yes, (and ya forgot the part about getting your ears check'd)

Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    Go in and take out the shooter. This from several BCSo officers. Have not see any one refute this is the policy.
    From things I have seen/read they have not had any training or changes on this in a solid decade. Funds not spent on training.

Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    Additionally, if he thought the shots were coming from the football field why did he not go there to engage the shooter? Upon reaching the field, he would have discovered the shots were not coming from the football field and he could have moved on to the inside.

I must agree, this sounds like a lame excuse.
    He is full of Bravo Sierra and just covering his Cowardice in the face of live fire.

Top Bottom