• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1006smith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    While I agree what he allegedly did is cowardly, the news media has no right to bombard his residence. Remember a person in this country is "innocent until proven guilty"; or are we throwing away the Constitution and Bill of Rights like the opposition? His wife and kids did nothing to deserve this.
    Target Sports

spatin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2015
    How the hell does one guy set up a perimeter of a large high school?

What chaps my ass is this coward was allowed to retire.
    Me too. He should have been fired with no benefits and no retirement. If anything all of his benefits and retirement $$ should go the the families of the children who were killed.

spatin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2015
    Anyone with a shred of decency would have gone into the school to locate the shooter and return fire. Someone died every time the gun in the school went off, and he knew it. This guy was just a coward, pure and simple.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Defin

Define "Old". My training was simple, Take charge of the situation, period. Handle it, it's a bad deal to have to call a supervisor. If a Lt has to be called it better be the end of the world. It was handle it at the lowest level possible, not kick it upstairs. Of course that was several decades ago. Now the training seems to be establish perimeter and await SWAT. I'm basing that on what I have seen in the news about how things are handled. I see a lot of 8+ hr standoffs where the house is empty, HUH. They may have different orders in an "active shooter" situation. Don't know but I would hope so.
    I've posted in one of the other threads that pre-Columbine, it was the thinking that the first arriving units would establish a perimeter and await SWAT. THAT THINKING AND TRAINING STOPPED POST-COLUMBINE. Since that time, the training is for an "Active Shooter" is for the first unit(s) that arrive (or are already on-scene--PETERSON) to establish a hasty team and move in to locate, approach, and engage the active shooter to STOP THE KILLING. It is now unacceptable to await on the perimeter when there is killing underway. If the situation changes such that it is a "Barricaded Subject"/"Hostage Taker" situation, then it is appropriate to establish the perimeter and await SWAT/Hostage Negotiator/other resources.

So, in sum, it doesn't matter what your training was a couple decades ago, because that is NOT what the training is now and also NOT since Columbine.

cherok2e

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2018
    Friona, TX
    This may not be popular, but until we learn what the department policy (if it even exists) is, all I see is a politician (Sheriff) making a political statement on the actions of the deputy.

If the Department policy for active shooter response is identify and report location then wait for a response team, it’s a different equation.
    What did The Broward School Districts decision
    This may not be popular, but until we learn what the department policy (if it even exists) is, all I see is a politician (Sheriff) making a political statement on the actions of the deputy.

If the Department policy for active shooter response is identify and report location then wait for a response team, it’s a different equation.
    What did Broward County School Districts decision about not arresting students, for Federal money, have to do with this incident response?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    What did Broward County School Districts decision about not arresting students, for Federal money, have to do with this incident response?
    Potentially, it created an atmosphere and mindset of "You don't engage with students. You're just window dressing." Even if the conditioning was subtle, I believe it was likely that that mindset influenced his choices at that critical moment. He certainly acted like window dressing.

Remember that the closest ship to the Titanic saw the rocket flares sent up by that doomed ship. That signal was universally known to be a distress signal. Yet the other ship did not change course immediately for the Titanic. Their mindset, what they had seen in the media for a very long time, was that the Titanic was unsinkable. In the critical moment, that conditioning caused them to dither about, taking no action, because of the cognitive dissonance they were experiencing. The ship was unsinkable so it couldn't be signalling for help, right? Precious minutes were lost and, as a result, more people died than should have.

Conditioning that impacts action can be subtle and powerful at the same time.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Well if he had 40ish calls against him to 911 and several fights in all the schools he was in and who knows how many other school incidents he was in we will never know because they dont keep track of them. I would think if nothing was done because the school district wants a nice clean record well it kept the piece of shit out of jail where he belonged.

What did The Broward School Districts decision

CLC379

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013

Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    While I agree what he allegedly did is cowardly, the news media has no right to bombard his residence. Remember a person in this country is "innocent until proven guilty"; or are we throwing away the Constitution and Bill of Rights like the opposition? His wife and kids did nothing to deserve this.
    In that you are right......think with me on this one.............Those kids in that school were depending on him and the other 3 deputy's that would not go in and engage for any number of lame ass excuses. And they are now dead or seriously wounded. Their family's have lost so much as to lack description.
    I wish no ill on the innocent but that these douche bags are put in a spot is no where near enough stress.
    Again.......no harm needs come to family. But a beat down or 5 to those cowards is well inside fair.

Dinoble1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2016
    Southeast FL
    interesting links on the failed sheriff

political friends

http://thefederalist.com/2018/02/26...exemplifies-the-failures-of-our-institutions/

Sheriff Israel said that he instructed BSO deputies to issue juvenile civil citations, not arrests;

The BCSD’s own written policy encouraged handling even criminal activity ‘outside the criminal justice system’;

http://thefederalist.com/2018/02/28...roward-countys-scott-israel-ayn-rand-villain/

They have essentially created Sanctuary Schools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    So basically, if he's not supposed to engage criminal activity, then an armed cop at a school is nothing more than political window-dressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    So basically, if he's not supposed to engage criminal activity, then an armed cop at a school is nothing more than political window-dressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    So to post false sign that reads "our teachers are armed, etc" would do just as good a job & wouldn't need a trailer house to live in.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    So to post false sign that reads "our teachers are armed, etc" would do just as good a job & wouldn't need a trailer house to live in.
    Who said anything about false signs? If the teachers and staff are armed the sign means what it says.

Top Bottom