Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I may need to spend some time in downtown Houston in the future. I honestly haven't been there except for a quick trip to see a concert or play and then immediately leave in over a decade.

I'm wondering - These days, what's the "vibe" downtown?

Back in the day, there were lots of office workers running around during the day, packing the tunnels at lunch. It was a vibrant place during the day with a few things worth doing after dark, though wandering the streets would not fall into that category.

What's it like now? If I were in the middle of the tunnel system during a weekday lunch rush, would it be packed? What percentage of those people would be wearing masks? Have the beggars and homeless gotten worse or just concentrated in particular places?

What kind of first impression would it make on a foreign visitor?

I'm not looking for screeds about how stupid it is to consider getting out of your car anywhere within five miles of downtown. I know plenty of people who feel that way for their own reasons and I accept their viewpoints as valid for them. But that sort of response would be distinctly unhelpful.

I'm looking for current Intel from folks who work or live or frequently visit downtown.
    Capitol Armory ad

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    I loved downtown Houston as teen and young adult. I wanted to live at 2016 Main. Cruised it almost every weekend, even Allan's Landing, and the clubs. I don't know about at night now, and probably won't find out.

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I one time stayed at the Magnolia Hotel for a wedding reception several years ago and ventured to the bars nearby and it was full of young crowds in their mid to late 20's. I kind of felt out of place. Sure was nice having young girls come to you escaping stalking young dudes. Sad when I told them I was married. Lol.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Downtown has gotten more residential over the years. It's a much better place now than it was 20 or 30 years ago. I wouldn't consider it a place to just "hang out" but there are plenty of things to see and do if you research it before you go. Since more people live downtown you have plenty of good restaurants and bars, but parking is always an issue if you go during a Rockets or Astros game.

The bums are always an issue. They are mainly on Main St along the rail line, at the Greyhound station and there's a big homeless camp near Minute Maid park underneath 59. Bring a gun and keep your head on a swivel and you'll be fine.

Night time brings a young twenty something crowd, plenty T&A to look at. Watch out for the various flash mobs that roll through on two and four wheels.

Sent from my SM-A135U1 using Tapatalk

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    We stopped going down 45 south of 1960 a couple years back. It’s only become worse. Dangerous thugs and increased potential for a self defense shooting. I don’t need it. Such a shame. I’ve seen a ton Of great rock and roll shows at House of blues over the years.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I wonder if Tejano Scott still lurks around here? He's gotten pretty big into the Houston slab scene, cruises around on one of those Sur-Ron electric bikes, stuff like that. Posts lots of videos online. It'd be fun to hang out with him for a weekend.

Haven't seen him around here in years.
    Or Curtis and Aaron.

Had to Google "slab".

Vehicle that's slow, loud and bangin.....

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    About 20+ years ago I took my girlfriend down town and did some bar hopping. Got to ride in a horse drown carriage instead of walking to each bar. We had a great time and hit about 20 bars. They were having a live music festival and I bought a multi pass so we could get in any of the 20 bars. One bar had a mariachi band that was smoking hot. They were really good and we enjoyed them the most.
    My Dr's office is at Hermon by the zoo. I see a lot of people going to the zoo.
    There are lots of restaurants along Studemont and Main street that look busy as I drive by. I think that's where the museum district is.
    I was sitting outside Hermon hospital waiting for my Dr's appointment a few weeks ago when a guy wearing a jail jumpsuit and jail sandals came running by me. He was really picking them up and laying them down. He was laser focused on running and never even looked at me. Cops surrounded the area about a minuet later. I don't know if they caught the guy or not.
    You really have to pay attention on where you are. One wrong turn and you can be somewhere you don't wanna be.
    Always keep your doors locked and your gun handy.

Last edited:

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    I have an office downtown that I visit a few times a week when I'm not chasing pipeline issues in the field. The tunnels are not quite as packed as pre Covid days, a few of the businesses within them have closed but are returning, less than 5% of the people wear a mask. The bums and hood rats tend to congregate together and are easy to spot, but Houston has nothing compared to Austin in that regard. Houston has one of the best food scenes in the country at the moment, pick your poison and enjoy. I don't go out late nights too often as I do not reside downtown but the bar/club/music scene isn't bad, I'd worry about arrogant and cocky early 20's drunk a-holes more than I would the slumdogs on the street to be honest. The traffic is what it is during rush hour. Come on down, enjoy your time, hit me up and I'll take you to lunch if I'm in the area.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    You can still find hot chicks like this if you know where to go.

3532966F-9E64-484B-B5AB-91560B0E9FB1.jpeg

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    there's a big homeless camp near Minute Maid park underneath 59.
    I remember back when the big homeless camp downtown was under the Pierce Elevated and stretched for blocks. Back then, my mom would fix giant pots of stew, load 'em in the back of a Mercury Marquis, and head down there. She'd just pull right into the middle of all that, pop the trunk, and dish out stew, bread, and water until she ran out.

She didn't tell me about it until much later. She was afraid I'd worry for her safety.

Then the 1990 Houston G-7 summit happened. It was ostensibly held at Rice University but a huge amount of work was done at the Leland federal building and in the offices of the law firm just the other side of the Pierce Elevated. In anticipation of that, the city dispersed that camp and made it illegal to feed the homeless the way she'd been doing. She had to stop.

Sorry. Just reminiscing a bit.

Thanks for the Intel. I can't imagine needing to be near that encampment but it's good to know where it is.

ETA - I checked and the kayak/canoe rentals that could easily go past that encampment don't. They stay well to the west of it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom