• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I may need to spend some time in downtown Houston in the future. I honestly haven't been there except for a quick trip to see a concert or play and then immediately leave in over a decade.

I'm wondering - These days, what's the "vibe" downtown?

Back in the day, there were lots of office workers running around during the day, packing the tunnels at lunch. It was a vibrant place during the day with a few things worth doing after dark, though wandering the streets would not fall into that category.

What's it like now? If I were in the middle of the tunnel system during a weekday lunch rush, would it be packed? What percentage of those people would be wearing masks? Have the beggars and homeless gotten worse or just concentrated in particular places?

What kind of first impression would it make on a foreign visitor?

I'm not looking for screeds about how stupid it is to consider getting out of your car anywhere within five miles of downtown. I know plenty of people who feel that way for their own reasons and I accept their viewpoints as valid for them. But that sort of response would be distinctly unhelpful.

I'm looking for current Intel from folks who work or live or frequently visit downtown.
    >
    The cafe @ “Challenger Green” mid downtown is nice. I only like downtown on Sunday mornings for bike rides.
    Venture Surplus ad

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I only like downtown on Sunday mornings for bike rides.
    Deserted downtowns on Sunday mornings are perfect for new motorcycle riders. Lots of signs and signals to process at low-ish speeds without much traffic makes for a great learning environment.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    I used to be the morning sign-on DJ on weekends at a downtown Houston radio station, a few blocks west of the bus station. My main memory of the 5 AM runs were the deserted streets and the rats scurrying around. Big rats. Anyway this was way back in 1968. The city had no downtown residents back then except that new (then) high rise near the pierce elevated.

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    I used to be the morning sign-on DJ on weekends at a downtown Houston radio station, a few blocks west of the bus station. My main memory of the 5 AM runs were the deserted streets and the rats scurrying around. Big rats. Anyway this was way back in 1968. The city had no downtown residents back then except that new (then) high rise near the pierce elevated.
    Which radio station?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The city had no downtown residents back then except that new (then) high rise near the pierce elevated.
    2016 Main.

The penthouse in that building where John Travolta filmed a scene in Urban Cowboy is for sale right now. Its asking price is $399K iirc. That's an amazing drop in price from the millions that it has sold for in the past. Given how the neighborhood right around it has deteriorated, I'm not really surprised.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Our last Houston home was on the corner of Southmore & Austin, just South of downtown, some 4 or 5 blocks North of Hermann Park. Even back in 2008, we had MS13 all over, but never had a problem with them. Just before we left, there was a home-invasion double murder a couple blocks away. However, it seemed relatively “safe” compared to our next home in downtown New Orleans.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Our last Houston home was on the corner of Southmore & Austin, just South of downtown, some 4 or 5 blocks North of Hermann Park. Even back in 2008, we had MS13 all over, but never had a problem with them. Just before we left, there was a home-invasion double murder a couple blocks away. However, it seemed relatively “safe” compared to our next home in downtown New Orleans.
    If you chase money. You chase trouble.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Was it the old location - two stories tall with seating upstairs, wooden floors, and no ac? That is the one I remember but that was in the 60s and early 70s.
    Yes, that was it. This would have been late 60's because we moved away from Houston in 1970 and never looked back.

I remember sitting upstairs and looking down at the guys working behind the counter. I recall the seating being something like a single seat school desk with a half top.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes, that was it. This would have been late 60's because we moved away from Houston in 1970 and never looked back.

I remember sitting upstairs and looking down at the guys working behind the counter. I recall the seating being something like a single seat school desk with a half top.
    Houston, as a place to live & work, improved tremendously between 1981 and 2005. New freeways eased the historic traffic jams, street crime was a bit down, shopping was easier. If I had to choose b/t Austin & Houston while having to work, I’d rather Houston.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Which radio station?
    It was KTHT, Keep Tuned Here Today 790AM- I do believe it has changed call letters/owners several times since the 60's. Transmitter was out by the San Jac Monument. Turned it on remotely via the dial up telephone. The mercury vapor rectifiers (tubes) required a half hour pre-heat before hitting the High Voltage on the transmitter final.

As a college kid with late weekend hours I often just skipped sleeping the night before sign on duties Sat and Sun. Sometimes my girlfriend was with me and picked the music. But we always started 1st with Johnny Cash, Folsum Prison...

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    I was in Houston last year, November, for a wedding and did a little drive around.

Sunday, mid-day: A bit on the SE of downtown had a line of people wrapped around the block.

A Turkey Leg restaurant.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Diablo4151
    Top Bottom