• ...and so much more!
  • TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Excerpted from the Wall Street Journal:

Residents of Alto, Texas, Brace for Crime Spike After City Furloughs Police Force - WSJ.com

The Day the Law Left Town

Texas City Sends Police Packing to Cut Costs; Sheriff Plays Catch as Catch Can

By ANA CAMPOY

ALTO, Texas—People here are bracing for a spike in crime after the city put its police force on furlough.

"Everybody's talking about 'bolt your doors, buy a gun,' " said Monty Collins, Alto's mayor, who was against the measure.

City Council members sent the police home when they decided they couldn't afford them. On June 15, the police chief and his four officers secured the evidence room, changed the passwords on their computers and locked the department's doors for six months—longer if local finances don't improve by then.

For now, the Cherokee County sheriff's office, based 12 miles north in Rusk, is policing Alto, a city of about 1,200. Sheriff James Campbell said the extra load would strain his 25 deputies and reservists, who oversee a 1,000-square-mile territory. The sheriff is already responsible for the nearby city of Wells, which has a population of about 800 and earlier this year shed its only police officer. Crime went up initially, he said, but has stabilized.

"I'm going to try, but I can't guarantee you there will always be an officer in the town," Sheriff Campbell said of Alto.

With city budgets tight across the country, police departments are under the gun to cut costs. Some are disbanding special units. Some are shedding other personnel. And some small jurisdictions are doing away with their police forces altogether.

Half Moon Bay, Calif., is now patrolled by the San Mateo Sheriff's Office after city government earlier this month dissolved the local department to save more than $500,000 a year. Nazareth Borough, Pa., is negotiating a contract for public-safety services with a regional force. In Wenonah, N.J., voters will decide in November whether to eliminate its seven-officer force and have another municipality assume its policing. The move has the potential to slash around $300 to $400 from the average property tax bill of $9,000, in part by reducing employee insurance costs, according to the mayor.

Whether a county sheriff is obligated to provide public-safety services free of charge to a local community or is paid for them depends on state law. In most cases, the sheriff's office is paid, said Fred Wilson, director of operations at the National Sheriffs' Association.

The closure of small-town police forces is part of a broader consolidation of services in communities across the U.S. Keeping the peace is rarely a revenue-making operation and is easier to outsource to county or state agencies than responsibilities such as utilities, some officials say. Others see advantages in having a bigger, more professional force patrol their communities.

Proponents of local police say regional forces are stretched thin as it is. Outsourcing services to a bigger entity also erodes the ties between officers and the community, an essential element in crime fighting, said Mark Marshall, president of the International Association of Chiefs of Police and chief of the Smithfield, Va., police department.

"You get to the more reactive model that was used in the 1960s and 1970s, which was proven not to be the most successful," he said.

Alto, meaning "high" in Spanish for its perch above the wooded countryside, has been struggling. The city-owned natural-gas distribution system, from which it derives most of its revenue, needed expensive repairs, wiping out several hundred thousand dollars. Reduced sales and property tax collections from the sluggish economy are putting pressure on the town. City Council officials calculate a budget shortfall of around $185,000 for the fiscal year ending Sept. 30. It costs about $230,000 to run the police department.

"We had to do something drastic," said Jerry Flowers, councilman and hay farmer. "The police department, being a non-money-making entity, was the easiest to get rid of while we catch our breath and build up some cash."

Some in town, including Police Chief Charles Barron, say the city should have cut elsewhere, given local crime. Last year in Alto, where the per-capita crime rate exceeds the statewide level, there were 39 larcenies, 23 burglaries, two assaults, one robbery and one auto theft, or 66 crimes, compared to 51 the year before, though that year included a rape and four aggravated assaults.

"Why did they totally throw public safety to the wind?" said Mr. Barron. "If the city is broke as they say, I would think they can't afford anybody else either."

Mr. Flowers said the council was looking at cuts in other departments and would try to reinstate the police department after the furlough, although he thinks it should employ fewer officers.

Residents are circulating a petition demanding the city restore the force. Some business owners said they had removed valuable objects they don't use regularly from their places of work in preparation for the furlough. Others worry that the absence of local police could dissuade businesses and visitors from coming to town.

Some on the outskirts who are already under the sheriff's jurisdiction are also worried. Because of their proximity, Alto police officers were often the first responders to crime calls until county deputies arrived.

"The thought that we could be 35 or 40 minutes from getting the sheriff's deputy here, depending on where they are in the county, is scary," said Kelly Curry, manager of an off-road-vehicle park. Ms. Curry has two guns for self-defense.

Terri Underwood asks who's going to alert citizens when something goes awry in the middle of the night, like the time water began to cascade from the front door of her downtown cafe. "It could have been a lot worse had they not called me," Ms. Underwood said of the furloughed police.
    ARJ Defense ad

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    An educate and polite, yet armed society, trumps all those who would threaten to harm its members.

Police mostly respond to emergency calls, and cannot be at all places at all times. Police deterrence to crime only exists where they actively patrol.

An armed citizen has the God-Given right to protect himself, his family, and his property AT ALL TIMES.

WHY do we expect the Government to protect us from domestic threats to our safety when it cannot be done 100%?

Be well.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I agree that we have the right and obligation to protect our own, but remove the police force from ANY major city in the US and I guarantee all hell will break loose. Once you remove the "I might get caught" danger from common criminals, they would become very bold.

Police forces are a deterrent simply by their existence.

crabbys44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Austin
    ""We had to do something drastic," said Jerry Flowers, councilman and hay farmer. "The police department, being a non-money-making entity, was the easiest to get rid of while we catch our breath and build up some cash.""

How much will they really save when something happens and no one is around to respond? I live between cities and only have the Sheriff's Department for Police Services. There is just too much area to cover for them to begin with. Before the economy went in the crapper, I would usually see a Deputy twice during the day, at the beginning and at the end of shift. Now I don't see them anymore unless there is a call. It's not their fault, it's reality.

I got hit head on by a hit and run driver and it was almost 45 minutes for the Deputy to respond from the other side of the county. Lucky for me my truck took the damage and I wasn't trying to stuff my guts back in while I was waiting.

OTOH 66 crimes in a YEAR kind of boggles the mind.

Top Bottom