• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    As much as I like them, some of the poorest triggers I've tried have been on stock BHPs. They can be tuned up though, to a nice, clean-breaking and safe 5 lbs. The reset won't be as good as a 1911, but it'll do. It usually helps to remove the magazine safety.
    Bob

Thought about removing the mag disconnect but decided to just leave it all factory. I got plenty of other 9mms for range time.

I'll bring it to the next TGT Reunion for trolling purposes maybe.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Purdy...

e1f8c97334cdbc9f600cb89167ae0278.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BigTexasOne

Support gun control! Hit what you aim at!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2016
    Springtown
    As soon as I heard that production would be ending, I went out and bought a new Mark III before the gun shop owners heard and jacked the prices up. I put it in the safe, and have not fired it yet, not sure I will, not sure I won't, but I have a NIB Browning, made in Belgium HiPower!

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I love the feel, fit and finish of the Hi Powers.
    They are classic.

Though, and herein lies their downfall, I'd never choose one as a defensive firearm over a Glock or Sig 226 or Beretta 92 or any HK 9mm.

90 years ago the Hi Power was way ahead of it's time.
    No longer true.

Classic does not translate to consumer spending in this case.

Comparisons to the 1911 popularity only go so far as the 1911 is utterly unique.

Still......a sad loss.

True. I’d buy one for the heritage.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Surplus or brand new? Never thought I’d say this but you have worse luck than I do with guns lmao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's used but pretty decent condition except for a scratch on the slide. It's a Browning stamped commercial gun made by FN in Belgium. A MK Nothing model, from before the MK IIs and IIIs. It's kind of cool as long as you don't try to shoot it accurately.

JLBTEX18

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2015
    The moon
    A Hi-Power was my first centerfire handgun. Based on the S/N it was manufactured in 1982 by FN. Mine has a short spurred hammer and fixed front sight. Mag capacity was my primary reason for buying it. The heavy trigger didn't bother me until I bought my first 1911 clone. The Hi-Power has a beautiful finish and never had a FTE or FTF. But it is heavy. I take it to the range occasionally but it is not my everyday carry.

Ibmikey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2014
    East Texas
    CAB6FC7C-DB52-4966-8E10-1461A7AB38F0.jpeg
    I have six HP’s from pre war Belgian Army to 1990’s Captain tangent sight including Mk II & Mk III’s and love shooting every one. With the exception of the 1911 the finest pistol ever made !! Pull the mag safety out and trigger instantly becomes a nice easy pull and mags drop free like they should. At one time there were more HP’s in service than any other pistol, but alas the design and manufacturing costs cannot compete with today’s plastic wonders. Oops a Star Super is in this drawer also.

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2008
    Jacksonville, Tx, W.Monroe, La
    Awful triggers. Me and Sugar Land gauged mine and it came out to be a 13.5lb single action trigger pull.

I bought mine new back in 1984. Trigger was awful, although not that heavy. I tried polishing the face of the magazine safety and area on magazine where it moved and that helped the gritty feeling a little. I finally removed that safety and it did wonders.
    Finally several years later I sent it off to Cylinder & Slide to have a cnc milled hammer and sear installed, along with extended safety, mag release and BarSto match barrel. It's been a while since I have shot it so do not remember the exact pull weight, but it's light compared to a lot of new type semi auto's I have seen and very crisp. I have used it the last couple of times I had to qualify for my CHP and shot perfect scores, which is relatively easy. As I am getting older with some arthritis in my hands I appreciate the milder recoil as compared to my 1911 types.

The triggers can be made good, just takes time and like everything else a bit of money.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Inspired by this thread I took my minty Hi-power Competition Model GP out for a shoot yesterday afternoon.
    GP, Grande Puissance French for "Great Power"....I've got neurons wasted on that factoid.

Like this one:
    http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/FN Competition Model.htm

The slightly longer sight radius and very nice rear sight help it a bit compared to the more common Hi-power.
    The very good crisp trigger helps a LOT!!

A shooter.

A bit outside-the-box is that it's factory threaded for a can. Never tried it for that purpose. The threaded barrel has flat sides so it would fail to fully obturate the gasses though.

Last edited:

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    Inspired by this thread I took my minty Hi-power Competition Model GP out for a shoot yesterday afternoon.
    Like this one:

The slightly longer sight radius and very nice rear sight help it a bit compared to the more common Hi-power.

A shooter.

A bit outside-the-box is that it's factory threaded for a can. Never tried it for that purpose. The threaded barrel has flat sides so it would fail to fully obturate the gasses though.
    That's very cool. I've never seen that model before today.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    GP, Grande Puissance French for "Great Power"....I've got neurons wasted on that factoid.

Like this one:

A shooter.

I love that gun. I came so close to buying one at a gun show. It was the only one that I have ever seen, cool factory case and accessories too. But the greedy sumbitch would not deal within reason. I just wasn’t going to allow him to rape me on that deal.

He is one of those guys that will have the exact copy of one from another table and want hundreds more for his. And of course if you have one for sale yours is worth pennies on the dollar in his eyes. I won’t even talk to him anymore, all of his gun prices are always sooo out of whack.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    He is one of those guys that will have the exact copy of one from another table and want hundreds more for his. And of course if you have one for sale yours is worth pennies on the dollar in his eyes. I won’t even talk to him anymore, all of his gun prices are always sooo out of whack.

Why didn’t you just buy the one from he other table lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

topduarte

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2017

Like this one:

A shooter.

Now I want one

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I was thinking about it this morning when I saw a Browning sticker on a pickup.

I have always had a favorable opinion of Browning. I have some Browning gear. Their bird vests are sized well and well made. ANd I have some other stuff too. But I only have one Browning gun, a Buckmark 22.

Top Bottom