• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The FBI’s FISA Faults
    The documents show the bureau relied heavily on the Steele dossier.
    By The Editorial Board
    July 23, 2018 7:34 p.m. ET

The FBI over the weekend finally released its Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act applications for warrants against former Trump aide Carter Page, and now we know why the bureau resisted disclosure. Even in heavily redacted form, the applications confirm that the FBI relied on dubious partisan evidence to justify its warrant and withheld relevant information from the court.

The applications also vindicate the criticism of the FBI’s surveillance requests that were laid out in February by House Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes. The committee’s findings were based on a review of the FISA applications, which were still classified at the time. The main Nunes claim was that the FBI made the Steele dossier—which was commissioned by the Clinton campaign and Democratic National Committee—“an essential” part of its initial application. The FISA documents confirm this.

More than half of the first FISA application’s 66 pages are devoted to technical matters and a history of Russian electoral interference. Of the roughly 25 pages that focus on Mr. Page, much of it reports his dealings with Russians, his response to the news that he was under investigation, and a largely redacted conclusion.

The guts of the application is titled “Page’s Coordination With Russian Government Officials on 2016 U.S. Presidential Election Influence Activities.” This is the FBI’s evidence section, and, though heavily redacted, it looks to be almost entirely dossier-related.

Its opening paragraph says that the “FBI has learned that Page met with at least two Russian officials” on a trip to Russia in 2016 and that it got this information from an “FBI confidential human source (Source #1),” who is dossier author Christopher Steele. Most of what is unredacted that follows details the dossier’s claims about these Russian meetings, with further reference to “Source #1.”

This is important given that FBI assistant director Bill Priestap told Congressional investigators in October 2017 that the FBI’s efforts to corroborate the dossier were still in their “infancy” at the time of the first application. Months later former FBI Director Jim Comey referred to the dossier as “salacious and unverified.” To date no investigator has offered public proof of the dossier’s most damaging claims. Yet on the basis of an uncorroborated document commissioned by a rival presidential campaign, the FBI accused a U.S. citizen of being an “agent of a foreign power” who should be wiretapped.

Mr. Nunes also reported that the FBI did not inform the FISA court that the dossier and trusted “source” (Christopher Steele) were paid by the Clinton campaign. And sure enough, nowhere do the FISA applications mention the words Clinton, Democratic National Committee, Fusion GPS (the Clinton-financed oppo research firm that hired Mr. Steele), or Fusion co-founder Glenn Simpson.

Several convoluted footnotes refer to “Source #1” (Mr. Steele) and a “U.S.-based law firm” (Clinton firm Perkins Coie), as well as an “identified U.S. person” (Mr. Simpson) who was “likely” interested in discrediting Mr. Trump. These obscure references are quickly followed by another footnote in which the FBI says that, despite that motivation, it is confident that “Source #1” is “credible.” So the FBI was vouching for this partisan source.

It’s true that the first application doesn’t mention any names. But it does refer to “Candidate #1” (who is clearly Donald Trump ), “Candidate #2” ( Hillary Clinton ) and “Political Party #1” (Republicans). The FBI had an obligation to tell the court that the dossier and its “credible” source had been retained and paid for by “Candidate #2” and “Political Party #2” (Democrats), but it didn’t. By the way, Mr. Comey signed three of these applications, yet he claimed on his recent book tour that he “still” didn’t know who paid for the dossier.

The FISA documents also confirm that the FBI cited a Sept. 23, 2016 story in Yahoo News to buttress its Steele dossier information with the court—even though Mr. Steele was also the source for the Yahoo News story.

Democrats insist that the FBI used the Yahoo story only to describe Mr. Page’s response to the investigation, not for corroboration. The applications show otherwise. The FBI cites the Yahoo News story after its dossier-evidence section, noting that the story said that “intelligence reports” and a “well-placed Western intelligence source” had also made claims like those in the dossier. But the “reports” were the dossier, and the “Western intelligence source” was Mr. Steele.

Our media friends are dismissing all this as no big deal because they say Mr. Page’s history of personal Russian dealings justified his surveillance in any case. Yet so far no one has produced evidence that Mr. Page was anything but an innocent abroad who liked to boast about his contacts. He certainly was a minor figure in the Trump campaign.

And that still doesn’t justify the FBI’s use of uncorroborated partisan smears as part of its application. At best the FBI appears to have played fast and loose with the facts to stretch the ethical boundaries of the FISA statute. At worst the FBI dissembled to target a man because they wanted to unleash a counterintelligence campaign against a presidential campaign. Either one tarnishes the FBI’s reputation.

Democrats and their media allies won’t admit any of this because they are invested in the narrative that Russian meddling elected Donald Trump. But two years of investigation later we’re still waiting to see evidence of that. What the FISA applications show is that the FBI did abuse its surveillance powers. There’s still more to learn, and Mr. Trump should declassify and release everything that can be safely disclosed.

Appeared in the July 24, 2018, Wall Street Journal print edition.
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Do you KNOW anything about copyrighted material or are you just blathering and hoping to impress a few like you that have no idea. Then you desire to try and call somebody out like you are a shadow mod and a Charter member of the Society To Usurp People In Discussions (STUPID).

I write stuff and some I copyright, some (most) I don't and I have seen some of my original writing published under another name in the Newspaper.

Wash the STUPID off your fingers before you let them type...

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The editorial board of what? If you are going to post copyrighted material you should give them credit, post the link, and use quote marks in your post. Just say'in.

It says right there at the bottom, "Wall Street Journal". ;)

At least is does now. Seems I forgot the source this time. Now added.

I have never seen any forum so concerned about such things.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Do you KNOW anything about copyrighted material or are you just blathering and hoping to impress a few like you that have no idea. Then you desire to try and call somebody out like you are a shadow mod and a Charter member of the Society To Usurp People In Discussions (STUPID).

I write stuff and some I copyright, some (most) I don't and I have seen some of my original writing published under another name in the Newspaper.

Wash the STUPID off your fingers before you let them type...
    It is posts like the above that show your true self. On the spreadsheet you go!

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Well I come here to know about FiSA fiasco and end up learning about copyright on a forum. I haven't seen anything where Clapper admits on Anderson Cooper that The BHO admin. Was in the know.
    IF the DNC will rigg their own primary (and we know they did), it stands to reason they would try to unsurp the GOP candidate. The FBI and DOJ lost all credibility not that they had a lot to begin with. It is a soft tyranny, the swamp fights back.
    GPS Fusion, HRC, BHO, Comey, Rosenstein, Brennan, and Clapper should stand trial for treason. Did you know we use to hang those guilty of treason?

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    5. WOW. Making a voodoo doll out of your own faces with corn for eyes too.
    That will show him.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    something must be up the last few weeks have been really testy.
    Maybe the few synched their PMS? I came here after leaving a very popular gun forum. It got testy there every day which made it interesting. The mods censored my comments due to religion so I left. I imagine that those mostly on forums now are not millennials.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    olman.jpg

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Maybe the few synched their PMS? I came here after leaving a very popular gun forum. It got testy there every day which made it interesting. The mods censored my comments due to religion so I left. I imagine that those mostly on forums now are not millennials.

I'm a millennial, allbeit a very old one. I don't find most millennials to be that bad. I think most boomers and Xers don't realize that the youngest millennials are 20 and the oldest are almost 40 now. It's a weird mixture for a singular generation.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    I'm a millennial, allbeit a very old one. I don't find most millennials to be that bad. I think most boomers and Xers don't realize that the youngest millennials are 20 and the oldest are almost 40 now. It's a weird mixture for a singular generation.

I wasn't dissing millennials (for this anyway), I was implying that a bunch of old geezers or soon to be old geezers (myself) are basically on forums the most. I'm sure not following anyone on twitter.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom