• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldfalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Point Venture
    I am hopeful the ATF website mentioned stuff like zoning laws and such as this is a principle problem for anyone even thinking about doing it at home= Kitchen FFL which is what Klinton Krew went after to a degree.
    The OP mentioned doing the process with his girlfriend-
    Sure she is a nice gal and all but he better ponder this for a while-
    Get the FFL in your name or your corp. only- no partners -better if you split the sheets which is ALWAYS a distinct possibility.
    Lynx Defense

allencp78

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Missouri City, TX
    Update: I had my ATF initial visit two weeks ago. The very nice, easy going lady agent and two agents in training went over the laws and requirements, asked what my plan was, gave some very helpful lessons in what to do in certain scenarios, and that was it. She said the meeting was just info gathering and would be about 4 weeks before I would hear back from them. She asked for contact info for the HOA I'm in. I can't see there being any problem other than the HOA saying they don't want an FFL in the subdivision. There is nothing in the HOA regs that prohibits a home based business as long as there is no signage or evidence of business out in public (i.e. stuff piled up in the driveway).

cnl390

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Update: I had my ATF initial visit two weeks ago. The very nice, easy going lady agent and two agents in training went over the laws and requirements, asked what my plan was, gave some very helpful lessons in what to do in certain scenarios, and that was it. She said the meeting was just info gathering and would be about 4 weeks before I would hear back from them. She asked for contact info for the HOA I'm in. I can't see there being any problem other than the HOA saying they don't want an FFL in the subdivision. There is nothing in the HOA regs that prohibits a home based business as long as there is no signage or evidence of business out in public (i.e. stuff piled up in the driveway).

I looks like you are the most recent applicant to have made it "almost" through the entire process of obtaining an FFL. So I would assume you are pretty knowledgble concerning the requirements.
    What do they require as far as an actual business? An office, storefront or just a "location"? What type, if any, security measures are required? A locked room or closet, a safe, a security system, all of the above. And how are they on casual part time gun buyers/sellers, transfer agents, etc? Does the business have to be fulltime?

Thanks

allencp78

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Missouri City, TX
    They do not require a store front. "Kitchen Table" FFls are still allowed. You must have established business hours and obtain all licenses required to conduct business in your area. The agent did not mention a minimum numbers of hours per week that you must be open for business but I would suggest you have at least 20-30 hours a week of "business hours". You must conduct all business either at the listed business location or at a gun show. They require you to have some method of securing the firearms at the business location. This could be anything from a gun safe to trigger locks.

One thing she said that kind of concerned me was that the ATF can and will come to your business at least once per year to do a survey to determine if you are following the rules. They will come during their normal hours of operation, not yours. If your business hours don't start until after 5pm it does not matter. The agents will come between 8 and 4:30 Monday thru Friday. I guess they'll just have to call to make an appointment.

Top Bottom