• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ride4TheBrand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    The Lone Star State
    I haven't stepped inside a Walmart in over 9 years on purpose! But when I got my CHL several years ago, the trial run was made at the local supermarket ... and yeah ... it felt like I had a sign stamped on my forehead.
    ARJ Defense ad

kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    I can't remember if my first was Walmart or Best Buy, and it was only a few weeks ago... I went to both looking for something. It did feel a little strange, but in a good way. I had to keep myself from constantly adjusting my shirt,,,,

On a side note, I found out how sucky it is that the College carry bill didn't pass last year . I had to drive my daughter to SA yesterday to move her into her dorm and was not able to take my gun with me because it isn't allowed on campus, so even when I just swing by on the weekends to pick her up, I am not able to take my gun if I drive onto campus....that really sucks, because I don't like driving all the way to SA unarmed....we really need to get that bill passed or at least one that allows it to be in the vehicle....

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I did the obligatory Wally-Walk just for grins the day I got my card. But for real, was the next day when I carried to work, and to see a customer on 28th street north of the FW Stock Yards (pretty rough neigborhood) Pocket carried my PM9.

Rotgirl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2009
    Texas
    First carry was in the supermarket. And yes, I felt VERY conspicuous.

And to my horror, while I was bending over to get a 12-pack of soda from a bottom shelf, my jacket pulled up and got behind the grip of the .380 I was carrying at the time and I did not realize it.

I was turning back to get another 12-pack when I heard a man's voice whisper quietly in my ear "You're showing."

I stood straight up, absolutely horrified :eek:, and pulled my jacket back over the gun. He was VERY amused at my reaction but said "Don't sweat it. It happens."

He walked off and I was too mortified to do anything else but move off as well. Don't know if he was a cop or another CHLer but he taught me a lesson.

I've learned to position my guns better so whatever I'm wearing to conceal them has a less likely chance of getting up over the grip AND to think about how I reach for items. No more bending over! Squat for those low items!

And I've gotten good at inconspicuously checking to make sure my guns are covered after I've reached up for something on a high shelf.

Ciao ya'll.......rg

Starker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    The High Ground of Texas
    On a side note, I found out how sucky it is that the College carry bill didn't pass last year . I had to drive my daughter to SA yesterday to move her into her dorm and was not able to take my gun with me because it isn't allowed on campus, so even when I just swing by on the weekends to pick her up, I am not able to take my gun if I drive onto campus....that really sucks, because I don't like driving all the way to SA unarmed....we really need to get that bill passed or at least one that allows it to be in the vehicle....

Actually, you can carry on the campus. You may carry on streets and in parking lots. I believe that you can carry on sidewalks, as well, but I am not certain about that. However, you cannot carry into any buildings on the campus.

KellyAsh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Roatan, Honduras
    My first concealed carry was almost 15 years ago and I dont remember where it was to but it was odd for the longest time. To this day I still see people realize Im carrying, I just dont care anymore.

kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    Actually, you can carry on the campus. You may carry on streets and in parking lots. I believe that you can carry on sidewalks, as well, but I am not certain about that. However, you cannot carry into any buildings on the campus.

Thanks Starker, I just went back and re-read PC46.03 and it states on "Premises" which I nisunderstood. I should have read the definition in PC46.035 that says "Premises" is a building or portion of a building and does not apply to parking lots....Guess I should have read a little closer....That makes me feel better... cheers

BurkGlocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    Just like most of the OP, did the Wally Walk. I didnt even buy anything, just walked around for an hour and a half while the wife shopped. No one noticed, or no one cared.

Rock on!

Brad L.

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    I did the Wally Walk Thursday. I went clothes shopping for some CHL clothes. I needed more shorts with enough room for my holster and belt loops. My CW-9 conceals pretty well IWB, so after the first day, I kind of feel better about concealing without problems.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    When you first got your CHL, what was the first time/place you carried. Did it feel a little strange being armed in public for the first time?

First time was in Oak Harbor, WA in 2004. And yes, it was at Wal-Mart. I got dressed and carried around the house in the morning then went to get a few things from Wal-Mart around 10am. The town is pretty quiet and it would be an easy sort of first time. I wore jeans, a Tshirt and fleece pull-over (that's the official uniform of a Seattle-area resident, right?). I carried an uncle mike's nylon cheapie belt holster and my Beretta Cheetah 86.

I don't remember much of the walk getting my items but I sure do remember when I checked out. The entire time the cashier was scanning my stuff and each time she looked at me I was so nervous, "What if she knows...she knows...she totally knows." There was a person or two in line behind me I was waiting for them to freak out and yell "She's got a gun!". They never did.

I had both the devil and the angel on my shoulder talking to me at the same time. I swear if you could see that outloud I'd look like a looney. I had to keep reminding myself, "It's legal. You're legal. You're not doing anything wrong!"

I got out of there as calm but as quick as I could. Got to the truck and whew! I was finally safe.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    For my 6th birthday at age 6 I open carried a 6 shot revolver in a leather holster all over town. Of course I was also wearing a cowboy hat and vest (it was a 4 piece set/plastic). To be honest I was a little nervous.
    Ahh yes, the good ol' days. I remember those too and we used to play ARMY or Cowboy's & Indians (since we were politically incorrect hate filled kids back then) ... do that now and the parents would get thrown in jail or CPS would nab the kids. Sorry to digress ...had to reminisces for a moment about that evil killin' and shootin' as a kid. Carry on.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Jason's Deli was my first stop, at first was worried grip might show when I sat down but didn't feel odd after about a min or two, none of my friends knew I was packin heat and none of them figured it out

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Wally walk last thursday. It was in the morning before work, so I couldn't get the burger and fries. I got a sausage biscuit and hash browns instead.

Top Bottom