• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    HKSig, sounds like a strike out. But that’s the reason for this thread. Find the hidden gems and updates on the old stalwarts.

BTW, Snows is best on Saturday morning as that’s when Tootsie finishes her once a week stint on the pit
    ARJ Defense ad

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    HKSig, sounds like a strike out. But that’s the reason for this thread. Find the hidden gems and updates on the old stalwarts.

BTW, Snows is best on Saturday morning as that’s when Tootsie finishes her once a week stint on the pit

Pretty sure I heard Saturday morning is the only time its open. Anyone can confirm that? Seems it was in an article about that place.

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Sharon Allen's in Abilene.
    We're closer to the south side location, so we go there quite a bit. It's average, sometimes below.

Went to the old East side place yesterday.
    Oh yeah! That's the place to go.
    No marks against it.

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    Pretty sure I heard Saturday morning is the only time its open. Anyone can confirm that? Seems it was in an article about that place.

Snow’s is only open on Saturday. I was there this morning; in line a little after 7, and done and gone by 9. Everything was great, including the pork steak/pork shoulder.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    K-Hill BBQ
    Random street corners
    San Antonio

Really had to think through how much time I wanted to spend on this review.

I've got to stop having high hopes for new BBQ places, and get back to the tried and true joints that have served multiple generations of Texans.

That said, save $8 and get the sausage wrap if you decide to stop by, as sausage was the only thing that left a good impression. Guess I'll focus on it.

Sausage: Polish with a twist; deep pepper flavor without being overwhelming. No smoke permeated the meat though, and that was disappointing.

Everything else. Sides come in second place and they're standard restaurant supply bulk sides. Literally nothing done to make them unique or special.

Pickles were 'marinating' in some kind of bbq sauce looking liquid that was unappetizing. White onions, not Texas sweets. Standard jalapenos that are hard to mess up.

Won't even mention the beef. They call it brisket, but it doesn't deserve the word.

Won't be going back.

9d4f0ff7ffcca55653ce228eef5cf9af.jpg

Keep Calm and RTFU

Last edited:

rexster314

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    Harlem Road BBQ
    9823 Harlem Rd, Richmond, Texas 77407

We saw this place reviewed in the Houston Press several months ago. I honestly took pictures, but can't find them. It started out as a food truck, then added on a dining room sometime later. Brisket was spot on, good bark, seasoned with S/P. Sausage was ok, little mealy, but good flavor. Ribs were juicy and tender. Best side was the beans. They are cooked under the briskets, getting that wonderful rendered fat, plus have chunks of brisket in the beans. Best I've had. Others were ok, not great. Vinegary cole slaw, potato salad was homemade but pretty bland. But the beans, the beans. Pitmaster/owner was onsite and sat down to talk with us for a couple of minutes.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Billy's Oak Acres in Ft. Worth.
    Thanks for the tip on that place. Had about gave up on Finding any decent bbq or chicken fried steak up in Cowtown and we been hanging out there for the past 25 years or so. Guess one issue is we only go on the West side when somebody is in the horspital. Maybe they will open up a branch in the Mid Cities one of these days where we can try it out.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned The Salt Lick in Driftwood. The only barbecue I'll go out of my way to eat. Just look at this sight:

thesaltlick_fb.0.jpg

Order "Family Style" - they'll bring you meat and sides (made there, not from a bucket) 'till you beg them to stop. Then you can order their blackberry cobbler and somehow find more room. You can buy their sauce in some grocery stores (thankfully my local Brookshire's carries it) but using it at home is just not the same as putting it on that slow-cooked meat from their pit.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    We were highly dedicated comp bbq competitors for a decade or so. We are a bit snobbish..lol. We had to eat the leftovers. After giving up the hobby it took about five years to keep from puking at the smell of wood smoke. I have been able to eat a bit of it here lately. Some of he kin says Hard Eight in Roanoke is good but pricey.
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/hard-eight-bbq-roanoke

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    LOL, Bigwheel. I know the feeling. 16 hours later, you don't smell the smoke as keenly, and you aren't quite as in the mood for brisket as you were when you started, and that's just me in the backyard occasionally.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Recall the 2nd bbq cookoff we ever attanded in Commanche. Bumped into an old moss back pro who come over trying to mooch some coffee or a beer maybe. I axed him...."Do yall like to eat bbq?" He say..."Shit son..my neighbors dog dont even like bbq anymore." lol. After a few years I knew he was speaking the truth. Heres one of my old dust collectors.
    chicken.jpg

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Recall the 2nd bbq cookoff we ever attanded in Commanche. Bumped into an old moss back pro who come over trying to mooch some coffee or a beer maybe. I axed him...."Do yall like to eat bbq?" He say..."Shit son..my neighbors dog dont even like bbq anymore." lol. After a few years I knew he was speaking the truth. Heres one of my old dust collectors.
    View attachment 152374
    Did a few cookoffs.
    Best part of it was Sunday night. Bowl of corn flakes cereal after a shower. Leave your clothes outside.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    A couple of weeks ago we went to Texoma for a fishing trip. On the way home my buddy said we have to stop at this BBQ joint in McKinney. We were towing my boat and I really didn't want to try and find parking for that pig but he insisted.

So we head into McKinney and find the place. It's Hutchins BBQ. Got lucky and there was enough was a big enough spot on the curb for my boat and truck.

We go in and he tells me we're getting the "all you can eat" for $22.99.

It was the best Q I've had in the four years I've been in Texas.

The bad thing is it's an hour from home.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    About the cost of good brisket.

The better joints use Prime brisket. Ya don't see this grade of brisket often unless you're shopping at Costco. It's close to double the cost of Select and half again the cost of Choice.

It can also require a bit more trimming and will also shrink more, higher fat to meat ratio. A 12 lb Prime brisket can easily end up with less than 7 lbs of sellable product.

So that ~$3.79 a lb, 12 lb brisket when smoked ends up around can end up in the $6.50 per pound in just meat costs.

I know Hutchins wants $21.99 lb for brisket. Soulman's wants $17.99. One is suitable for dog food and the other is heaven on earth. The difference? Select vs Prime and pitmasters who actually love what they are doing.

I don't even know if Soulman's has a smoker in each location.

I do know that once you franchise it BBQ isn't worth eating. Dickey's, Baker's, Soulman's all come to mind.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Good point. Yield is big factor for those in the bbq business who are interestd in making money. Heard about prime brisket but never saw one in person. Our oldest boy is a wholesale grocery salesman in Little Rock..and sells to several bbq joints. He says most of the joints he deals with prefer what is called No Roll brisket. Which means its been inspected but not graded and typically comes out to the Select grade..meaning leaner...cheaper and better yield.
    https://www.recipetips.com/glossary-term/t--37377/noroll-beef.asp

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Good point. Yield is big factor for those in the bbq business who are interestd in making money. Heard about prime brisket but never saw one in person. Our oldest boy is a wholesale grocery salesman in Little Rock..and sells to several bbq joints. He says most of the joints he deals with prefer what is called No Roll brisket. Which means its been inspected but not graded and typically comes out to the Select grade..meaning leaner...cheaper and better yield.
    https://www.recipetips.com/glossary-term/t--37377/noroll-beef.asp

What do the rest of the joints want?

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Just dawned on me..one of my dear old chums from East Tarrant County has some very tasty bbq. His operation started a C store and fruit stand with a delii sandwich bar when we first hit this part of the world in 89. He cooks on a big Southern Pride commecial smoker about all protein groups..ribs..chicken etc. He is now a liquor store and bbq joint. They make the best smoked baloney sandwich in town. He also has a huge selection of yup beer and fancy wine. His name is Charlie Hall. His place is called Halls Liquor and wine on the corner of Glade Rd. and Hwy 121 Service Rd. In Colleyville actually. Yall stop in for a visit. Hes an illustrious hoo haw for the Masons so you might show him a secret sign to get a discount.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Halls-Wine-Spirits/212511548776330

Top Bottom