Join TexasGunTalk

The Gun Range in Killeen Gets Slapped by OSHA Police

Discussion in 'Killeen - Central TX' started by TX OMFS, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Younggun

Younggun Ginger Avenger TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I’m gonna take a wild guess and say you have no idea how OSHA works, have never actually dealt with OSHA, and have never actually had to try and apply any of their regulations in a real world setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX OMFS, Big Dipper and toddnjoyce like this.
  2. Dad_Roman

Dad_Roman TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Sure you can (and thats part of the point. If customers and workers are there, well.......)

Always...
    for sweeping vs vacuming...and broken PPE? (Like what...glasses broke?..ear plug cord broke?) <assumptions>

Absolutely absurd. Employee reported is the worst, and its usually a fired employee. (dont ask me how I know)

Sounds like you deal with them for sure. Please correct me if Im wrong.

I kinda hate to dip my toe in this one, also my experience was 20+ years ago.

We dont really know how all this went down so there is a lot of assumptions when discussed. When "they" show up, usually its with clipboard in hand, no announcement (used to). You could deny entry and politely request a written request for a future appointment along with written statement of accusations and areas to be inspected for said infractions. That buys you time to clean up, right your wrongs, etc etc.

When they come back at the set time you will HAVE to let them in because you agreed to it and they would make you miserable for any actions beyond anyways. (cops, court orders etc)

Hopefully you have your act together by then....its about buying a little time to avoid the hammer (so to speak)

Even after this particular event it seems there were a few minor infractions (although hard to say what "minor" is in their world. 214K seems a little stiff) and the facility was given 15 days to "clean up" and report back to them. (which is usually the way to go).

Better put the disclaimer in here...
    This was just my experience in layman terms....just my .02....YMMV

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    ZX9RCAM and toddnjoyce like this.
  3. Coiled

Coiled Well-Known

Nov 25, 2016
    SE Tx
    The General Industry Lead Standard (29 CFR 1910.1025) applies to all occupational exposures to lead with the exception of the construction industry and the agricultural industry (these are regulated separately). The General Industry Lead Standard applies to all employees at your shooting range.

https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/regulations/standardnumber/1910/1910.1025

Here is a 40 page, 6MB PDF put together by NSSF with OSHA's cooperation titled Lead Management & OSHA compliance for indoor shooting ranges.

https://www.usashooting.org/library...d_College_Programs/Lead_Management_-_NSSF.pdf

4. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Aren't a lot of .22 rounds solid lead?
    I've never been asked about my .22 ammo anywhere.

5. Army 1911

Army 1911 TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I'm just curious as to how the fines are set. Is there a schedule of problem=dollar amount or do they just pull it out of their ass.

6. karlac

karlac Gone fishin' ... TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

Aug 21, 2013
    WestU, TX
    I took the course and got "Lead Abatement Certified" in the construction business myself, in particular for remodeling homes built before 1978, so I could insure ALL the necessary steps were done properly.

The lead liability is some scary shit for anyone in business, especially small business owners

7. Shotgun Jeremy

Shotgun Jeremy TGT Addict

Jul 8, 2012
    Copperas Cove
    OSHA is so ridiculous with their fines. When I was working at a Nuclear Sub base, we had a guy who's main job was randomly inspecting and correcting shops on base to help keep OSHA off our ass. He told me that the fine for a 55 gallon drum lid ring being upside down was something like $80,000.
    Cans of spray paint had something like a 1 or 2 year shelf life, and then you had to go get it extended no more than 3 times for 6 months each.

OSHA is weird.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Dawico and Dad_Roman like this.
  8. Younggun

Younggun Ginger Avenger TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You might tell them to go away, but depending on the circumstance they might tell you to sit down and shut up.

Also, telling them to go away is likely going to guarantee you get it extra hard and without lube.

Even better, if I piss them off they are perfectly capable of levying hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines against ME, not just the company I work for. Teach me to trust that the safety glasses a guy on my crew wears were actually Z-87.

And damn it. What was I thinking allowing them to fill a water bottle from the igloo cooler on the truck. OSHA says I MUST have little paper cups that blow around everywhere, get dirty, and make a big mess. How dare I allow filling of their own water bottles. Another fine for that shit too, you punk as little shit. We saw that from the road, now wonder you wanted us to leave so we couldn’t see you getting people killed with these water bottles.

I don’t like OSHA. They may do a good thing every now and then. Might find a real issue here and there. Mostly they are a bureaucracy that supports and justifies itself through overzealous enforcement and heavy handed fines that tend to be a slap on the wrist for large corporations and a death sentence for small business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F350-6, Hoji, ZX9RCAM and 1 other person like this.
  9. Big Dipper

Big Dipper Well-Known

Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    With the excesses of laws, rules and regulations, everyone is guilty of something. Then it is merely up to the whims of some small satrap who to persecute.

Dawico and TX OMFS like this.
  10. Coiled

Coiled Well-Known

Nov 25, 2016
    SE Tx
    ^^ Nailed it! ^^