Join TexasGunTalk

The Gun Range in Killeen Gets Slapped by OSHA Police

Discussion in 'Killeen - Central TX' started by TX OMFS, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Shotgun Jeremy

Shotgun Jeremy TGT Addict

Jul 8, 2012
    Copperas Cove
    OSHA has some good practices. If we could get them do more training and less frequent and sizeable fining, it might change peoples attitude towards them.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Dawico and TX OMFS like this.
  2. Younggun

Younggun Ginger Avenger TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I can only imagine how ineffective and expensive their training would be.

Example: I’m requires to keep a HAZWOPER certification. Can’t do much job without it.

Out of a 40hr class it has exactly one paragraph the briefly mentions what I deal with.

We have an 8hr refresher every year the doesn’t cover it at all. But it’s a requirement.

Sure, it covers some government regs the nobody remembers because the reg is a bloated umbrellas policy that mostly isn’t pertinent. You learn about superfund sites the don’t actually have any bearing on how to do the job. But applicable information is lacking.

Hey, at least we know it’s not an MSDS anymore. Too many damn letters I guess.

Bureaucrats whipping out legislation in the form of regulation on subjects they know nothing about then sending a bunch of equally ignorant clip board wielding Napoleons out in to the field to wage war in common sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. robertc1024

robertc1024 Moderator Staff Member Moderator TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    If their mandate was prevention instead of persecution, I'd feel better about them. TX used to have department/ agency whatever, that would do a safety inspection for you .They would walk through your business and tell you what OSHA violations you have so you could fix them before the feds showed up

4. Coiled

Coiled online Supermodel

Nov 25, 2016
    SE Tx
    Lmao .. I still can't seem to get it right. Too many years the old way.

5. Dad_Roman

Dad_Roman TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    MmmmmHmmmm....Brought to you from the fine folks in the Blue Helmets.

...and its backwards, whatta bucha horseshyte.

ZX9RCAM likes this.
  6. Vaquero

Vaquero San Saba Songbird

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    Jacking up the gene pool.

7. TX OMFS

TX OMFS TGT Addict Forum Sponsor

Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    It's almost like our gubermint doesn't want new businesses to open or succeed.

Every time I turn around someone asks me about some reg I need to meet.

toddnjoyce and V-Tach like this.
  8. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If airborne lead level are low enough, employee testing isn't required. It's still a good idea.

If I'm reading the press release correctly, they had excessive airborne lead. Since that was the case, they were cited for sweeping (which puts lead in the air but is easily corrected), broken safety equipment (another easy remedy in most cases, but the press release didn't have much detail), and failing to test or monitor employees.

That last one disturbs me; it's the canary in the lead mine. If employee blood lead levels are rising, you have a problem. You don't know the problem exists, however, unless you're regularly testing. Their failure to do so is serious. Employee testing is the thing that ultimately tells you if your plans to deal with lead are succeeding and it's not smart to neglect to do any.

Even if you're not testing the air and your regular cleaning regimen seems lax, a solid record of blood tests showing your employees aren't ingesting lead would go a long way toward mitigating against receiving formal citations and fines. Even in cases where the lead level in the air doesn't create a legal requirement to test, it's good insurance. It's also the right thing to do for your people.

This range apparently managed to satisfy all requirements and resolve everything without anyone being hurt. Good for them. Too bad it took a failed inspection, citations, and proposed fines for them to get their act together.

toddnjoyce likes this.
  9. F350-6

F350-6 TGT Addict Lifetime Member

May 25, 2009
    I think the bigger issue is, compared to your average range, this one was already in the top 10% for cleanliness and not being a dump, so the targeted inspection makes it seam like someone has a vendetta.

karlac and toddnjoyce like this.
  10. TAZ

TAZ Well-Known

Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    While I tend to agree that OSHA, like many other regulatory agencies, need some serious reigning in, I’m confused why nobody is asking if the place was actually out of compliance with lead levels. Remember airborne lead levels don’t equate to clean floors. I’ve been to some indoor ranges that were filthy, yet I didn’t get a nasty headache from breathing inside the shooting stall. I’ve been to awesome looking ranger and gotten a headache from minutes inside. The 2 aren’t necessarily the same.

If they were exposing customers and employees to excessive lead levels, then they need to be fined.