The horticultural discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Food, Water Storage and other Prepper Gear' started by grasshopperglock, Jan 15, 2017.

1. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Error 404

Jan 5, 2012
    Fire ants to include black ants are killing my potatoes. None will make it through and I'm not eating ant poison flavored potatoes.

Little @$$holes. Fine. Next season Ill plant potatoes in a couple 30 gallon trash cans.

Sorry fire ants. This is why we can't grow nice things.

2. STXdevilsquid

STXdevilsquid Active Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    I wish fire ants and grass spurs would start a big war agains each other and kill each other off and take leaf cutter ants with them........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grasshopperglock likes this.
  3. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Diatomaceous Earth? It didn't kill my fire ants but it did redirect them. Maybe sprinkle it around your taters??

4. grasshopperglock

Jan 5, 2012

They seem to be there for the water and any sugar in the plant stem. All this happens under ground. It'll Jack a plant up.

5. F350-6

F350-6 Well-Known

May 25, 2009
    How many potatoes? Can you just plant more then they can eat (strategically of course) What's the distance to the closest visible and mound(s)? Have you tried bait like Amdro on the mounds in the vicinity of the potatoes to kill off the colony? That won't affect the taste of the taters.

6. grasshopperglock

Jan 5, 2012

The entire front and back yard have fireants. Little basturds have gotten smart. They don't build as many visible mounds. They've also went tactical. Building their homes under concrete. That includes the house's foundation. No telling how far underneath they've gone. They just know, I can't reach them.

I've used three types of poison. They make a dent in the population but doesn't slow them down. Besides, the entire rest of the neighborhood being saturated with fire ants, isn't helping.

On the potatoes. There isn't a visible mound. You can stir the top soil around and the ants will pour out like the plant is growing in a mound.

So far they've destroyed butter nut squash plants and cantaloupe. Attacking the roots and ground level stems.

My only option is growing in containers.

7. STXdevilsquid

Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    Try Ant Blocker?

8. STXdevilsquid

Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    [​IMG]

This stuff is good, actually took out leaf cutters after they decimated my apple trees

grasshopperglock likes this.
  9. grasshopperglock

Jan 5, 2012
    My deal. Is that I don't want any pesticide on food.

The plant will test out as having traces. Especially if that stuff does some kind of chemical reaction with the chemical salt fertilizer I use.

At least I have childhood memories of before fire ants. You could lay outside in the yard without being tormented by sorry, no good, African imported in coffee, a$sholes.

For the cost and negatives involved in pesticide and ants. The cost of an above ground, plastic lined planter is worth it.

I can mix soil in a trash can that will out perform Killeen suburban dirt. No poison involved.

10. F350-6

F350-6 Well-Known

May 25, 2009
    You'll still have to use pesticides around the perimeter since they can crawl up and over the sides. You'll also have to deal with grasshoppers since they have easy access and no competition.

If you want no bugs and no pesticides, I'd consider a greenhouse, yet some will still find their way in.