DK Firearms

The "I am probably moving to Corpus" thread....so tell me stuff.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One thing which always confuses newcomers is this: ‘’Corpus Christi Beach’’.better known locally as ‘’North Beach’’ is the little strand North of the channel near Harbor Bridge, on the Bay. This is not the ‘’nice’’ beach often seen in pictures. That beach is on Mustang & Padre Islands, across the Bay and a 20+ mile drive from town.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    TXI is still in the DFW area......one of the good guys..........good instructor too...........

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It looks like I am moving to Corpus next year and it will be long term.

What should I know about living in Corpus? The good, the bad and the ugly?

Tell me about your love and hate for the Corpus area.

I was there recently and ate at Kikos (not bad, I would eat there again) And the Republic Steak House (as good as any good steak place but the view....faaaaaaaantastic)
    >

Another confusing item for those new is the name of “South Padre Island Drive/Expressway”. This popular road runs, West-to-East, not ”South”, and does not lead to South Padre Island.

Sadly, many of the free “maps” violate cartogrpher’s convention by rotating the City and Bay some 90 degrees clockwise, to fit it onto a recactangular paper. Most of the City is along the Western shore, and Mustang Island/Port Aransas is to the East.

Also, the meme of “The Pass is at the Port, and the Port is at the Pass” explains that Port Aransas is situated ON the actual marine pass, across from Saint Joseph Island; while the City of Aransas Pass is several miles way by ferry.

Anther related local “meme” is “Port A, North; Port I (for Isabel) South”.

In the older parts of the City, “Uptown” & ”Downtown” usually refer to the Bluffs.

Originally, Water Street was along the shore. In the “between wars” era, a major dredging project produced what is now “Shoreline Drive”, the T-heads, and the L-head, where the Marinas are. All are man-made constructs. That is when the Bay Seawall was built.

One more confusion source is the term “Land Cut”. This refers to a dredging before WWII, when the GICW was constructed and North Lagoon was connected to South Lagoon by a navigible dredged channel, as it is today. “Land Cut” is NOT the division of North & South Padre Island by the Port Mansfield Channel, also a dredging product.

One major surprise to me was that many C C natives have never been to the nearby magnificent Gulf Beaches. Several told that they had been only once, many years earlier.

A major caveat is that, if considering purchase of any “waterfront” property; one should consult a MARINE chart to understand waterway access before committing. Back in the early 1970’s, when the “Puerto del Padre” area was developed, outside sailors would visit, go to upper floors and see the sailboats berthed in the marina, some 200 feet away, then see the beautiful Gulf waters some 1/4 mile away, and buy property. What a shock when they later learned that the two areas were some 30 miles apart by sailboat.

leVieux

Top Bottom