• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Because I don't accept the point of view that any publicity is good publicity. TGT is a business entity. If someone in your place of business is making you look bad, you're well within your rights to show them the door. So, just how good does it look to have a forum of 2A supporters tolerating a discussion wherein talking points out of the holocaust deniers playbook are being openly used? I think it looks bad enough for the business owners or their representatives to show the door to the person using those talking points.Three, in my opinion.

I agree that TGT, as a business, can do as it wishes.

I have also seen what personal disagreements between the mods and members has done to this place. On a few occasions I have agreed but mostly I have seen the bad in it.

To ban anybody because they are exercising freedom of speech in a thread promoting freedom of speech is disturbing to me. I hate to see TGT go down that road.
    ARJ Defense ad

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    To ban anybody because they are exercising freedom of speech in a thread promoting freedom of speech is disturbing to me.
    On that principle, we are solidly in agreement.

ETA - That almost came off as flip. I didn't mean it that way. I guess what I mean is that while principles are clear, e.g free speech == good, implementation is difficult. Besides, the mods have tools other than a permaban. They can warn. They can give temporary bans. They can, with however much gusto they wish, just ask someone to play nice(r). I don't think that would be out of line in this particular thread.

I think my heart's where yours is. But I've also moderated contentious discussions in the past and I know there are times when someone simply must step in and tell the parties involved to retire to neutral corners, at least for a while.

Last edited:

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    On another forum, I have been silently banned from certain (two) threads by the mods, with No comment or warning other then when I try to click there, it gives an auto message “you have been removed from this discussion.” And I can never get back in, it seems.

I didn’t even say anything rude or bad. I just told a rude member that if she was gonna twist my words around all the time that I wasn’t gonna reply to her in the discussion.

On another thread on the forum I explained why a on a particular discussion, they kept getting people coming in defending a particular position, and made references to the posts that were creating the problem and explained my theory why. They then told me I wasn’t welcome because I wasn’t like them and then the mods banned me from that discussion.

So there are mod tools.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    I got banned FOREVER from another firearms forum because I didnt much care for the articles of a famous old gun writer, who did his best shooting with his typewriter. I stated this on that forum, and after some heated debate, I was informed in a private message that I was banned forever! LOL! No big loss, all the members on there were big buddies and didn't care for any "outsider" opinions. Like I said, no big loss.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I got banned FOREVER from another firearms forum because I didnt much care for the articles of a famous old gun writer, who did his best shooting with his typewriter.
    I got into trouble once for pointing out to some folks that Peter Hathaway Capstick was a bartender in Africa and all his writings were re-tellings of stories he'd heard. He never actually did any of the stuff in any of his books. Unfortunately, I pointed this out long before it was generally known.

It's amazing how angry some people can become when you shine some light on their heroes and illuminate their shortcomings.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...then told me I wasn’t welcome because I wasn’t like them...
    That's the kind of moderation that bugs me. "Think in lockstep with us or be gone!" is a bad attitude. If someone is being a jerk just for the sake of being a jerk (Yeah, the line can get hazy, like it did in this thread.), they need to go.

But there are forums where expressing the slightest deviation from accepted dogma brings out the banhammer. Those forums tend to stay perfectly on topic.

They're also incredibly boring and not at all educational.

TGT seems to strike a great balance.

GeorgeandSugar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2017
    Como
    A hallmark of our society with all the unintended consequences such as “fake news”, or vile speech. However, for the rational mind, theses aspects of free speech or the reporting we read and hear about can be quickly dispensed with except in the case of those whose intellectual capacity is limited, their moral compass is skewed or their overall bias is simply too greater. As I saw in another post. Personally, I appreciate the debate and divergent views exchanged on these forums. It allows me to step back from my own held beliefs to consider another viewpoint.

02e04755e08ec153818b1cce8327ea4f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    That's the kind of moderation that bugs me. "Think in lockstep with us or be gone!" is a bad attitude. If someone is being a jerk just for the sake of being a jerk (Yeah, the line can get hazy, like it did in this thread.), they need to go.

But there are forums where expressing the slightest deviation from accepted dogma brings out the banhammer. Those forums tend to stay perfectly on topic.

They're also incredibly boring and not at all educational.

TGT seems to strike a great balance.

Yeah, I was just removed from the discussion only. It was a discussion called “people who do not want to have kids”, yet instead of just talking about whatever not kid related, they lamented long and loud and often about how terrible parents were and often shouted “why?!?” To the sky about things parents did. Then parents would come in and try to answer, and there would be a big battle of drama. After one of these battles, I suggested that their asking “whyyyyy?!?” in a public thread was bringing in explanations that, if they didn’t want, they should probably stop with the “whyyyyy?!?” And choose some other expression that didn’t beg an answer or make the thread a private group. They then said “so now we CAN’T say ‘why?! you say?!” And “we didn’t say that?!”

But when I quoted one of the mods who said it in the thread to point out yes they did... then I get removed from the talk.

I also got removed on there from a debate thread about Trump’s Administration for calling out someone who just said repeatedly that my arguments were a fail (instead of proving it) and twisting my words. When I reported this I got removed and since no one was debating the thread died.

But this is an international forum with mostly ladies who have very liberal views. I am known as a conservative who boldly says what I want and I often get PMs from people who side with me but won’t speak up for fear of being bullied (which I often am). Often if I do it right, I can get a ridiculously liberal thread shut down because they will get mad at me and lose it and become rude in their comments, which is not tolerated there. VERY different from here; here is more low key and that’s nice.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Debate is good, I certainly wouldn't want everyone to think like me. I have learned a lot here.

I may not care for comments that try to belittle others, but I can take it and if I'm wrong I try to live up to it and not try to insult in doing so.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    A hallmark of our society with all the unintended consequences such as “fake news”, or vile speech. However, for the rational mind, theses aspects of free speech or the reporting we read and hear about can be quickly dispensed with except in the case of those whose intellectual capacity is limited, their moral compass is skewed or their overall bias is simply too greater. As I saw in another post. Personally, I appreciate the debate and divergent views exchanged on these forums. It allows me to step back from my own held beliefs to consider another viewpoint.

View attachment 129256

HEY! You stole my meme! LOL!

Doctor Moonpie prescribes the following:

1.) Stop typing
    2.) Step away from the computer.
    3.) Load range bag.
    4.) Go to gun range and exercise fingers and hands.
    5.) Shoot ALL available ammunitions.
    6.) Gunpowder smoke is good for the soul.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land

1.) Stop typing
    3.) Load range bag.

Better than opioids.
    More addictive though.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK

View attachment 129256

I'm curious to your post. I'm not sure of the plot point. You gain self righteousness on the belief your view is the most seemingly rational?

GeorgeandSugar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2017
    Como

1.) Stop typing
    3.) Load range bag.

My apologies! All credit for the image I posted goes to Moonpie. I could not wait to repost at the right opportunity. Re-reading “The stupid is strong with this one.” It is a good laugh! I chuckle every time.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Sheeeeesh........y'all need to go to the range more.
    Or love on a dog.

The wife grew up in Meyerland in Houston. Plenty of folks were there with serial numbers from the Nazis. Anyone who doesn't think the Holocaust was real has an odd reality going.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom