• ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The Cap and Tax Fiction - WSJ.com
    House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has put cap-and-trade legislation on a forced march through the House, and the bill may get a full vote as early as Friday. It looks as if the Democrats will have to destroy the discipline of economics to get it done.
    Despite House Energy and Commerce Chairman Henry Waxman's many payoffs to Members, rural and Blue Dog Democrats remain wary of voting for a bill that will impose crushing costs on their home-district businesses and consumers. The leadership's solution to this problem is to simply claim the bill defies the laws of economics.
    Their gambit got a boost this week, when the Congressional Budget Office did an analysis of what has come to be known as the Waxman-Markey bill. According to the CBO, the climate legislation would cost the average household only $175 a year by 2020. Edward Markey, Mr. Waxman's co-author, instantly set to crowing that the cost of upending the entire energy economy would be no more than a postage stamp a day for the average household. Amazing. A closer look at the CBO analysis finds that it contains so many caveats as to render it useless.
    More at the site.

It's been 100+ here in SA for the past few weeks. It's been so hot and tiring working in that heat (not an air conditioned shop!) that I came home last night and fell asleep by 7 and didn't wake again until it was time to go to work this morning. Without the AC in my home, I'd have a very hard time with this kind of heat. If they go with cap and trade, I'd barely be able to afford to eat if I wanted AC.
    DK Firearms

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I believe this administration will destroy our economy or what remains of it. Cap & Trade + the rationed health care system total disaster.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    At least cap and trade faces a huge uphill battle in the Senate. The coasts have huge representation in the House, but the Senate levels the playing field on crap like this.

I did see one extreme-left nutjob suggest that we should start apportioning Senate districts (and electoral votes) with the same system we use for Representatives. He really thought that California should be running the country...

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    At least cap and trade faces a huge uphill battle in the Senate. The coasts have huge representation in the House, but the Senate levels the playing field on crap like this.

I did see one extreme-left nutjob suggest that we should start apportioning Senate districts (and electoral votes) with the same system we use for Representatives. He really thought that California should be running the country...[/quote]

If that were to happen, I have no doubt Texas would secede along with quite a few other states...LMAO

Reverendbiker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    I did see one extreme-left nutjob suggest that we should start apportioning Senate districts (and electoral votes) with the same system we use for Representatives. He really thought that California should be running the country...
    ...and we all know what a good job California is doing in running itself ;)

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yeah, I saw. This has a better chance of failure in the Senate, IMO. Smaller states that are against this bill get more of a say in the Senate, and the big bullies like CA don't run the whole show.

Innocent-Bystander

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    I say we start cutting back on AC right now. The first building should be the Capital Building, the White House, Blair House, the offices of the Senate and House and the Supreme Court. Flip those circuit breakers right now and don't put them back on until October. As the VP said, we all need to sacrifice.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    I say we start cutting back on AC right now. The first building should be the Capital Building, the White House, Blair House, the offices of the Senate and House and the Supreme Court. Flip those circuit breakers right now and don't put them back on until October. As the VP said, we all need to sacrifice.

More than a few economist/historians have connected the beginnings of "Big Government" in the US to the development and installation of AC in Washington. Before the AC era, Senators, Representatives, and other assorted lackeys would leave DC en masse for the summer for cooler home districts. Now they stay there all year and think of silly (and often unconstitutional) crap.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    More than a few economist/historians have connected the beginnings of "Big Government" in the US to the development and installation of AC in Washington. Before the AC era, Senators, Representatives, and other assorted lackeys would leave DC en masse for the summer for cooler home districts. Now they stay there all year and think of silly (and often unconstitutional) crap.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom