• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    one thing that has turned me off on most steakhouses, is the high price and not getting the steak i really wanted when i ordered it. i have found out that i can cook one just as well, actually even better than some of the top chef's simply because i know exactly what i want in the finished product.

now here are my ideas on the perfect steak and how to cook them to make the perfect steak to eat and enjoy. i know that others may have different methods and that's totally fine. these are just my methods of what i know turns out what i consider the perfect steak.

first of all, the first step IMO is the most important, since it's the main ingredient, the steak! first you need a good cut of meat with the perfect amount of fat to meat ratio. it needs some fat IMO, since that is part of what gives the steak it's flavor and moisture. some people will trim off some of the fat along the edges if there seems to be too much. personally, i like it there and leave it. if possible, find a small grocery store with a meat department that will cut meat items to order. these are becoming harder to find, but they are out there and the meat is IMO way much better than any you will find in the big chain grocery stores. i like mine at least an inch to an inch and quarter in thickness. to me that is just about the perfect thickness for any steak. much more than that, it's a roast! sirloin, porterhouse, ribeye, or t-bone, makes no difference. choose what you like. and there are other great cuts as well, like a New York strip, or a Kansas City strip or flatiron. so go out and find that little grocery with a meat department and find your perfect steak!

next important thing for me is the fire in the grille. gotta have lots of hot fire to cook a steak. this is grilling, not smoking meat! i use a combination of charcoal briquets and hardwood. adds a little more heat with the coals when the hardwood burns down, plus adds some bit of smokey flavor to the steak. just adds to the flavor of what i like in a steak. you can tell it was cooked outdoors, rather than in the oven under the broiler. totally different flavor profiles to me. i like to cook mine about 5-6" off the coals, once they have become coals.

next, is the seasoning. now, i use a couple of different methods of seasoning for my steaks, but, what i do adhere to is simpler is better when it comes to steak IMO. one is just simple sea salt and course ground black pepper. that's it. another one i like is garlic pepper and sea salt. sometimes if i want to amp things up a bit, i will use some Cajun blackening seasoning. love the flavor of that seasoning, and it works on so many different types of meat that you might grille outdoors. that stuff is awesome tasting. then i like my meat to rest after seasoning at room temp for at least 20-30 minutes before cooking on the grille. i use to years ago, would marinate a steak before grilling it, but i haven't done that in close to twenty years now. the only steak i will marinate anymore is steak i'm grilling for fajita's. that's it. now after the steaks are at room temp or close, and right before they go on the hot grille, i lightly spray them with vegetable oil on both sides and place them on the grille. you should hear a loud sizzle if the grille is properly hot enough. now mine has an expanded metal grille, so it leaves nice pretty grill marks if it's at the right heat and hot enough as it should be. now this is where you have to find out what is the proper amount of time for your grille and your desired doneness. i like a medium to medium rare doneness for my steaks. very moist dark pink to light red in the center. i personally hate a well done steak, but i also don't want one so rare, that a good vet could have it back on it's feet in ten minutes either! some people like that. one that still bleeding and bawling! but you just have to find the perfect time to turn it over, and i personally don't like to turn mine over but once during the cooking. i also like to keep a spray bottle with water for huge flare-ups. minor ones that are cooking an singing that fat on the edges, till it's a bit dark and crusty is good. but you don't want to cook with the fire, but the coals. so a little is good, but too much fire flaring up is bad. just a little. now for me, mine come out just about perfect at 4-6 minutes a side. so about 8-12 minutes of total cooking time is just about perfect on my grille for a medium to medium rare steak.. now i like to let my steaks rest in their own juices, as well as apply some real melted butter on the top of the steaks while they are resting. i like to let mine rest about 5-10 minutes before serving. while they are resting, they are still cooking just a little bit as well as you see all those lovely steak juices running out on the plate. sheer deliciousness! now i might drizzle a bit of Worchestshire sauce on top of mine, but that's about it. some like a steak sauce. i refuse to eat a steak with ketchup. if you need ketchup with a steak, then it's poor cut of meat, and wasn't cooked properly. that is just a fact of life for me.

now i have worked long on perfecting these methods for myself, and just wanted to share them with others. my methods are not the only way to turn out a great tasting steak, but just what is perfect for me and what i have to cook steaks with over the years, and what i know that each and every time, will always turn out that great steak that we like.
    Venture Surplus ad

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Thanks a lot, @Axxe55 , it's not even 7AM and I want a steak. I do my steaks exactly they way that you described, with one exception. I coat mine with a tiny bit of olive oil before I put on the salt and pepper. If you've got a decent piece of meat to begin with, you'll have a great steak in the end.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Thanks a lot, @Axxe55 , it's not even 7AM and I want a steak. I do my steaks exactly they way that you described, with one exception. I coat mine with a tiny bit of olive oil before I put on the salt and pepper. If you've got a decent piece of meat to begin with, you'll have a great steak in the end.

Geezer, I found that just picking a better cut of meat to start with made one of the biggest difference in turning out a better steak.

And I found that finding a smaller grocery with a meat department was the key to finding a better steak to grill.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I'll disagree with you on a lot of what you wrote. A great (expensive) Steakhouse is one of my happy places. Not that I can't do what they do rather I enjoy sitting down with friends & drinks & a killer meal. Does Prime beef make the best steaks? Yes & no. I proved that to my chef buddy long ago & saved him a ton of money. I'll eat Select graded steaks(having ribeyes & lobster today, it's my bday)

Different meat requires different type of cooking. Just like you'r not likey to eat a brisket or skirts rare, an over cooked prime steak over cooked aint happening. Those who do not like rare meat will never know this simply because they don't like rare meat. A lean Select grade steak can be very good rare. When I say rare I want it warm thru. Much of that is done by tempering the meat to room temp then searing it to hold in what little fat is available. Blood is nutritious! Wild game steaks are proof of this, because they tend to be very lean.

Seaoning meat with salt before cooking is a big no no, as the salt draws out the juices. Pepper, garlic will burn at the temps I sear meat at. Remember be talking about cooking on the blocks of salt? That done at temp most home kitchen don't achieve.

Well done has it's place in cooking meat, but those meat have gelatious fat. Chuck roast, ox tails, chicken wings are prime examples. They coat your tongue & lips with that pic smacking fat, which is very satisfying.

Easiest way to good grill marks are to clean your grill get it hot then paint the grill with very salty water. When the grill turns white you are ready. I like making sauces for my steaks. Lean steaks means a butter sauce to give you the fat load most of our bodies crave. Prime steaks I like doing wine reductions, but even those get butter.

Burgers give you about the best ideas as to fat to rare ratios go. I love a good 80% greasy burger, but no more then a rare lean burger.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Y'all missed possibly the biggest differentiating factor in a steak from a good steakhouse and whatever it is you're cooking up at home - dry aging.
    Dry aging is best left for hanging meat! When I started killing deer here in Texas I really did miss hanging my deer in the garage under the right temp.

We even hung game birds with feathers on & guys in. A truly better tasting bird cannot be had!

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I do like 80% ground beef for burgers. With the lid on my Weber, the grease drippings make some good smokey flavor for the burgers. Sometimes, I'll mix some chunky homemade salsa into the ground beef before grilling. Not too much or the burgers won't stay together.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    "its" not "it's"

An inch is way too thin for a proper steak. An inch and a half minimum, but two inches is better.

"grill", not "grille"

Never use charcoal briquettes. They have binders that mess with your food. Use natural hardwood charcoal, or make your own.

You are overseasoning. Only salt should be on a steak. Preferably kosher, but very coarse sea salt will do in a pinch. A little pepper if you must. I will take you behind the woodshed and tan your fanny if you put Cajun seasoning on a steak.

Why do you hate apostrophes? Your abuse of them is unwarranted. They never did anything to you.

If you cook your steak to medium, you have ruined it and you need to save money and just eat a charred hamburger patty.

Worcestershire sauce? Even mentioning steak? We're going out behind the wood shed right now.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    I'll disagree with you on a lot of what you wrote. A great (expensive) Steakhouse is one of my happy places. Not that I can't do what they do rather I enjoy sitting down with friends & drinks & a killer meal. Does Prime beef make the best steaks? Yes & no. I proved that to my chef buddy long ago & saved him a ton of money. I'll eat Select graded steaks(having ribeyes & lobster today, it's my bday)

Different meat requires different type of cooking. Just like you'r not likey to eat a brisket or skirts rare, an over cooked prime steak over cooked aint happening. Those who do not like rare meat will never know this simply because they don't like rare meat. A lean Select grade steak can be very good rare. When I say rare I want it warm thru. Much of that is done by tempering the meat to room temp then searing it to hold in what little fat is available. Blood is nutritious! Wild game steaks are proof of this, because they tend to be very lean.

Seaoning meat with salt before cooking is a big no no, as the salt draws out the juices. Pepper, garlic will burn at the temps I sear meat at. Remember be talking about cooking on the blocks of salt? That done at temp most home kitchen don't achieve.

Well done has it's place in cooking meat, but those meat have gelatious fat. Chuck roast, ox tails, chicken wings are prime examples. They coat your tongue & lips with that pic smacking fat, which is very satisfying.

Easiest way to good grill marks are to clean your grill get it hot then paint the grill with very salty water. When the grill turns white you are ready. I like making sauces for my steaks. Lean steaks means a butter sauce to give you the fat load most of our bodies crave. Prime steaks I like doing wine reductions, but even those get butter.

Burgers give you about the best ideas as to fat to rare ratios go. I love a good 80% greasy burger, but no more then a rare lean burger.

Happy birthday. Enjoy your steak and lobster.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I do like 80% ground beef for burgers. With the lid on my Weber, the grease drippings make some good smokey flavor for the burgers. Sometimes, I'll mix some chunky homemade salsa into the ground beef before grilling. Not too much or the burgers won't stay together.
    Hamburger with anything mixed inside is meatloaf & I'm fine with that!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Baboon, Much of what I learned about grilling steaks was from an article I read some years ago, where they interviewed the head chef at Peter Luger's Steakhouse in New York.

My methods are not all inclusive as being the only way to cook a great steak, just that these methods work very well for me to turn out great steaks. And I do enjoy a steak cooked in different ways than just grilling. Some years ago, at a Cajun restaurant, I enjoyed a blackened steak that was absolutely wonderful.

I kind of got burnt out on going out for a decent steak, because I could do so much better myself at home, for a fourth of the cost.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I don't agree with everything you said, but this is on the money. A steakhouse is about the experience, not the steak (they just need to remember that a less than excellent steak will completely ruin the experience). I can cook a better steak than almost any steakhouse, but I still enjoy going to a good one on special occasions.

And prime versus select is definitely something to remember. The grades are based on visual inspection of the primal. If you have a good selection and spend a minute looking, you can find a select steak that is better than a prime steak.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Dry aging is best left for hanging meat! When I started killing deer here in Texas I really did miss hanging my deer in the garage under the right temp.

We even hung game birds with feathers on & guys in. A truly better tasting bird cannot be had!
    Buy a select standing rib roast. Liberally cover it in kosher salt. Put it in a broiler pan (with the drain rack), cover it with a plastic container or very loosely tented with foil, and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of weeks. Pull it out and trim the dry leather bits off of it. Then cut it into appropriately-sized steaks. It was great when I figured that out.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I don't agree with everything you said, but this is on the money. A steakhouse is about the experience, not the steak (they just need to remember that a less than excellent steak will completely ruin the experience). I can cook a better steak than almost any steakhouse, but I still enjoy going to a good one on special occasions.

And prime versus select is definitely something to remember. The grades are based on visual inspection of the primal. If you have a good selection and spend a minute looking, you can find a select steak that is better than a prime steak.
    I believe that 90% of the industry does this with a high speed cameras looking at where the rib section is broke from the chuck. I can also say after 37 years of cutting meat just because the box is labeled Select it does not include higher grades. With places across the country closed I would expect seeing high grade beef cheaper.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019

I guess I have been unfortunate since I haven't found a great steakhouse. So I would rather do them myself. Plus, I wasn't getting an excellent steak to eat.

I do agree, eating at a really, really nice restaurant is about the experience, but unless we go out of town, we aren't usually getting it here where I live. The exception is the new restaurant we have been eating at since it opened up. We know the owners and the head chef, the food is great, the service is excellent and the prices are very reasonable.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    The few steakhouses I have eaten at over the years that impress me, is Montana Mike's in New Braunfels, and the Grist Mill in Gruene. Outback Steakhouse is decent, plus they have the blooming onion appetizer!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Buy a select standing rib roast. Liberally cover it in kosher salt. Put it in a broiler pan (with the drain rack), cover it with a plastic container or very loosely tented with foil, and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of weeks. Pull it out and trim the dry leather bits off of it. Then cut it into appropriately-sized steaks. It was great when I figured that out.
    The Kings Feast @ the Texas Renaissance Festival has a damn good prime rib, for all you can eat for 2 hours.

Top Bottom