• dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Like I said, my apologies...I dont always have time to search all the possible threads things like this could be posted...

I guess I missed the first post. Thanks for sharing. This ammo reminds me of the Winchester Black Talon ammo. I thought only Law Enforcement could carry this ammo, but I could me wrong.

Booyah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    San Antonio
    I guess I missed the first post. Thanks for sharing. This ammo reminds me of the Winchester Black Talon ammo. I thought only Law Enforcement could carry this ammo, but I could me wrong.

They are pretty different actually. Black Talons or the current version of the same product, the Winchester Ranger T, are not indtended to fragment like these are. The 'sharp edges' I think are what are causing the complarisons to be drawn...but that has little to do with the ballistic performance of either of them.

Also the current 'law enforcement only' status of the Ranger T is only a marketing decision by Winchester...not a legal status. Outside of any wacky local ordinances, it is perfectly legal to purchase/carry.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The only thing these and Black Talons have in common is that they both have stupid names.

Black Talons are/were performers that were engineered to actually be effective in a shooting. Any of the first-line current-generation defensive hollow points can say the same thing (a few examples: HST, Ranger, Golden Saber). It's not something this new POS can claim.

Beware the bullet that claims to be the last you'll ever need. Most of the time, they're hype-based products that cannot back a single one of their claims.

FWIW, fragmenting handgun bullets are a stupid idea. Handguns simply don't have the power to make them work properly. Stick to a well-engineered HP from a reputable company. Save the overpriced, hype-driven shit like the RIP for tacticool morons who can barely tell which end of the gun is which.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Did you see the video? It's like firing shrapnel out a tube. I wouldn't use this ever for anything other than plinking. Self defense? Heck no! Look at the spires shooting out the sides and top... Aim small miss small? Forget it.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk

ShootingTheBull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    To be fair to them -- they're not firing shrapnel out of the tube; the "shrapnel" doesn't "shrap" until it's broken off the bullet by hydraulic forces entering the hollowpoint. In other words, if it doesn't hit something soft and squishy, it's not going to frag. So it's not like you're firing a lot of birdshot all the time; it only becomes (sort of like) birdshot after it's entered a body. Or a water jug, or a gel block.

Second, about the spires exiting the gel block -- it would be very unlikely for them to exit a body, since they're unlikely to penetrate more than a few inches as-is. You'd probably have to shoot a really shallow portion of a body to get the fragments to exit that body; maybe if you shot someone through their forearm, the fragments would fly out of the forearm and could pose a threat to bystanders in that case. Even then, they certainly wouldn't likely cause a LETHAL threat to anyone else; heck, once they've broken off and are flying free they may not even be able to penetrate the skin of a second person. But they could very well maintain enough energy and velocity that they could put out an eye or cause a real problem in someone's throat, so -- the POTENTIAL exists that the fragmented bits could possibly pose a threat to someone else, yes. I wouldn't think there's a high probability of it, but if Mr. Murphy is doing the shooting, it's within the realm of possibility that yes, something could go wrong enough to cause collateral damage.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Flying copper metal NOT a threat? Not likely to exit the body? Maybe if your aim is perfect and you got center mass, but that rarely happens every shot. What happens when you nick the arm, goes through their hands first, hits a barrier of some kind or any other type of very likely scenario? It's unpredictable to say the least, and that reason ALONE is why I wouldn't carry it. Wouldn't likely is likely not worth the risk of my loved ones.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Flying copper metal NOT a threat? Not likely to exit the body? Maybe if your aim is perfect and you got center mass, but that rarely happens every shot. What happens when you nick the arm, goes through their hands first, hits a barrier of some kind or any other type of very likely scenario? It's unpredictable to say the least, and that reason ALONE is why I wouldn't carry it. Wouldn't likely is likely not worth the risk of my loved ones.

I agree that it's unpredictable.

Just use a current-gen hollow point and sleep soundly at night. It's really that simple.

ShootingTheBull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    I do agree, and this is the reason so many of the "wonder bullets" are really bad ideas, like frangible rounds like DRT or "explosive fragmenting" rounds like Liberty... if they encounter an intermediate barrier such as an arm or hand, they'll fragment right then and there, leaving little actual ability to damage the torso itself.

The likey damage to a bystander is not likely to be very high, but neither is the likely damage to your target...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I do agree, and this is the reason so many of the "wonder bullets" are really bad ideas, like frangible rounds like DRT or "explosive fragmenting" rounds like Liberty... if they encounter an intermediate barrier such as an arm or hand, they'll fragment right then and there, leaving little actual ability to damage the torso itself.

The likey damage to a bystander is not likely to be very high, but neither is the likely damage to your target...

What's funny is that at least one of the fragmenting rounds that under performs horribly in a bare block will turn itself into an FMJ and zip right through a block after it hits wallboard. That's especially funny, since that bullet is from Glaser, who claims reduced lethality after hitting wallboard.

Top Bottom