• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Very cool. I will probably be traveling a little this summer and I will possible stay overnight in a park somewhere, good to know my CHL will be legitimate there.

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    In case no one remembered: As of today February 22, 2010, we can now (once again), carry concealed handguns in Texas (or reciprocal state’s) National Parks with a CHL.

National Park Service Press Release

Expanding our CC gun rights as to "where" we can carry is so much more important rather than the "whacko craze" some have in pushing OC. Again, it is nice to see that the focus of our pro-gun community is to expand the "where" we can CC rather than OC, which the anti-gun movement would really like us to push so they (i.e., the anti-gun folks) could continue to label us as "whackos".

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    Is there a list of TX National Parks somewhere?

U.S. National Park Service Find A Park

U.S. National Park Service - Experience Your America

http://www.nps.gov/state/tx/index.htm

Above are "National Park Service" NPS.GOV parks where we CAN carry.

Do not confuse these where we CAN, with the U.S. Army Corps of Enginerres, or the U.S. Forestry Service parks where we can NOT

http://www.recreation.gov/campgroundSearch.do

Some are special places, For example Lake Whitney, a US Army Corps of Engineers lake (where we CAN'T carry,) with a Whitney STATE PARK managed by Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. (where we CAN carry, according to a letter from Carter Smith, head of TPWD, in response to an e-mail to Governor Rick Perry, where I asked about State Parks on land leased from the USCOE.)

But, ALL NATIONAL PARK SERVICE National Parks, are ok for us to carry in now.

(I have no comment currently on County/City parks where we CAN carry per State Law, where the land is leased from the USCOE who says we CAN'T carry on their property.)

I'm not a lawyer.

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    Since you would be "traveling" could we have one in the vehicle, your temporary Domicile?

From my understanding of the following two statements:
    People who can legally possess firearms under federal and state law can now possess those firearms in the national parks in that state as of Feb 22, 2010.. Text here: http://www.nps.gov/hocu/parkmgmt/upload/PL%20512,%20111-241%5B1%5D.pdf

As of 2007, if you can legally possess a handgun, it is legal to carry that handgun (loaded or unloaded) in your vehicle as long as the handgun remains concealed. Texas Penal Code § 46.02 (a) below
    "travelling" doesn't matter ....If that's what you are asking.

It appears you could carry from your Towed Travel Trailer/motor home/"Premesis" to your vehicle and keep it/carry it in your vehicle concealed. I don't see that you may carry it BACK FROM your vehicle to the "Premesis" (house/trailer.) Just an odd observation I made.

I'm NOT a Lawyer, that's my layman's opinion.

But, see for yourself....
    Texas Penal Code § 46.02 (a) below http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/SOTWDocs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm

Texas Penal Code § 46.02
    Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
    (1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
    (2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
    (a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
    (1) the handgun is in plain view; or
    (2) the person is:
    (A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;
    (B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
    (C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.

(a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.
    (b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
    (c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.
    --------------
    Text of Section 512, P.L. 111-24
    SEC. 512. PROTECTING AMERICANS FROM VIOLENT CRIME.
    (b) Protecting the Right of Individuals To Bear arms in Units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System- The Secretary of the Interior shall not promulgate or enforce any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm including an assembled or functional firearm in any unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System if-- (1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and (2) the possession of the firearm is in compliance with the law of the State in which the unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System is located.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Expanding our CC gun rights as to "where" we can carry is so much more important rather than the "whacko craze" some have in pushing OC. Again, it is nice to see that the focus of our pro-gun community is to expand the "where" we can CC rather than OC, which the anti-gun movement would really like us to push so they (i.e., the anti-gun folks) could continue to label us as "whackos".

You are half right. ALL pro- gun right legislation is important, not just WHERE to carry. I will not debate this with you, as we all know where you stand, by your posts on the Open Carry thread.

I will say that there is nothing "wacko" about OC or the "craze" to have it pass into law. Just because YOU don't think it is important, does not make it "wacko", nor the people that support it. I lived in one of the most open carry states for many years and can say, that once people get use to it, the shock factor goes away and no one even bats an eye at it.

Like I said, I am not gonna debate this HERE....AGAIN, but I do take exception to the "wacko" comment. So.......PLEASE pick your words wisely.

haze10

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Granbury
    I remember reading somewhere that part of the annexation agreement for Texas to the US was that Texas retained the right to break into 5 separate territories, and that all parks would be owned by the State government. So there would not be 'national' parks in texas. I might have remembered this wrong.

Top Bottom