• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    First off, ignore wattage ratings. They're complete bullshit to begin with, and they tell you *zero* about how something will sound or perform. I could demo two systems for you, one at 25W the other at 1000W. Either could be the significantly better sounding system, just depends on what I pick ;)

The best judge is your ears, if that's possible. Try to find some setup somewhere and take a listen. Barring that, read reviews and see if you can find a pattern of people sharing reports of how the system sounds when playing back reasonably specific types of material.

For ease of use, many sound bars are designed to be more or less passive in normal use. Some will use the ARC (Audio Return Channel) feature of HDMI, others will use Toslink (fiber optic audio out) to get their signal directly from the TV. That way you don't have to switch sources - whatever is on TV comes out of the sound bar. Volume control can be somewhat more tricky, but if you stick with the same vendor as your TV it's usually pretty automatic. Other setups may require you to program the remote to send volume commands to the sound bar instead of the TV. Mine is this way, I have a TCL RokuTV and a Vizio 5.1 soundbar setup (rears are in-walls instead of the included cheapy speakers). I programmed the Roku remote to control the soundbar volume, connected it via optical cable, and I never have to touch anything. One simple factory remote.
    Gun Zone Deals

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    First off, ignore wattage ratings. They're complete bullshit to begin with, and they tell you *zero* about how something will sound or perform. I could demo two systems for you, one at 25W the other at 1000W. Either could be the significantly better sounding system, just depends on what I pick ;)

The best judge is your ears, if that's possible. Try to find some setup somewhere and take a listen. Barring that, read reviews and see if you can find a pattern of people sharing reports of how the system sounds when playing back reasonably specific types of material.

For ease of use, many sound bars are designed to be more or less passive in normal use. Some will use the ARC (Audio Return Channel) feature of HDMI, others will use Toslink (fiber optic audio out) to get their signal directly from the TV. That way you don't have to switch sources - whatever is on TV comes out of the sound bar. Volume control can be somewhat more tricky, but if you stick with the same vendor as your TV it's usually pretty automatic. Other setups may require you to program the remote to send volume commands to the sound bar instead of the TV. Mine is this way, I have a TCL RokuTV and a Vizio 5.1 soundbar setup (rears are in-walls instead of the included cheapy speakers). I programmed the Roku remote to control the soundbar volume, connected it via optical cable, and I never have to touch anything. One simple factory remote.

I use the toslink and have my speakers disabled, and since the TV and Soundbar are both Vizio the power button works for both.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Thanks Brains. That was actually a big help. This is a TCL/Roku.

Did you ever figure out how to bluetooth to the sound bar?
    I don't BT to the soundbar at all, the input stays on Optical. All audio goes through the TV, and Roku makes that pretty easy for most things. What I can't accomplish there, I accomplish with the PS4. For example, the Spotify app for Roku was pulled, so I just leave the Spotify app on the PS4 running. When I want music, I fire up Spotify on my phone, choose the PS4 as the audio playback system in the Spotify app, the PS4 wakes up, the TV automatically switches inputs, and voila - music. For media physically on my phone (pics, videos, music, whatever) the Roku app mirrors that over to the TV. The only downside I suppose is the TV has to be on, but that doesn't bother me.

As for power, when the TV powers off, the optical goes dark and the soundbar goes into sleep mode. Works perfectly.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I have an app on my phone and iPad to control the soundbar, so if I want to blue tooth music to it, I just change the input from my phone to BT, or the TV will mirror any videos or movies I’m watching on my phone or iPad.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Thanks Brains. That was actually a big help. This is a TCL/Roku.

Did you ever figure out how to bluetooth to the sound bar?
    I bought my girlfriend a similar set up for her apt bedroom and living room last yr. TCL/ROKU TVs and Yamaha sound bar from Costco. The bar has blue tooth capability but to have the tv control the bar volume it is connected via hdmi. It doesn't compare to my onkyo receiver with definitive tech surround speaker set up but it's pretty good for watching tv and movies in her apartment.

Like Brains said, the bar goes to sleep when the tv is off since it is connected via hdmi. We don't use it for music since we already had a bluetooth speaker that is fine for the apt size environment.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Bump for follow up...
    Roger that! Follow up.

First, Thank You to all of those who participated and had input here. It was very much appreciated from all. I hate when I feel backed into a corner by something you would think would be so simple eh?

I had some extended discussions with Karlac and decided to try ONE OF HIS RECOMMENDATIONS.
    81%2B8K6LRFKL._SX522_.jpg

Went with a PYLE stereo unit. It was actually very inexpensive but Karlac had told me of his sound design background and said this was basically "all ya needed".

He was right.....

The initial impression is that this is a really large box unit. Significantly taller than the slimline design of most audio systems for TV's nowadays. Of course on further inspection I understood why, its a "tunnel" design like a BOSE Soundwave and it puts out MASSIVE impressive bass. With 2 tweeters and 2 midrange's its really a magnificent piece of equipment especially when the price is considered. Like I said, I have an AIWA surround sound system but its soooo old (good, but old) that I couldnt connect to it. This Pyle System actually gives it a run for its money. It even has a 3D setting for attempted "surround". Its admirable but does not approach an actual surround system.

The only downside is the dimensions. Its fat-tall, and deep. Deep was ok but tall was an issue. The legs on the TV didnt raise it high enough for the unit to slide under and its WAYYY to fat to sit out front. The solution was ti simply rip 4x4 to the desired height and paint black. Never even see them while watching. In the piccy the camera added some light so you can see in the close up. Results: front of the Pyle even with the front of the TV...very pleased.

Watched Mortal Engines and Aquaman today. Stereo almost blew us away.

All in all....FANTASTIC results from some buds on TGT.

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

Attachments

• 81%2B8K6LRFKL._SX522_.jpg
      81%2B8K6LRFKL._SX522_.jpg
      32 KB · Views: 392
    • IMG_0383.jpg
      IMG_0383.jpg
      36.4 KB · Views: 320
    • IMG_0384.jpg
      IMG_0384.jpg
      37.9 KB · Views: 322
    Last edited:

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Roger that! Follow up.

First, Thank You to all of those who participated and had input here. It was very much appreciated from all. I hate when I feel backed into a corner by something you would think would be so simple eh?

I had some extended discussions with Karlac and decided to try ONE OF HIS RECOMMENDATIONS.
    View attachment 161074

Went with a PYLE stereo unit. It was actually very inexpensive but Karlac had told me of his sound design background and said this was basically "all ya needed".

He was right.....

The initial impression is that this is a really large box unit. Significantly taller than the slimline design of most audio systems for TV's nowadays. Of course on further inspection I understood why, its a "tunnel" design like a BOSE Soundwave and it puts out MASSIVE impressive bass. With 2 tweeters and 2 midrange's its really a magnificent piece of equipment especially when the price is considered. Like I said, I have an AIWA surround sound system but its soooo old (good, but old) that I couldnt connect to it. This Pyle System actually gives it a run for its money. It even has a 3D setting for attempted "surround". Its admirable but does not approach an actual surround system.

The only downside is the dimensions. Its fat-tall, and deep. Deep was ok but tall was an issue. The legs on the TV didnt raise it high enough for the unit to slide under and its WAYYY to fat to sit out front. The solution was ti simply rip 4x4 to the desired height and paint black. Never even see them while watching. In the piccy the camera added some light so you can see in the close up. Results: front of the Pyle even with the front of the TV...very pleased.

Watched Mortal Engines and Aquaman today. Stereo almost blew us away.

All in all....FANTASTIC results from some buds on TGT.

View attachment 161076
    View attachment 161077

Glad it worked out for you.

I liked mine so much I literally snatched some pre-dumpster trash from a neighbor (the metal framework) and cobbled together a TV stand (below) as a temporary solution to the dimensions.

A "good enough for now" until I could "build something better" ... yeah right! ... that was a few years back, and works too good to mess with it.

The bass is awesome for such a small package.

Attachments

• TV Stand for Pyle.jpg
      TV Stand for Pyle.jpg
      136.4 KB · Views: 224
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member