Join TexasGunTalk

The "New" new TV audio problems thread

Discussion in 'Electronics & Video Games' started by Dad_Roman, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Brains

Brains TGT Addict

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    First off, ignore wattage ratings. They're complete bullshit to begin with, and they tell you *zero* about how something will sound or perform. I could demo two systems for you, one at 25W the other at 1000W. Either could be the significantly better sounding system, just depends on what I pick ;)

The best judge is your ears, if that's possible. Try to find some setup somewhere and take a listen. Barring that, read reviews and see if you can find a pattern of people sharing reports of how the system sounds when playing back reasonably specific types of material.

For ease of use, many sound bars are designed to be more or less passive in normal use. Some will use the ARC (Audio Return Channel) feature of HDMI, others will use Toslink (fiber optic audio out) to get their signal directly from the TV. That way you don't have to switch sources - whatever is on TV comes out of the sound bar. Volume control can be somewhat more tricky, but if you stick with the same vendor as your TV it's usually pretty automatic. Other setups may require you to program the remote to send volume commands to the sound bar instead of the TV. Mine is this way, I have a TCL RokuTV and a Vizio 5.1 soundbar setup (rears are in-walls instead of the included cheapy speakers). I programmed the Roku remote to control the soundbar volume, connected it via optical cable, and I never have to touch anything. One simple factory remote.

TxStetson and ZX9RCAM like this.
  2. Dad_Roman

Dad_Roman Well-Known TGT Supporter

Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Thanks Brains. That was actually a big help. This is a TCL/Roku.

Did you ever figure out how to bluetooth to the sound bar?

vmax and ZX9RCAM like this.
  3. TxStetson

TxStetson TGT Addict TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

May 9, 2013
    Abilene
    I use the toslink and have my speakers disabled, and since the TV and Soundbar are both Vizio the power button works for both.

robertc1024, vmax and Dad_Roman like this.
  4. Brains

Brains TGT Addict

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    I don't BT to the soundbar at all, the input stays on Optical. All audio goes through the TV, and Roku makes that pretty easy for most things. What I can't accomplish there, I accomplish with the PS4. For example, the Spotify app for Roku was pulled, so I just leave the Spotify app on the PS4 running. When I want music, I fire up Spotify on my phone, choose the PS4 as the audio playback system in the Spotify app, the PS4 wakes up, the TV automatically switches inputs, and voila - music. For media physically on my phone (pics, videos, music, whatever) the Roku app mirrors that over to the TV. The only downside I suppose is the TV has to be on, but that doesn't bother me.

As for power, when the TV powers off, the optical goes dark and the soundbar goes into sleep mode. Works perfectly.

Dad_Roman and TxStetson like this.
  5. TxStetson

TxStetson TGT Addict TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

May 9, 2013
    Abilene
    I have an app on my phone and iPad to control the soundbar, so if I want to blue tooth music to it, I just change the input from my phone to BT, or the TV will mirror any videos or movies I’m watching on my phone or iPad.

Dad_Roman likes this.
  6. Davetex

Davetex TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 27, 2010
    Pflugerville
    I've got the same TCL/Roku setup. Roku has their speakers marked down right now. I just ordered some last week, suppose to get here Friday.

https://www.roku.com/

Dad_Roman likes this.
  7. Dad_Roman

Dad_Roman Well-Known TGT Supporter

Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Nice. Lemme know how they sound when you get em.

Davetex likes this.
  8. innominate

innominate Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    I bought my girlfriend a similar set up for her apt bedroom and living room last yr. TCL/ROKU TVs and Yamaha sound bar from Costco. The bar has blue tooth capability but to have the tv control the bar volume it is connected via hdmi. It doesn't compare to my onkyo receiver with definitive tech surround speaker set up but it's pretty good for watching tv and movies in her apartment.

Like Brains said, the bar goes to sleep when the tv is off since it is connected via hdmi. We don't use it for music since we already had a bluetooth speaker that is fine for the apt size environment.

Davetex likes this.