Capitol Armory ad

The New Prius... and the Owners of Them.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheCytochromeC

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    DFW
    The New Prius...

I was having lunch today when I met someone who was talking about their new Prius. He made a statement about how the new solar panel on the roof powers the AC while the car is parked (without the key in) and it keeps the car cool. This struck me as odd at first. In fact the more I thought about it, the more I realized that what he was saying was actually impossible according to the Second Law of Thermodynamics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_thermodynamics

He went on about how "efficient" and innovative the designers were for doing these types of things. So, after I parted ways I looked it up myself. http://www.toyota.com/prius/ebrochure/

So as you can see on page four it clearly says that the sun roof powers a fan, not the AC. This fan keeps the internal temp of the car almost to the temperature outside of the car. What really bugs me is that this is the opposite of efficient. This is fixing a problem that didn't exist in the first place. Cracking the windows a slight amount does the exact same thing... and doesn't require a solar panel either. I'm afraid to spend any more time looking into just how stupid this car or their owners can get...
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I was having lunch today when I met someone who was talking about their new Prius. He made a statement about how the new solar panel on the roof powers the AC while the car is parked (without the key in) and it keeps the car cool. This struck me as odd at first. In fact the more I thought about it, the more I realized that what he was saying was actually impossible according to the Second Law of Thermodynamics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_thermodynamics

He went on about how "efficient" and innovative the designers were for doing these types of things. So, after I parted ways I looked it up myself. http://www.toyota.com/prius/ebrochure/

So as you can see on page four it clearly says that the sun roof powers a fan, not the AC. This fan keeps the internal temp of the car almost to the temperature outside of the car. What really bugs me is that this is the opposite of efficient. This is fixing a problem that didn't exist in the first place. Cracking the windows a slight amount does the exact same thing... and doesn't require a solar panel either. I'm afraid to spend any more time looking into just how stupid this car or their owners can get...

Don't worry, they'll soon be cutting my truck off in traffic, and driving as fast as they can down hwy 6 on their way to College Station.
    I wonder if a taser would short them out and leave them stranded????? :what:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I will always love that test that the British version of Top Gear did with the Prius. They sent it around their race track to drive as fast as possible. On the rear bumper of the Prius, a high-performance BMW kept pace.

The Prius fell to 17 MPG when driven hard. The BMW, traveling at the same level of brio, got 2 or 4 (I forget exactly) more MPG.

Lesson - It's not what you drive. It's how you drive.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    My Jetta TDI is pushing around 50mpg combined with moderate driving, and 60+ mpg on the freeway at 70mph. Suck on that, you silly prius. Stupidest cars ever.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I checked out the Prius. I wasnt impressed with it for the money.

As far as an outright condemnation of all Prius owners...thats a bit silly and i hope the Prius crowd doesnt view all pick em up truck owners with equal disdain.

I like the idea of the Nissan Leaf but again, not for the money.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    If you want more fun facts, start looking into the "carbon footprint" stats on manufacturing Prius' vs most other common motor vehicles. Manufacturing Prius' is TERRIBLE for the environment.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If you want more fun facts, start looking into the "carbon footprint" stats on manufacturing Prius' vs most other common motor vehicles. Manufacturing Prius' is TERRIBLE for the environment.

Especially with the solar panel i imagine. I like green stuff that is real. A lot of it is just someones dream thats actually a nightmare. Like small scale wind power like on a ranch is awesome. The big wind farms are a farce.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Naw!, Prius's aren't that bad. My wife has a 2011 Prius V and her combined City/Highway mileage is 52mpg. The little thing is absolutely loaded with technology: rear view camera, crash avoidance auto-braking, lane divergence warning, USB ports, radar to keep various distances between you and the vehicle in front when on cruise control, HUD, regenerative braking, GPS, Bluetooth connectivity, hands free communications, headlight washers, heated seats, Three modes of driving; Power Mode uses gas engine and battery, Eco mode uses gas engine only, and EV mode which uses battery only (speed limited). We take her car instead of my Ram 1500 when we drive across Texas. The little thing will do 80+ all day without breaking a sweat, just doesn't get there as quickly as other vehicles.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    To each his own.
    I don't care what gets you around, just keep it out of my way.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    My Jetta TDI is pushing around 50mpg combined with moderate driving, and 60+ mpg on the freeway at 70mph. Suck on that, you silly prius. Stupidest cars ever.

Right on! A fellow Jetta TDI driver. I completely agree with your MPG #s and mine flat out hauls ass!

Mine:
    jyhy2uqy.jpg

Suck on this Prius fanbois:
    umu9enyh.jpg

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

And you'll get 200,000 miles out of the TDI. In 10-15 years, you won't have to buy a horribly expensive battery pack, either.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Wait till the batteries go bad on that Prius. You can kiss all those fuel savings goodbye.

Top Bottom