Hurley's Gold

The New Prius... and the Owners of Them.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Perhaps, but there's got to be a reason so many people seem to share the same opinion of them.

Something tells me they do.

Thats kind of my point. We all just line up and cast barbs. City vs country. Trucks vs Priui. If its all in good fun thats one thing but there seems to be a deep seated disdain for the "other" on both sides. Its gross.

I dont think id like a city dwelling Prius university liberal hypocrite any more than Cletus the slack jawed pick up truck driving yocal. Although admittedly, Cletus would be more fun to hang out with and more likely to help a person out...dammits i hate when i make other peoples points!

VW has terrible reliability ratings from what ive read. Is that just their gasoline models?

Last edited:

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Thats kind of my point. We all just line up and cast barbs. City vs country. Trucks vs Priui. If its all in good fun thats one thing but there seems to be a deep seated disdain for the "other" on both sides. Its gross.

I dont think id like a city dwelling Prius university liberal hypocrite any more than cleatus the slack jawed pick up truck driving yocal. Although admittedly, Cleatus would be more fun to hang out with and more likely to help a person out...dammits i hate when i make other peoples points!

VW has terrible reliability ratings from what ive read. Is that just their gasoline models?

VW's only have problems when people don't properly maintain them. If they are properly maintained, they are awesome. The ONLY complaint I have about them, are their electrical gremlins they are so famous for. Mine has them and it drives me nuts.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    VW's only have problems when people don't properly maintain them. If they are properly maintained, they are awesome. The ONLY complaint I have about them, are their electrical gremlins they are so famous for. Mine has them and it drives me nuts.

I wouldn't try telling that to someone with an '05/'06 TDI. :p

dunnrite

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Kingsland
    Naw!, Prius's aren't that bad. My wife has a 2011 Prius V and her combined City/Highway mileage is 52mpg. The little thing is absolutely loaded with technology: rear view camera, crash avoidance auto-braking, lane divergence warning, USB ports, radar to keep various distances between you and the vehicle in front when on cruise control, HUD, regenerative braking, GPS, Bluetooth connectivity, hands free communications, headlight washers, heated seats, Three modes of driving; Power Mode uses gas engine and battery, Eco mode uses gas engine only, and EV mode which uses battery only (speed limited). We take her car instead of my Ram 1500 when we drive across Texas. The little thing will do 80+ all day without breaking a sweat, just doesn't get there as quickly as other vehicles.
    We don't need cars that can drive themselves. We need people who can drive their cars.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I find it a amusing when people say they bought a $40k Prius to save money. Want to save money? Buy a well cared for 1988 CRX HF for $5-7k and still get the 50mpg that you'd get with the Prius.

Last edited:

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    And you'll get 200,000 miles out of the TDI. In 10-15 years, you won't have to buy a horribly expensive battery pack, either.

You'll just replace everything on the rest of the car, lol

Btw, fyi jetta.s address the preferred cars of the homosexual makes, not that there's anything wrong w that, kekeke

sent from my phone far far away, but still monitored by the NSA

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Right on! A fellow Jetta TDI driver. I completely agree with your MPG #s and mine flat out hauls ass!

Mine:
    jyhy2uqy.jpg

Suck on this Prius fanbois:
    umu9enyh.jpg

Nice looking car, and love your license plate.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I find it a amusing when people say they bought a $40k Prius to save money. Want to save money? Buy a well cared for 1988 CRX HF for $5-7k and still get the 50mpg that you'd get with the Prius.

I lot of people dont do that math. Like when people go from a paid for car to a new fuel efficient car with a loan to "save money" on gas. Just an excuse to buy something new and shiny.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I forget what year my dad's was, but after replacing the dual mass flywheel and an injection pump he couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

Oh, I forgot about the dual mass flywheels. There's a kit to convert to a regular flywheel, well worth the money when you do the first clutch job on the car. There's absolutely no reason for VW putting those junk dual mass flywheels in their cars... The newer TDIs don't use injection pumps, they're common rail. But in 06, the TDI engines (and 2.0T FSI) had bad steel in the camshafts, leading to failures.

Also avoid Audis with the CVT. Hell, avoid any car that's got a belt-type CVT. Great on gas, smooth as hell, but using a steel V belt to move the car just doesn't work for very long...

And don't get me started on the stupid DSG transmission.

You'll just replace everything on the rest of the car, lol

Btw, fyi jetta.s address the preferred cars of the homosexual makes, not that there's anything wrong w that, kekeke

sent from my phone far far away, but still monitored by the NSA

Yeah, they have electrical problems. And keep an eye on the alternator pulley... and the AC compressor...

Still more reliable than a Prius in the long term.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    My ac compressor was just replaced, now my door locks are on the fritz, and clutch is on its way out too lo

TheCytochromeC

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    DFW
    As far as an outright condemnation of all Prius owners...thats a bit silly and i hope the Prius crowd doesnt view all pick em up truck owners with equal disdain.

Sure, if saying someone is stupid is condemnation, then I agree. My OP suggests that all Prius owners are stupid. Yes, this is a harsh statement. Although, I only meant to imply that a significant portion of Prius owners are stupid. This is an unfair and clearly biased statement. Although, probably less than 1% of the population recalls hearing, nonetheless understands, "the laws of thermodynamics", everyone should know that one cannot give more than they can take, excluding the government. This is also unfair because a majority of the population is already stupid. Sure, we can contest what is and is not stupid, but you get the drift.

And yes, a significant portion of Prius owners view pick up truck owners with equal disdain, and Prius owners aren't the only ones.

What I really aimed to achieve with this post was to find out what new technology is being employed in these types of vehicles, and see if there actually is a need for it. I'd like to find out if this technology really efficient instead of attempts to be efficient. In an attempt to achieve this I'll remove, "and Owners of Them" from the Title.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Im no physics expert. I know the Prius has technology to capture some energy under braking but to me the biggest loss of energy has to be the heat generated in combustion. Unless they are trying to capture that heat energy and convert it back to stored electrical energy i think they are losing a lot of their efficiency.

Certainly most Prius owners would be doing better for the environment if they bought a small gas only car for $15,000 then planted $10,000 worth of trees but then they couldnt be conspicuous in their environmentalism. Better yet they could be like cool hippies and actually drive a veggie oil powered car.

Environmentally, id imagine all of those batteries and the nickel or whatever they are made from is horribly damaging to the environment but the latest enviro craze is CO2 emissions so the rivers and ground water be damned. Theyve got a statement to make and are more virtuous than you or I because of what they drive!

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    What I really aimed to achieve with this post was to find out what new technology is being employed in these types of vehicles, and see if there actually is a need for it. I'd like to find out if this technology really efficient instead of attempts to be efficient. In an attempt to achieve this I'll remove, "and Owners of Them" from the Title.
    Efficient by what measure? Sure, if you look at only MPG, then it looks fairly efficient, but lets look at the totality of the circumstance... See my post above about the CRX. The CRX HF cost about $8900 when new in 1988. If you adjust that for inflation it would be about $16k today. How is it Honda was able to make a cheap, reliable, 50mpg car with 1980's technology and a new Prius costs $40k? That seems incredibly inefficient to me. Let's also factor in maintenance costs. The Prius has an expensive battery pack that will have to be replaced every 7 years or so, plus added maintenance due to the CVT. There are tons of 25yo Hondas with conventional engines and transmissions still on the road today with only routine maintenance. I think you would be much better off in the long run buying one of the newer small cars getting ~40mpg on a conventional engine than a hybrid.

If you want to talk just about cool technology, look at Tesla. I think the new S model is pretty awesome. Problem is with the performance model costing $90k, it doesn't make a lick of sense. You can get a CTS-V and $30k worth of gas for that :laughing:

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom