• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Been reading and watching videos on the new Ryzen am4. It looks like it might actually give Intel a run for their money. There is not much out there on specs and info so I was wondering what you have heard about it. I thought I saw a release somewhere in the 1st quarter of 2017. Anyone have info on the actual socket?
    ARJ Defense ad

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Its AM4 with DDR4 support. Basically, they canned their whole R&D team, marketing team, and hired all new folks. Will compete with Intel but don't expect some over night revolution. As it stands, it forces Intel to make something other than a minor increase in performance since the market will get shaken up a little bit.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Its AM4 with DDR4 support. Basically, they canned their whole R&D team, marketing team, and hired all new folks. Will compete with Intel but don't expect some over night revolution. As it stands, it forces Intel to make something other than a minor increase in performance since the market will get shaken up a little bit.

Do you know if the AM4 socket will have the same style of cooler mounting? I would hate to have to replace my Corsair Hydro series water cooler. I am going to wait a few months after it is released to see how it works out in case there are bugs for the first batch released.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I don't think I read anything official on the style of cooler, but some rumors have said everything should be backwards compatible with AM3+

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    We'll find out in the next 4 weeks. Ryzen is due to release before March 3. Big expectations. I have mine tempered after faildozer, but I want AMD to succeed. The Intel monopoly is killing us.

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Fry's has them now as well as NewEgg. Will likely be my next build after the new wave of MB comes out.
    I prefer Asus RoG mb's myself...

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Do you know if the AM4 socket will have the same style of cooler mounting? I would hate to have to replace my Corsair Hydro series water cooler. I am going to wait a few months after it is released to see how it works out in case there are bugs for the first batch released.
    The standoffs that attach the support under the motherboard to the CPU cooler need to be shorter. If you do not use a new cooler it is possible that the bottom of the heat sink back will not rest against the CPU properly.

Last edited:

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I'm still waiting on my motherboard. Amazon let people pre-order without having enough supply inbound. 32 GB of RAM, a 1070, 512 M.2 SSD, 1700x, PSU, and case, all useless right now and has been for over a week. The only good thing is, the motherboard is drilled for AM3 and AM4, so I won't need the bracket from Corsair, despite getting one anyways for free.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I'm still waiting on my motherboard. Amazon let people pre-order without having enough supply inbound. 32 GB of RAM, a 1070, 512 M.2 SSD, 1700x, PSU, and case, all useless right now and has been for over a week. The only good thing is, the motherboard is drilled for AM3 and AM4, so I won't need the bracket from Corsair, despite getting one anyways for free.

You could cancel your order at Amazon and take a little drive (more than a little) to the Microcenter in Richardson, I was there Friday picking up a 1080 ti and they have Asus X370s stacked to the ceiling. Also believe they have ASrock x370 fatal1ty's stacked to the ceiling... it's the Gigabytes and MSI boards that are sold out. I would never trust another MSI board after the crappy VRMs they put on several series of boards.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I'm not to worried about it at this point, I've waited this long. It's an ASUS board but the online retailers are all sold out since that's how most people order. I figure the longer I wait the more pleasing it will be.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    I am about to pull the trigger on the asus crosshair VI hero rog mainboard and the amd flagship 500 dollar cpu for the ryzen. I need some suggestions on ddr4 ram. I will be running at least 32 gigs but I do not know what ram to get being I haven't bought ram in a while whats good now? what mix would work best with the new am4 setup?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom