Join TexasGunTalk

The NFA Trust and the obunghole regulations

Discussion in 'Class III / NFA' started by SC-Texas, Aug 29, 2013.

1. SC-Texas

SC-Texas Moderator Lifetime Member Forum Sponsor

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I spent most of the day talking to my clients about the proposed changes coming by fiat from the executive branch of the Obomber administration. This is what we know (other than fact that the nfatca selling us down the river and lying about it):

And the link to the whitehouse website.View Rule

So, the NFA trust is not going away. The effect of the new rules will largely depend on the definition of responsible person. If this the settlor only, them that is one thing. If ALL trustees are considered RPs, then the rule will have a much larger affect on the trust.

We will have to wait and see for a few more days.

What can be done? It's time to start getting the TSRA, the NRA involved in fighting this. it's time to start calling and emailing all of our congress critters and warning them that the Obomber administration is usurping the power of congress by back dooring anti-gun legislation and exceeding the authorit of the executive branch.

Sean Cody
    Attorney
    281-451-4175

2. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    You're kidding, right? I've rarely (never?) seen the NRA or TSRA stand up for this segment of shooters. There's nothing about this matter on the NRA web site. There's nothing on the NRA ILA web site. There's nothing on the TSRA web site.

The apparently moribund NFA Owners Association has nothing on their site, either.

That leaves the NFA Trade and Collectors Association. They briefly address the issue with, in more than one place on their web site, a bit of "calm down, the sky isn't falling". Specifically, Trust Changes Ahead... says that
    However, you refer to

which leaves me really confused.

First, what is the NFATCA doing to sell us down the river and how are they lying about it?

Second, isn't the advice of the NFATCA to utilize the public comment period a valid course of action?

Third, what can we do that's actually effective? I do not trust the NRA to do squat on this and apparently you don't trust the NFATCA, so what's the alternative? Yes, I plan on personally contacting my congresscritters by mail and phone but beyond that, what do you suggest?

3. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Because they started this crap and were stupid enough to believe the obunghole/holder ATF would do something beneficial r gun owners

4. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    So he waiting is over. It's Cleo signoffs for all. That's right, expanded Cleo signoffs.

5. HallisChalmers

HallisChalmers Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Spring, TX
    So NFATCA ratted us out to the Feds...and the ATF said, "Oh, thanks for helping us **** everybody. We'll get right on it."

And so here we are.

****.:mad:

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Well-Known TGT Supporter

Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    So when does all this regulation officially start? In other words...

What are we now required to do?
    Who is required to provide photos and fingerprints? Settlor only or Trustees as well?
    When are we required to do it?

I guess I'm speaking for those that have NFA Trusts already...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  7. ScorpionHunter

ScorpionHunter Active Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    Sean, what's your best guess if I submit Trust paperwork next week, would it be kicked back for a CLEO sign off?

8. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I am nearly dumbfounded at the stupidity and gall. Thank you for the history lesson. I'm going to go off and be despondent for a while.

9. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Nobody knows.

My recommended course of action is to immediately get trust now, immediately get NFA items now, submit and hope for the best.

IMO there is going to be a NFA feeding frenzy to buy items before this goes into effect. No different than price run-ups in CO, and other states when bans go into effect.

NFA stockpiles at dealers are very, very low. And lead times to replenish are very, very long.

10. ScorpionHunter

ScorpionHunter Active Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    I believe the multiple gun sale reporting requirement back in 2011 started as an executive order, and was implemented pretty quickly.