• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    Spring, TX
    I live in Spring, Harris County. There's a move in my future but I had not considered moving further north...until now. Thanks for the info.

Funny how just being this side of the creek makes a big difference, doesn't it?:rolleyes:

I just hope the Sheriff keeps getting re-elected and he doesn't change his mind due to politics.
    Military Camp

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Just did 1 SBR form 1 Friday, 2 more today, and 1 form 4 (gemtech HVT) today. All on my trust.
    Wondering if/when this thing goes into effect, would it even be possible for them to require it on pending applications? If so a lot of applications are gonna go into limbo...

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Just did 1 SBR form 1 Friday, 2 more today, and 1 form 4 (gemtech HVT) today. All on my trust.
    Wondering if/when this thing goes into effect, would it even be possible for them to require it on pending applications? If so a lot of applications are gonna go into limbo...

I have several in the pipe right now also. Most dating back to early 2013. I'm wondering the same.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Sugar Land PD chief told me to drop off the forms and he'll see from there when I asked him if he'd sign off for an SBR. Sounds better than "NO". I'm assuming he wants to run my background.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Sugar Land PD chief told me to drop off the forms and he'll see from there when I asked him if he'd sign off for an SBR. Sounds better than "NO". I'm assuming he wants to run my background.

I can see you know:
    "I am here to request your signature for an SBR"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzr-gpMSlEFU_5nCoMx3Aq3KxMDcSX7MHe5Hmtb2FxaaNLT8Hc.jpg

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    I have several in the pipe right now also. Most dating back to early 2013. I'm wondering the same.

I'm thinking not. It may have nothing to do with it, but once the forms are in the bureaucratic process and the checks cashed, it would be a nightmare for them to pull them out and require new documentation. What would the new status be, "pending, but not yet"? You submitted the forms and $200 according to the rules at the time, and would NOT have given them the money if you thought you couldn't get approved with the documents you submitted. That's what I'm hoping for, anyway.

Of course, they could just bring in a bunch of Organizing for America volunteers to help stuff the envelopes and send all our forms back to us (sans $200).

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I'm thinking not. It may have nothing to do with it, but once the forms are in the bureaucratic process and the checks cashed, it would be a nightmare for them to pull them out and require new documentation. What would the new status be, "pending, but not yet"? You submitted the forms and $200 according to the rules at the time, and would NOT have given them the money if you thought you couldn't get approved with the documents you submitted. That's what I'm hoping for, anyway.

Of course, they could just bring in a bunch of Organizing for America volunteers to help stuff the envelopes and send all our forms back to us (sans $200).

You say this as if our government has never created a bureaucratic nightmare before.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    It was also my understanding that everyone on a trust was already getting a BG before you were approved. I remember reading one article where they tested the system and put a non-violent felon on the trust and it was kicked back. If they aren't doing BG checks when the forms hit ATF, WTF takes 6 months to approve?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    It was also my understanding that everyone on a trust was already getting a BG before you were approved. I remember reading one article where they tested the system and put a non-violent felon on the trust and it was kicked back. If they aren't doing BG checks when the forms hit ATF, WTF takes 6 months to approve?

50,000 form backlog.

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    50,000 form backlog.

Let's imagine that there was no backlog, and all they are doing is checking that the trust is legit, that all the proper wording and previous NFA items are on the trust and schedule, then logging that into their system. I can't imagine that taking more than 2 hours per form. How the hell do you get a 50,000 form backlog in that case?

And here is an excellent article about the proposed changes for anyone interested.
    What Last Week?s ?Executive Action? on NFA Trust and Corporate Transfers Means To You - Soldier Systems

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Let's imagine that there was no backlog, and all they are doing is checking that the trust is legit, that all the proper wording and previous NFA items are on the trust and schedule, then logging that into their system. I can't imagine that taking more than 2 hours per form. How the hell do you get a 50,000 form backlog in that case?

Let "imagine" there are no gun laws at all why we are imagining things.

SidewaysTA

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX
    In my experience it takes pretty much the same amount of time to approve a trust form1/4 as it does to approve a individual form 1/4 which says to me that both trusts and individuals go through the same process including BC's.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    In my experience it takes pretty much the same amount of time to approve a trust form1/4 as it does to approve a individual form 1/4 which says to me that both trusts and individuals go through the same process including BC's.

Well you would be wrong.

Trusts do not even provide the most basic info to perform a BG Check (no prints, fingerprint cards for example), but do not worry, the BATFE is fixin' to change that.

SidewaysTA

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX
    I guess, just doesn't compute if they get to skip a step with trusts it should be approved faster. smh

I guess FBI BG checks don't take that long perhaps?

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I guess, just doesn't compute if they get to skip a step with trusts it should be approved faster. smh

I guess FBI BG checks don't take that long perhaps?

I think you are missing that several steps are done in parallel. When you submit a form, they send the check off to be be cashed, then send your prints to the FBI, and they put your form at the bottom of the pile. By the time your form has worked its way to the top (10 months or whatever it is now), your check has cleared and your BG check is approved. It then takes about 15 minutes to examiner time to process your form, affix a stamp, and get it ready to be sent back to you.

So with 12 examiners processing forms in 15 minutes 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, to process through the 50,000 forms ahead of yours is:

50,000 forms / (12 examiners x 4 forms/hr x 8 hours x 5 days/week)= 26 weeks. Then add in holidays, meetings, phone calls, training, short staff (they only had 9 examiners till last week), you can see why it takes so long.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Why can NICS run a BG check over the phone in 20 minutes tops with nothing more than a name and/or SSN.

Yet the same check through NFA branch takes 6 months and requires fingerprints, a photo, and permission slip from the police chief.

Either the NICS system is insufficient and therefore ineffective or the NFA check is intentionally being sandbagged, complicated, and drawn out to delay the exercise of a fundamental civil right.

Requiring responsible persons to submit names, addresses, SSNs or ID numbers (the stuff you need for a NICS check) I could understand. But WTF do they need all the other stuff for in this day and age ? Unless their goal from the start is to throw up roadblocks to deprive potential owners of their rights.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom