• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Ive decided im going to drop a rebuilt engine and rebuild the tranny in my 89' w100.

What Im wondering is fuel delivery options.

Im going to put a 360 la block vs. the weak 318 thats in it. The truck is fuel injected but, I was wondering if I could could bolt on a carburetor? As far as I know the 360 5.9 was not an option for the 1/2 ton trucks. Only the 3.9 and 5.2. So since that engine wasnt an option, how would they proceed at the inspection station? Im also wondering since will be a farm truck(farm use only) if I could bypass the fuel emission issues.
    Venture Surplus ad

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    do you ever plan on registering, or selling the vehicle at any point in time??? if not and you plan to only use it on the ranch and never off, I wont say you cant bypass any of the emissions, but if any of the above don't apply, take at own risk.

By law you would have to apply the emissions controls that were on the vehicle when it was built, per the decal that is usually mounted on the upper core support above the radiator or on underside of hood

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    yes I plan on driving the truck up to the farm its 2 hrs from here. So even though Im putting a different engine it still has to be fuel injected? The farm is in mills county. I might just register it up there and bypass all the emission hippies out there. Let me back up. There isnt a decal up on the hood, nor is there any writing on the on the sticker on the door jam. This was a former texas parks and rec truck.

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    You should be able to put on a carburetor but it would have to conform to whatever emission controls were in place on the vehicle that year. If you are unsure of what was in place in those years I would try calling the guys over at Cambridge here in San Antonio. I will PM you the phone number.

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    Check your pm for a shop here in SA that should be able to point you in the right direction. The vehicle will probably be required to conform to the emission controls that were installed when the vehicle was manufactured.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    country boy, I'd say run away from the thermoquad... look for a holly that will match up. The TQ's were a PITA when they came out, I can't imagine them being any better with this new gas they sell now... we had lots of problems with them warping and leaking fuel back in the '80's burned up a lot of cars like that. MG

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    you should be able to run a spacer plate with a matching bolt pattern for a 4bbl, I ran a holley 750 double pumper on my old Firebird with a spacer because the butterfly's wouldn't line up quite right with the opening on the intake.

Top Bottom