• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Nothing wrong with liking what you like when it comes to guns. That is a nice one; maybe too fancy for me and probably too expensive for my pocketbook but nice nonetheless. I like those grips, nice wood usually makes a firearm look much better than other materials, at least for me. One of my girlfriends once told me something similar about nice wood but that was decades ago.

I am wondering how the slots in the slide might affect the operation of the pistol; does less weight affect the recoil & how reliably well the slide works and does such a modification require a custom recoil spring, etc.. I do not modify firearms very much at all nor do I usually purchase custom made guns; so, I have no clue as to how a design modification like that would affect the pistol's function. Please enlighten my curious side.
    It was about the same price range as a Colt. The Performance Center at S&W takes a production 1911 and customizes it. It's frame is Scandium Aluminum which makes it a bit lighter for carrying. I switched out the G10 grips for Curly Koa because the G10 grips were chaffing my side while carrying.
    ARJ Defense ad

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Built this Caspian several years ago, to shoot Bowling Pins. (first day at the Armor Express Pin Shoot in '17....I "knocked" 47 others out in the MAN vs MAN event with it.

Caspian Frame & Slide. Ken Sight Diamond Aperture Rear Sight. Fiber Optic Front Sight. Storm Lake Barrel. All the rest of the parts are from FUSION.

The slide cuts on Easy Riders S&W will do two things. First, they will decrease "felt recoil". Second, the lighter slide will slightly increase the "cyclic rate" .......which in competition means better "split times" on the "double taps"....

On the fiber optic...over time they get affected by cleaning solvents, UV exposure...etc and will come out of the "hole" bored in the front sight.

About two minutes with a "light pipe" and a bic lighter...back in business for another 8 or 10 years.

If it comes out whilst shooting? Front sight makes a dandy aperture for some REALLY ACCURATE SHOOTING at range. (think of clay pigeons on the 75yd line accuracy)

Attachments

• Caspian with leather.JPG
      Caspian with leather.JPG
      87.2 KB · Views: 73
    • Caspian 255gr.JPG
      Caspian 255gr.JPG
      60.8 KB · Views: 58
    • Site View of Caspian.JPG
      Site View of Caspian.JPG
      74 KB · Views: 67
    • Caspian Mag Well.JPG
      Caspian Mag Well.JPG
      98.4 KB · Views: 65
    • Caspian Right Side.JPG
      Caspian Right Side.JPG
      107 KB · Views: 66

BCD 45

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2015
    TEXAS GULF COAST
    I find that a well built cross-draw holster is the best fit for me to be comfortable with. I actually forget
    sometimes that I have it on. Andrew's Leather makes the best one I've ever used, the 'CARJACKER'.

BCD 45

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    My opinion about DW pistols is for the money, they can't be beat. Also IMHO, the Valkyrie is the best
    model that DW ever made.

BCD 45
    Dan Wesson 1911's are what I call top-tier custom production pistols. Definitely at the top pf the food chain in 1911's, unless you have one built, or customized by a dedicated 1911 pistolsmith.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Hey Axe Man,

We have a LGS over in Beaver County that carries a variety of Dan Wessons...

On a "rain day" (when still working over there in '19) an Electrician friend of mine showed me the place! WoW!

I really liked the "BobTail Commander" .......!!

1632070122660.png

Gave it some serious thought.....(have two 1911 projects, one S&W Model 25-2 project on the bench now...need to finish FIRST) LOL

That DW BobTail....serious piece of equipment for "social work"!

Later, Mark

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Hey Axe Man,

On a "rain day" (when still working over there in '19) an Electrician friend of mine showed me the place! WoW!

View attachment 277799

Gave it some serious thought.....(have two 1911 projects, one S&W Model 25-2 project on the bench now...need to finish FIRST) LOL

Later, Mark

I've got one of those in 10mm.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Hey Axe Man,

View attachment 277799

Later, Mark

Now you just stop right there! I just finally got the first two divorces paid off, I sure don't need to start in on a third divorce!

Seriously, the first time I saw one of the "bob-tailed" 1911's, I wasn't really digging it. But as time as passed, they sort of are growing a bit on me, and I can see the purpose and utility in the modification. If I went back to carrying a 1911, it's something I would consider very much now.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Now you just stop right there! I just finally got the first two divorces paid off, I sure don't need to start in on a third divorce!

Seriously, the first time I saw one of the "bob-tailed" 1911's, I wasn't really digging it. But as time as passed, they sort of are growing a bit on me, and I can see the purpose and utility in the modification. If I went back to carrying a 1911, it's something I would consider very much now.
    I believe that's a round butt, not a bobtail. Similar, but there is a difference.

BCD 45

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2015
    TEXAS GULF COAST
    Dan Wesson 1911's are what I call top-tier custom production pistols. Definitely at the top pf the food chain in 1911's, unless you have one built, or customized by a dedicated 1911 pistolsmith.

I agree with you somewhat. I consider them to be "semi-custom" 1911's much like Nighthawk, Wilson, or Guncrafter.
    While being great 1911's in their own right, they're still not in the class with the other three I mentioned, NH, WC, & GI.
    The fit, finish, & hand fit parts are just a little better on the other 3 vs. DW.

Are the 3 I mentioned worth $1500 to $3000 more than a DW, HELL NO, NO WAY, BUT PEOPLE BUY THEM! Nighthawk's
    wait time for a custom build went from 6-8 weeks in 2019 TO OVER A YEAR WAIT TIME RIGHT NOW!!!

But DW's #1 main man left when CZ took over & I believe their quality is going to suffer. Many, many 1911 guys will not
    even consider a DW firearm unless it was made prior to 2019.

BCD 45

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Wow - that bob tail DW is freaking gorgeous. I have had a few 1911's, (Where's TexasRedneck?) and my favorite range toy is a Springfield RO in 9mm - I know, I know - heresy. My old eyeballs don't do well with the original 1911 sights. I wish I remember who the member was on here is that let me shoot his Nighthawk - that thing was, um, amazing (I thought of something else but Southpaw would have put in the OOC thread.)

BCD 45

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2015
    TEXAS GULF COAST
    Guys, there's a couple of DW 10mm's for sale at the 1911Addicts classifieds & the one by 'XringChaser' is a
    bobtail Classic I believe. And 'XringChaser' is as good as they get, a really fine guy!

BCD 45

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania

Hey Axe,

Can always tell the Mrs. .........She's needin' a better job.... :roflfunny:

In feel, almost like a round butt vs square butt "N" Frame....

Later, Mark

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Hey Axe,

Can always tell the Mrs. .........She's needin' a better job.... :roflfunny:

In feel, almost like a round butt vs square butt "N" Frame....

Later, Mark
    Mark, IF I had spent the money on guns, that I spent on my two divorces, I'd have to have a few semi-trailers to load them up in!

Seriously, I have not seen, or held one yet in person. That would be the huge deciding point for me.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Hey Axe Man,

I have held one of the "Commander" size and one "Full" size ....... "Bob Tails" .......... did not get to shoot one.....

Have shot the S&W 1911's....they are just fine....seem to "point" a bit higher than a regular "flat mainspring housing" 1911?

For summer CCW around here, think the "bob tail" would break up the outline...by a goodly margin...(No, I do not need a DW "bobtail"...repeat 100x!) LOL

Later, Mark

Top Bottom