• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    My favorite 1911 was my springfield loaded wide body 5 inch full size all steel. I say loaded but it was from before the technically defined the stuff that came on a loaded model.

I miss that gun.
    Lynx Defense

BCD 45

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2015
    TEXAS GULF COAST
    I did have the perfect one ordered & built for me. It's for SD & for in many areas that I go it's
    for defense against wild hogs. I had it finished in a complete blacked-out "DLC" finish for the
    best toughest finish that $$$ can buy.

It's a 1911 in the great 10mm cartridge. Being a 10mm has a lot of distinct advantages. I
    can shoot loads as mild as light 9mm SD loads or loads almost equal to the 44 magnum or
    anywhere in between!

The 10mm is definitely a stopper whether the critter has 2 legs or 4 legs! To me, it's my
    ultimately perfect 1911 handgun!
    (CHECK OUT THE 3 SHOT TEST TARGET WITH 3 PEOPLE AS WITNESS)

BCD 45
    NH 2ND 10MM - DLC - CMDR (1).jpg
    NH 2ND 10MM - DLC - CMDR (2).jpg
    NH 2ND 10MM - DLC - CMDR (3).png
    NH CMDR 10MM #2 SALES PICS (2).JPG

GingerYeti

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2021
    Houston
    I'd like to get a commander in .38 super. Have the government model, but may need a 2 clip holster to get it to feel better on the belt. It's a lot of weight.

I could get a better holster but I think .75" less barrel would be a wee bit easier to conceal so would rather put the $$ to the gun first, but it may require me to get something like a taurus 1911 commander in 9mm and convert.

BCD 45

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2015
    TEXAS GULF COAST
    Most of the guys that I know carry every day nearly all day long love
    Milt Sparks holsters. The Summer Special fits a commander very well!

BCD 45

BCD 45

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2015
    TEXAS GULF COAST
    @GingerYeti - If I were you, I'd look for a Dan Wesson Guardian in 38 Super! They are fantastic firearms, I've had 2 myself & wish I had kept one. Very easy to carry, great shooters, & just about ZERO problems ever! If it's clean & the metal in good shape, I wouldn't worry if it had 1K or 2K rounds thru it!

IMO, for the $$$, it's the best 38S that can be bought but since DW discontinued them, they're getting harder to find.

BCD 45 - Jim D.

BCD 45

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2015
    TEXAS GULF COAST
    @GingerYeti - I forgot to mention that they are light in weight with an aluminum frame.
    Here's some specs below. If you can find one, you won't be disappointed for sure!

BCD 45

SKU1988
    ModelGuardian
    Caliber.38 Super
    Magazine Capacity9
    Frame MaterialForged Aluminum
    Slide FinishDuty Finish
    GripsWood
    Overall Length8 in
    Barrel Length4.25
    Height5.5 in
    Width1.45 in
    Weight28.5 oz
    Trigger MechSingle Action
    Front SightFixed Night Sight
    Rear SightNight Sight
    SafetyManual thumb safety, grip safety
    MSRP$1,558
    Product NameGuardian

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd like to get a commander in .38 super. Have the government model, but may need a 2 clip holster to get it to feel better on the belt. It's a lot of weight.

I could get a better holster but I think .75" less barrel would be a wee bit easier to conceal so would rather put the $$ to the gun first, but it may require me to get something like a taurus 1911 commander in 9mm and convert.
    Actually, I've found the longer bbl 1911 easier to CC b/c it "balances" better in the belt. My KImber UCDP 3" keeps rotating backwards or forwards despite holsters w/ different cants.

leVieux

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Actually, I've found the longer bbl 1911 easier to CC b/c it "balances" better in the belt. My KImber UCDP 3" keeps rotating backwards or forwards despite holsters w/ different cants.

leVieux
    If your pistol is moving around in the holster, maybe you should invest in a higher quality holster. I have carried a Commander 1911 off and on for some years, never once has it rotated in the holster!

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    @GingerYeti - I forgot to mention that they are light in weight with an aluminum frame.
    Here's some specs below. If you can find one, you won't be disappointed for sure!

BCD 45

SKU1988
    ModelGuardian
    Caliber.38 Super
    Magazine Capacity9
    Frame MaterialForged Aluminum
    Slide FinishDuty Finish
    GripsWood
    Overall Length8 in
    Barrel Length4.25
    Height5.5 in
    Width1.45 in
    Weight28.5 oz
    Trigger MechSingle Action
    Front SightFixed Night Sight
    Rear SightNight Sight
    SafetyManual thumb safety, grip safety
    MSRP$1,558
    Product NameGuardian
    Can you please write in a bigger font? I can barely see what you write.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    The truth be told, there is no objectively perfect 1911 pistol. It is unlikely there ever will be one that is actually perfect by the definition of perfect.

That is not to say there are not any excellent ones but rather that the 1911 design does not lend itself to being perfected but rather to being modified to fit varying objectives. Most things that we can produce are like that. The proof of that is the fact that not only a multitude of individual owners seek to modify them with perfection in mind but that many gun manufacturing companies constantly try to perfect the design and evidently none have succeeded to date. If they had been successful, no other modifications would be needed or even wanted; yet, 1911 aficionados and manufacturers strive to improve them almost constantly.

While being modifiable can be a very good thing, to a certain point, it simply is never to the point of perfection. That is because true perfection (which is an absolute) would completely eliminate the need for any modifications. Perfection is pretty much an unobtainable fantasy when it comes to most manufactured items. That is so if only because human nature rarely allows us, that is every one of us, to accept and agree upon anything as being perfect or in other words flawless, without fault and meeting all desired requirements. Heck, we cannot even agree upon what objectives would constitute a perfect firearm let alone agreeing upon whether or not the finished product has achieved those goals.

As for myself, I find it quite desirable that no one, not even Glock despite their logo, has ever achieved perfection when it comes to making guns. Where would the interest, fun, ingenuity, change and productivity be relative to firearms if even just one gun designer reached true perfection with his/her creation? I am quite happy that gun designers constantly strive to make the better mouse trap (so to speak) because it assures a wide variety of new and sometimes improved guns.

All that said, I am not attempting to denigrate the design of the 1911 nor to dissuade those who find the 1911 design very appealing. Although the design certainly has its less than desirable aspects, it also has its high points (no pun intended) and it is still desirable enough for me to own a few of them as well as for many others to adore them. Subjectively speaking, the perfect 1911 for me would be the one that comes out if the box as perfect and that requires no modifications to better it nor that even encourages the desire to modify it. I do not think I will ever find one like that but who knows - sometimes faerie tales do come true.

Right now, I own three pistols based on the 1911 design: A Remington R1 1911, a Rock Island Armory 1911 A1 FS and an Argentine Systema Colt 1927. I like them all but if I was to make one my carry gun, it probably would be the RIA model; it is more reliable than the Remington as to feeding, firing, extracting & ejecting and has less wear and tear than does the System Colt 1927. Then again, I doubt I would ever make a 1911 a carry pistol - that due to personal preference as to what I carry.

Last edited:

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX

leVieux
    My first 1911 pistols were Government length barrels. I looked for several years before getting a 1911 longslide. I enjoy shooting my DW Bruin but the 6" barrel isn't my choice for cc. The weight and balance of the Commander length pistol makes it ideal for carry. If i ever find the perfect 1911 pistol, there would be no reason to continue the purchase of additional pistols.

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The truth be told, there is no objectively perfect 1911 pistol. It is unlikely there ever will be one that is actually perfect by the defination of perfect.

That is not to say there are not any excellent ones but rather that the 1911 design does not lend itself to being perfected but rather to being modified to fit varying objectives. Most things that we can produce are like that. The proof of that is the fact that not only a multitude of individual owners seek to modify them with perfection in mind but that many gun manufacturing companies constantly try to perfect the design and evidently none have succeeded to date. If they had been successful, no other modifications would be needed or even wanted; yet, 1911 aficionados strive to improve them almost constantly.

While being modifiable can be a very good thing, to a certain point, it simply is never to the point of perfection. That is because true perfection (which is an absolute) would rotally eliminate the need for any modifications. Perfection is pretty much an unobtainable fantasy when it comes to most manufactured items. That us so if only because human nature rarely allows us, that is every one of us, to accept and agree upon anything as being perfect or in other words flawless, without fault and meeting all desired requirements. Heck, we cannot even agree upon what objectives would constitute a perfect firearm let alone agreeing upon whether or not the finished priduct has achieved those goals.

As for myself, I find it quite desirable that no one, not even Glock despite their logo, has ever achieved perfection when it comes to making guns. Where would the interest, fun, ingenuity, change and productivity be relative to firearms if even just one gun designer reached true perfection with his/her creation? I am quite happy that gun designers constantly strive to make the better mouse trap (so to speak) because it assures a wide variety of new and sometimes improved guns.

All that said, I am not attempting to denigrate the design nor to dissuade those who find the 1911 design very appealing. Although the design certainly has its less than desirable aspects, it also has its high points (no pun intended) and it is still desirable enough for me to own a few of them as well as for many others to adore them.

Subjectively speakung, the perfect 1911 for me would be the one that comes out if the box as perfect and that needs no modifications to better it nor even allowing for the desire to modify it. I do not think I will ever find one like that but who knows - sometimes faerie tales do come true.
    True, the word perfect when being applied to guns is objective. That being said, this one is perfect for me:

0813191242.jpg

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    I have allways wanted a Dan Wesson Heritage
    My guess is they are fairly big bucks pistols. They do make nice guns though and I just looked at that one and it does look very nice.

1632065164167.png

My only issue with it is the front sight, I do not like sights I believe would be more subject to breakage than would an steel sight. Of course, that is merely my personal preference for a self-defense pistol. Who knows, maybe you will get lucky and hit on a scratch off lottery ticket and the money will be undeniably drawn toward the purchase of one of them with enough left over to make your spouse (if married) happy.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    True, the word perfect when being applied to guns is objective. That being said, this one is perfect for me:

View attachment 277766
    Nothing wrong with liking what you like when it comes to guns. That is a nice one; maybe too fancy for me and probably too expensive for my pocketbook but nice nonetheless. I like those grips, nice wood usually makes a firearm look much better than other materials, at least for me. One of my girlfriends once told me something similar about nice wood but that was decades ago.

I am wondering how the slots in the slide might affect the operation of the pistol; does less weight affect the recoil & how reliably well the slide works and does such a modification require a custom recoil spring, etc.. I do not modify firearms very much at all nor do I usually purchase custom made guns; so, I have no clue as to how a design modification like that would affect the pistol's function. Please enlighten my curious side.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My first 1911 pistols were Government length barrels. I looked for several years before getting a 1911 longslide. I enjoy shooting my DW Bruin but the 6" barrel isn't my choice for cc. The weight and balance of the Commander length pistol makes it ideal for carry. If i ever find the perfect 1911 pistol, there would be no reason to continue the purchase of additional pistols.

Yes, we all have different physiques, ages, experiences, and preferences. I try to select my "carry" to fit location, circumstances, and threat level. That you have different experience and preference is good and normal.

leVieux

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I have allways wanted a Dan Wesson Heritage
    The Heritage was the first Dan Wesson pistol I've owned. DW referred to it as their entry level pistol but in my opinion it is definitely above that. It had an MSRP of $1428 and it was discontinued in 2019. It has no MIM parts and is a well built pistol.

Top Bottom