• ...and so much more!
  • TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Re: The Price of Owning a Handgun & CHL in the State of TX

Texas CHL Class | Certification | License | San Antonio | TexasCHLacademy this looks promising i have a 2 year old business card from them apparently they lower their prices to help assure every Texan has the chance to get a chl

Honestly, if you can't invest $100 in a quality course then you have no business carrying in my opinion. That $40 you saved isn't going to get you very many practice rounds and there is no way that instructor isn't either cutting corners or overbooking his classes to charge that little. It generally costs the instructor between $50-75 per student so $100 is about right for them to make a profit.

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Honestly, if you can't invest $100 in a quality course then you have no business carrying in my opinion. That $40 you saved isn't going to get you very many practice rounds and there is no way that instructor isn't either cutting corners or overbooking his classes to charge that little. It generally costs the instructor between $50-75 per student so $100 is about right for them to make a profit.

Here at A&M last week they did a class for $45 per person on campus.

Angeleyes

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013

to each its own i see the instructor is a disabled vet, BBB credited, and author of a chl guide and i liked how their site is put together not just a plain paged without any thought put into it

Last edited:

Fortitude88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2013
    Flower Mound, TX
    Here at A&M last week they did a class for $45 per person on campus.

I did not know that CHL courses could be taught on college campuses. It's a good thing that I'm sitting because the amount of information I've learned today is making me dizzy. I need some water... <-- Scratch that. I need some Go Go Juice.

HONEY BOO BOO!!!!!

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    $1300 Kimber ? Uhh y'all chose a high dollar jammomatic. Mext time go with a XD45 or some other main stream 45 that performs much better for half as much :rolleyes:

AngeliaH

Life's Peachy
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Central Texas
    Re: The Price of Owning a Handgun &amp; CHL in the State of TX

Have you joined the NRA yet? I have no idea how much $ I have spent. Sure didn't stop at 1 gun though. Its an endless addiction.

Sent from ..........squirrel!!

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    $1300 Kimber ? Uhh y'all chose a high dollar jammomatic. Mext time go with a XD45 or some other main stream 45 that performs much better for half as much :rolleyes:

My Kimber has been 100% reliable. Maybe you have some grip strength issues.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Re: The Price of Owning a Handgun &amp; CHL in the State of TX

Here at A&amp;M last week they did a class for $45 per person on campus.

I'm not saying that it can't be done for less but those cases are rare. I have to assume that they didn't have to rent out a classroom or pay for range time or something along those lines to get the cost that low. Except in very rare circumstances it seems that you sacrifice quality in any course below $75. This excludes military discounts and the like.

to each its own i see the instructor is a disabled vet, BBB credited, and author of a chl guide and i liked how their site is put together not just a plain paged without any thought put into it
    It's possible that its a great class, just hasn't been my experience with instructors that price themselves that low.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    This thread is written from the POV of a first-time firearms owner, brand new to guns. I have just purchased my first firearm and completed my CHL course - these are the recorded associated costs for new items with shipping and taxes (where applicable) included.

Firstly, if a person has never shot or owned a gun before (myself), it would be reasonable to assume that shooting one at a gun range would be an appropriate first step. Here are the associated fees for a first-time visit to a gun range (I wear eyeglasses and brought ear-plugs, so I was not charged for vision/hearing items):

• Range Fee: $20.00
    • Ammunition - 100 rounds of .45 ACP ($23.95/box X2 boxes): $47.90
    • Rental Gun: $5.00
    • Two Paper Targets ($1 ea.): $2.00

Total: $74.90

Secondly, a person decides on a gun they want to own. Clearly, this decision and the associated ammunition - as well as the quantity - are subjective. Thirdly, providing the person wants to carry the firearm legally on their person, they need to attend a CHL course and get their CHL. These were my associated fees for this process:

• Firearm - 1911 Kimber Ultra CDP II .45: $1,267.30
    • Ammunition - 1,500 rounds of .45 ACP: $775.40
    • Ammunition Storage Box: $20.00
    • Holster - Milt Sparks Versa Max II, w/ clips: $178.33
    • Headphones - Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs: $49.17
    • CHL Course: $100.00
    • CHL: $142.00
      • Range Fee, to qualify for CHL: $11.00
      • Ammunition - 50 rounds of 9mm ammunition, to qualify for CHL: $17.00
      • B-27 Paper Target, to qualify for CHL: $1.00
      • Digital Fingerprinting Service: $10.43
      • Passport Photographs: $10.00
      • Shipping Fees for Application Materials via USPS: $5.75

Total: $2,587.38

Grand Total: $2,662.28

And worth every damn penny!

If you think that's expensive, wait until you get the bug to collect firearms. A few of us laugh at that total as being "expensive," as we look at our collection and the numbers really start adding up.

Seriously, I have a spreadsheet with all the guns I own on it along with their serial number and what I paid for them. And that doesn't even include the thousands of rounds of ammo I've stockpiled.

I won't even share what the grand total is as my wife would kill me, and that's at pre-Sandy Hook prices; but I will say I could almost buy a house with it...and I am one of the "lighter" members of the "serious collectors guild" in that regard.

But truthfully, like I said, I don't regret a single firearm, accessory or ammo I've purchased!

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom