The PRIME Rules of Gun Safety and Why they should be followed

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by SC-Texas, Nov 30, 2009.

1. SC-Texas

SC-Texas Moderator Moderator

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I was reading a thread about some MOE-RON getting shot with his on Glock when his friend was finger banging the trigger with his booger hooks and it got me to thinking abut the PRIME rules of Gun safety and whey they are important.

It also reminded me of another guy who shot himself at a Gabe Suarez class while he was being an inDUHvidual and getting ahead of the class becasue he was an ex SF operator and Gabe wasn't high speed enough for him (he decided to practice transitions and caught his pistol on his chest rig and luanched one through his thigh).

So what personal experiences have reinforced these rules and why are they important?

1. The Gun Is Always Loaded.
    Yes it is. I have never shot a hole in a wall with a gun that was loaded.

2. Never point A Gun At Something You're Not Prepared To Destroy.
    I have been a firm beleiver that a gun won't go off if you keep your booger hooks off the trigger. That is true 99.9% of the time. I even, personally, put this rule lower than the no fingerbangin the trigger rule. However, I encountered that .01% one day and had my M16 run away when I chambered a round.

3. Keep Your Finger Off The Trigger Until Your Sights Are On The Target.
    I have to say that to me, this is the most important rule because if you ain't fingerbangin' the trigger with your booger hooks, it ain't gonna go off 99.9% of the time.

4. Always Be Sure Of Your Target - And What Is Behind It.
    I have never had a personal expereince with this rule other than in IDPA matches where I have shot through a bad guy and hit the No-Shoot target behind it.

2. Dcav

Dcav TGT Addict

Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Well said, and the term booger hooks, kept me laughing for quite a while, i may have to borrow that term.

3. Fisherman777

Fisherman777 Well-Known

Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    A couple of months ago on this forum I read, "Keep your booger hooks off the bang switch!" LOL I might use that one if the opportunity arises.

4. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Yup, I use the "booger picker off the bang switch" in my classes.... makes em think about the same thing they have heard over and over and over again differently...

5. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Self Appointed Board Chauvinist TGT Supporter

May 12, 2009
    sounds liek a fun class.

and i like "keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target"
    much better than "until you are ready to shoot"

becasue there are times where you dont have a target but you BETTER be ready to shoot.
    like when there is an intruder coming down your hallway and you are along the back wall of your bedroom.

6. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I feel your pain Sean. I sell guns and I think about 98-99% of my day is filled with one safety problem after another. My favorite was the A-hole that lectured me on not muzzle sweeping myself when handing someone a display gun (I chamber check first, lock slide to the rear, grab gun by the muzzle in a solid manner and around and protecting trigger guard while handing the gun grip first). Yes, the barrel may have momentarily pointed at my leg, but it was chamber checked and slide locked to the rear and barrel NOT pointing at him so not really a safer way to hand it to someone. Long story short, he never checked the chamber, dropped the slide, proceeded to look the gun over side to side, then point it at his FACE so he could look down the barrel (because he thought that big .45acp hole looked cool lol), then unintentionally pointed the gun at his kids face that was 1ft away (he was looking at the side of the gun, man I feel sorry for his kid)........I wish I could slap every single person that does this stupid sh*t.

7. thorkyl

thorkyl Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    My favorite way to demonstrate the danger of not keeping your finger off the trigger...

A watermelon, explodes just like a head.

8. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Sig You need to carry around the skinny end of a fishing pole! LOL!

9. TrailDust

TrailDust TGT Addict

Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Whenever I've instructed a youngster in using firearms I always like to emphasize the seriousness of handling a gun by saying, "When you're handling a gun, there's absolutely no room for 'oops!' Oops when you're handling guns means someone may very well be dead. There is no oops with guns!"

10. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Imagine these idiots when they have ammo ... oh, the stories are endless.