• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I have four kids in public schools. 2 in HS and 1 middle and 1 elementary.

The real threat of common core is the parents no longer know how to teach their children at home according to the methods taught at school.

This does one very dangerous things:

Discredits the parent's ability to teach in the mind of the child. Dad, you can't do simple math?

Another thing, if this was the only method taught I could learn and help my children. It's not though. My daughter learned no fewer than four methods to solve word problems depending on the school and teacher. She's confused now as there was no consistency with the methods.

So my primary concern isn't how wrong they are getting their historical facts and such it's the wedge they are driving between parent and child.

BjNTz9DCcAAG7d2_thumb.jpg
    Gun Zone Deals

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Didn't Texas do away with common core? (Please say yes, my kids starts next year)

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I REALLY wish there was a decent private school I could take my son to around here. The only private school I could find is a baptist school, and I really don't want him in a religious school.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    More and more families are choosing home school and private school.

As far as Common Core goes, Indiana which was once the poster child for it and its #1 proponent has recently backed away from it and looks to be pulling out.

Common Core is just government education en masse to ensure a future work force of minimally competent employees and order followers.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Common Core is just government education en masse to ensure a future work force of minimally competent employees and order followers.

Actually HISD's publicly stated goal, almost word for word, during a school board meeting about ten years ago ... although they apparently couldn't spell "minimally", so left it out.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Public school = government school. Its plain and simple. I hate that we reject so much government in our lives but so many parents choose to send their kids to government school almost by default.

Some are better than others, i get that. Kudos to those of you involved in your local public schools. Local control is huge and that is what common core is not. I also trust that many of you who use public schools know that those institutions are where schooling is conducted and you educate your kids on your own.

Private school and home school are wonderful options. I respect that everyone isnt in a position to do either of these due to circumstances or finances. However, many people could find the room to afford one of these options if they would sacrifice lifestyle a bit. Also if a person really looks at private schools they run from outrageously priced to affordable for many middle class income families and many also offer scholarships or tuition subsidies for those who cant afford the whole tuition.

So I promote private or home education first but agree public schools need to be locally controlled so I hope Common Core dies everywhere. It will emerge again just calls something else.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think parental involvement at home can counter pretty much anything a public school would out out. The problem comes from parents treat public schools as a tax funded daycare and then let the TV/internet take over when the kids get home.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think parental involvement at home can counter pretty much anything a public school would out out. The problem comes from parents treat public schools as a tax funded daycare and then let the TV/internet take over when the kids get home.

Agreed. Active parents make a huge difference and can definitely bridge the gap. Thats the issue though so many do let the public school do ALL of the educating, but it isnt enough and is often detrimental.

I dont know how as a culture we can encourage people to get their shit together and stay together as a family and raise their kids instead of turning them wholly over to the school system with the prison system waiting for them next.

diveRN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2014
    The Metroplex
    I'll be in Texas next week to interview with hopes of moving my family out when my son gets out of the 4th grade in June.

We're very seriously thinking about homeschooling my son. The math and science they're teaching my kid is a joke, even at a top rated charter school.

Common Core sucks.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I remember in fourth grade the teacher led the class in recitation of the multiplication tables. Over & over, we went through those tables until they were burned into our memories. They drilled us on sentence structure over & over. I may not be able to diagram a sentence any more but I can damned sure WRITE a sentence correctly!

The keys to a good education are simple and cheap. We rely on computers too much. We spend millions on laptops before we ever teach one kid, one thing.

Socrates taught by asking questions. I am a Socratic teacher by nature but when you ask a current HS student a question, they either look for a keyboard or surrender with a stupid look. Teaching at the college level was a different situation. I liked that a lot.

Don't just give me an answer. Tell me WHY that answer is true or not true. If a variable is changed, does that change the outcome? WHY? THAT is where education actually occurs. That is called "High Ordered Thinking" and it's where current education methods stop. Our students simply regurgitate answers.

A good education must be founded in solid basics. There is no substitute for recitation and memorization for things like the multiplication tables, spelling and sentence structure. Education must NOT stop there. It should continue with ball busting questioning that makes the student apply knowledge. Screw multiple choice tests. Test questions should be thought provoking.

Learning should be competency based. Tell them what you expect them to learn, teach that, apply it, then test them in performance. There are no tricks or hidden agendas in competency based learning.

Flash

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'll be in Texas next week to interview with hopes of moving my family out when my son gets out of the 4th grade in June.

We're very seriously thinking about homeschooling my son. The math and science they're teaching my kid is a joke, even at a top rated charter school.

Common Core sucks.

Remind me to post the free home school curriculum the state offers. You can get the structured curriculum the state provides but pace it for your learners and filter out or add what you deem best.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I remember in fourth grade the teacher led the class in recitation of the multiplication tables. Over & over, we went through those tables until they were burned into our memories. They drilled us on sentence structure over & over. I may not be able to diagram a sentence any more but I can damned sure WRITE a sentence correctly!

The keys to a good education are simple and cheap. We rely on computers too much. We spend millions on laptops before we ever teach one kid, one thing.

Socrates taught by asking questions. I am a Socratic teacher by nature but when you ask a current HS student a question, they either look for a keyboard or surrender with a stupid look. Teaching at the college level was a different situation. I liked that a lot.

Don't just give me an answer. Tell me WHY that answer is true or not true. If a variable is changed, does that change the outcome? WHY? THAT is where education actually occurs. That is called "High Ordered Thinking" and it's where current education methods stop. Our students simply regurgitate answers.

A good education must be founded in solid basics. There is no substitute for recitation and memorization for things like the multiplication tables, spelling and sentence structure. Education must NOT stop there. It should continue with ball busting questioning that makes the student apply knowledge. Screw multiple choice tests. Test questions should be thought provoking.

Learning should be competency based. Tell them what you expect them to learn, teach that, apply it, then test them in performance. There are no tricks or hidden agendas in competency based learning.

Flash

Awesome post. Definitely something to keep in mind with my own little one.

Remind me to post the free home school curriculum the state offers. You can get the structured curriculum the state provides but pace it for your learners and filter out or add what you deem best.

I would be interested in that as well.

Top Bottom