• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Right. And its pacing would make most modern audiences squirm and dislike it. I'm still convinced it was a masterpiece.
    That was what I was thinking. I have only seen in once, maybe twice some years ago on TCM.

I think you have to appreciate the story, and Japanese cinema to really enjoy the movie. It most definitely is a masterpiece.

I'd love to have it on DVD to be able to watch it again.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I'm awaiting the release of the new Dune movie remake.
    The best Dune was the three part made for TV mini series with Alec Newman as Paul/ Muad'dib.

If I hadn't read the book I would have had a hard time following the story in the 1984 movie with Kyle MacLachlan.
    Hopefully the new movie does a better job.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Godzilla?

I loved the original, but I watched it recently and it wasn't nearly as good as I remembered. The remake is not scary at all, but at least it is humorous and quirky.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The best Dune was never made!
    Jodorowsky told the studio that the run time would be about 10 hours. That right there killed the project.

I've seen El Topo, the film that made him a household name in the U.S. He has called it a "psychedelic Western" and I can't disagree with that. At one time, I was oddly fascinated by it, enough so that I got it on DVD and have watched it many times. I never recommend it to anyone. It's just too big a trip. It's one of those films that if you need to see it, you'll know you need to see it. Everyone else should stay away.

In retrospect, giving that guy the money to make a 10-hour version of Dune, complete with the crazy number of huge stars he had lined up for the production, would have either produced the greatest movie ever made or it would have driven audiences insane. That's the sort of high risk/high reward project that film studio executives loathe.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Jodorowsky told the studio that the run time would be about 10 hours. That right there killed the project.

I've seen El Topo, the film that made him a household name in the U.S. He has called it a "psychedelic Western" and I can't disagree with that. At one time, I was oddly fascinated by it, enough so that I got it on DVD and have watched it many times. I never recommend it to anyone. It's just too big a trip. It's one of those films that if you need to see it, you'll know you need to see it. Everyone else should stay away.

In retrospect, giving that guy the money to make a 10-hour version of Dune, complete with the crazy number of huge stars he had lined up for the production, would have either produced the greatest movie ever made or it would have driven audiences insane. That's the sort of high risk/high reward project that film studio executives loathe.

But hey! Lets make another Fast&Furious!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

Michael Cimino’s Heavens Gate comes to mind! I will still watch it ever time it’s one.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    But hey! Lets make another Fast&Furious!
    Exactly the sort of movie that studio executives love. They know based on the box office of the previous installments how many people will go see it so they can budget exactly how much money to spend to make a profit.

Studio execs don't care about art; they care about predictable profit. Franchises of movies give them the predictability they crave. That's why we're seeing so many "studio universe" type movies - predictable profit.

That un-made Dune had zero metrics on the books for ROI. Only an artist would want to make it and that definitively rules out studio executives.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Marlo Thomas starred in a remake of the Jimmy Stewart Christmas Classic, "It's a Wonderful Life". I wanted to hate it, but it was actually well done!
    I believe Cloris Leachman portrayed the angel attempting to earn her wings, in place of Clarence.

Top Bottom