The spoiled under-30 crowd!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by MadMo44Mag, Sep 8, 2009.

1. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking Twenty-five miles to school every morning....

Uphill... barefoot...

BOTH ways

Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay
    a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had itand how easy they've got it!

But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!

And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen!

Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take, like, a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our ass! Nowhere was safe!

There were no MP3' s or Napsters! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car.. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished and the tape would come undone. Cause - that's how we rolled, dig?

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either!
    When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We
    had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen... forever!
    And you could never win... The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel! NO REMOTES!!!

There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait
    ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove! Imagine that!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980
    or before!

Regards,
    The Over 30 Crowd

2. usmcpmi

usmcpmi Active Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    I thought I had it easy growing up....we had a 2 story house in east texas one wood stove to heat the house in the winter....NO A/C The bathroom in the house was for the girls and Mom. Us boys did our business outside. We had a big family (9 kids) So being the 2nd oldest, I had a room in a block shed with my older brother. Dirt floor, tin roof open eves. If you were cold to damn bad, get another blanket. No TV, no computers no gameboy. Did have a little radio to listen to at night. But batterys cost money, so I split wood and built fence for the local preacher @ .75 an hour. Good money back then. Now I feel old..MG

3. 308nato

308nato TGT Addict

Yes sir I can remember when i was growing up in the 40's........:rofl:

4. Bear8u

Bear8u New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    San Angelo
    You poor 30 somethings, try stepping back 20 more years. IF you had a TV it more than likely was a black and white, if your family had some money you might of had a color set, that only got 3 channels and those went off the air at midnight. They played the National Anthem and had jets flying or an American flag waving until the test pattern came on. The phone was rotary and weighed about 20lbs, maybe a little less, and most people had a party line where you listened for your ring or you could pick up the phone and listen to other peoples conversation. The first tape deck for the truck was an 8 track and a reel to reel for the house. Most people had a record player, turn table for you younger crowd, and you brought 45s to get your favorite songs. Your mom saved green stamps from Piggly Wiggly to be able to get that mixer she always wanted for the kitchen. Kids drank water from the hose and had to be home when the street lights came on, after being gone all day without so much as a word to mom or dad to update them on where you were or what you were doing. Gas was leaded and you could regular or eithel and the service attendent would check your oil and wash your windshield.
    I'm done, I'm feeling to old to continue.

5. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    When I was a kid, I WAS the remote.

6. ChrisV

ChrisV New Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Montgomery, Texas
    Everyone wave to the nice man and walk away slowly.

7. GM.Chief

GM.Chief Well-Known

Mar 16, 2009
    Being 28, I still remember most of those things...but I sure as heck am glad I was only a youngin' during the 80's and damn happy I missed out on the 70's...look at photo's of you guys back then...what were you thinkin'....HAHAHAHA....j/k

8. Okierifleman

Okierifleman Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    Good read. At the ripe old age of 40, I grew up during the 80's. It was a great time. Everything was a lot safer back then thats for sure.

9. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I'm 23 and I was the remote until I was 13 or 14 and we finally got one with a remote. We turned the A/C off in the day and left the windows open and turned a fan on. when the Sega came out with "mortal combat" I got a super Nintendo and I've two steps below the top of the food chain ever sense. When the sun was up I was out side. When it was night time I was inside. I grew up on the outskirts of Leander,TX I have never lived in a house with cable or satellite TV to this day and I'm driving a foreign car for the first time ever (and it's pissing me off and it's not a truck is to) It's the first time I've had a vehicle that 1)is not a truck. 2) is not made in the USA. and 3) Is newer than a 1990 model. So I may not have had it as hard but I've never had it easy. LOL Just thought I'd represent the under thirty crowds "hard times". :lolz:

10. dbgun

dbgun TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I remember my mother sending me to the corner store for some bread & milk, when I was 9 or 10 years old. I noticed on the way home that the gas station across the street had gasoline for $.28 a gallon as was the loaf of bread, I had just bought.