Join TexasGunTalk

The trucker shortage

Discussion in 'Rants and Raves' started by baboon, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Wildcat Diva

Wildcat Diva Well-Known

Aug 26, 2016
    Husband and I will he hauling the two younger sons to the community college three nights a week to study welding/ machining.

Next year when they are both driving our lives might be less stressful. Or more, who knows?

easy rider and Southpaw like this.
  2. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    That kids are now driving thing is a mixed blessing.

deemus and 1911'S 4 Me like this.
  3. AustinN4

AustinN4 TGT Addict

Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    toddnjoyce and Sublime like this.
  4. Darkpriest667

Darkpriest667 Actually Attends

Beat me to it. Decompression sickness is not good for you. Constantly being in a decompression tank for days on end is definitely not good for you.

By the way, I'd love to work some of these labor jobs with my hands, but you guys have seen me. I was not built to do it or else I would. God didn't give me the body to be able to do that kind of work. I did some manual labor in my late teens and early twenties, but there is no way my body could have taken doing that for 20 years.

5. Wildcat Diva

Wildcat Diva Well-Known

Aug 26, 2016
    Oh I KNOW. As we speak the nineteen year old is driving the seventeen year old to a concert in Austin.

6. Southpaw

Southpaw LOW CLASS TGT Supporter

Good luck Austin!! :roflfunny:
    destroyed_city_by_shadowyingzhi-d3ee065.jpg

TxStetson likes this.
  7. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Watch Last Breath on Netflix. You’ll gain an understanding.

8. Wildcat Diva

Wildcat Diva Well-Known

Aug 26, 2016
    Hopefully it won’t end up quite that serious. It’s an all ages show.

Southpaw likes this.
  9. Wildcat Diva

Wildcat Diva Well-Known

Aug 26, 2016
    Probably depends where you are. I’m in the same location as Moonpie, and machinists make much more than that, according to BLS. This area has high demand, too.

The seventeen year old son is doing Machinist/ shop helper work. He’s only making $8 an hour, but keep in mind he doesn’t have any experience and offered to help out at the shop for free to learn. They asked him what he thought he was worth to be paid hourly and he rightly told them about minimum wage because he’s green as can be and is looking to learn. Hell he’s not really even supposed to be in there at 17.
    So $8 it is.

We are very pleased. He won’t be stuck at that for long. He has a co-op job placement (somewhere else) that’s TBA over the next year or two, after he’s 18.

Now the eldest, he’s NOT a tradesman type. He’s more of a male version of me, as far as aptitudes and bent. So college it is. So he’s studying psychology but he can’t stand people. So that’s pretty wow. His choice tho.

He may add in computer tech skills, and graphic design skills and try this career, which can use a BS in Psychology as your base.

https://skillcrush.com/2018/02/28/how-much-is-a-ux-designer-salary/

10. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Unemployment is at a 50 year low. Pretty much anyone who wants to work is working. The demand for workers outnumbers the available workers.

We have a very though time hiring, and people will leave for just a few bucks more.