• ...and so much more!
  • FoxHound

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    San Antonio
    I've only ever used two different .22LR rifles

A Ruger 10/22 and a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

The 10/22 pretty much shot every type of .22lr ammo I fed it, but I always had a bad experience with the different types of magazines I used. I cant remember the name of it, but I finally found one that was pretty consistent in feeding but all in all most magazines were garbage.

The M&P 15-22 was a sexy piece but I could only get the more pricey .22 ammo to feed through it without malfunctions.

Maybe it was just a fluke experience, but I'm taking it all into account on my next .22LR purchase

What was your experience with different types of .22 rifles?
    Been looking at several different models. Price is no object but I don't see the point in spending $1,000+ on a .22 rifle lol

I'd be happy with a 10/22 especially seeing that it has a huge aftermarket scene. (If I ever got REALLY drunk, I could always get a bullpup conversion kit for my inner mallninja. Not likely, but hey... I have my moments where me and the Captain are inseparable)

Buuuuuuut AR style .22LRs are very aesthetically pleasing to me. Seeing as I'd much rather feed cheap ass .22 through the rifle so I could shoot all day, thatd be the most important factor above aesthetics.

Anyone ever try the Colt M4 .22LR? How about the Sig Sauer AR-style .22LR? I think even Bushmaster and H&K have an AR style .22 rifle

Was kind of leaning towards the H&K 416 .22 LR because it looks very aesthetically pleasing... but like I said, I want it to shoot the cheapest crap I run through it. Thats... the whole point of me getting a .22

P.S.
    Was it butler creek 10/22 mags that were the good ones? Cant remember, this was years ago
    DK Firearms

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    I have a ruger 10/22 that has a folding collapse able stock that will eat ammo I have thrown at it so far. Uses the ruger 25 rnd magazine and feeds good.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I know you mentioned the Bullpup. You can always just convert your 10/22 or modify a second one. Red Jacket ZK-22 Bullpup Stock

I don't have any personal experience with any of the AR-style 22's. I own a stock 10/22 and a modified Remington 597 with a sniper-esque setup. Both guns shoot well. The Remington is more accurate but the 10/22 is much lighter and will fire anything you put in it.

FoxHound

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    San Antonio
    I know you mentioned the Bullpup. You can always just convert your 10/22 or modify a second one. Red Jacket ZK-22 Bullpup Stock

I don't have any personal experience with any of the AR-style 22's. I own a stock 10/22 and a modified Remington 597 with a sniper-esque setup. Both guns shoot well. The Remington is more accurate but the 10/22 is much lighter and will fire anything you put in it.

That bullpup kit is an abomination to mankind and damnit I want one now

Check out this .22 rifle. Price seems pretty decent
    H&K Rimfire 416 Semi-Automatic 22 Long Rifle 10+1 Capacity 1 $539.00 SHIPS FREE

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Do you own an actual AR15 in 5.56/.223? Because your other option would be to just buy a .22lr conversion kit for that and change out the bolt and carrier.

No experience with the HK. I know there are alot of people that love the S&W AR15-22 but that is the only one I've heard firsthand reviews of. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than myself will chime in.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    If you're interested I have a archangel set up, I am willing to part with. It is the ar15 design, All that is missing is the bayonette part. It has a little flash hider, that is steel, so i threw away the plastic one. I do not like the ar style stocks on the ruger for some reason. I had a ati dragunov style that i really liked, and should have kept it. I would also be willing to just trade out the stocks. Pm me if you are interested.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I've only ever used two different .22LR rifles

P.S.
    Was it butler creek 10/22 mags that were the good ones? Cant remember, this was years ago

The steel lipped butler creeks work well, but now ruger makes a 25 round mag, that is supposed to be reliable. I put a volquartzen e.e.e extractor in mine, and any cheap plastic mag will work well.

FoxHound

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    San Antonio
    Do you own an actual AR15 in 5.56/.223? Because your other option would be to just buy a .22lr conversion kit for that and change out the bolt and carrier.

No experience with the HK. I know there are alot of people that love the S&W AR15-22 but that is the only one I've heard firsthand reviews of. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than myself will chime in.

I sold all my old RRA and Stag ARs and ordered a brand new RRA AR15 that should be out of their factory soon and mailed to my FFL hopefully this or next week. I thought about a conversion kit but the minor barrel issues have me wanting a dedicated .22 rifle.

FoxHound

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    San Antonio
    If you're interested I have a archangel set up, I am willing to part with. It is the ar15 design, All that is missing is the bayonette part. It has a little flash hider, that is steel, so i threw away the plastic one. I do not like the ar style stocks on the ruger for some reason. I had a ati dragunov style that i really liked, and should have kept it. I would also be willing to just trade out the stocks. Pm me if you are interested.

Thanks for the offer but I have this random new obsession to log/document everything that goes on with each weapon (dates and time when used, what type of ammo was used, how many rounds, how many malfunctions and what kind of malfunction etc)
    So I'd rather buy brand new.

My first AR and M1A I bought used as well. Man I miss my m1a :/

Anyways anyone else try those different ar style .22s? I'd imagine Sig and H&K might be ammo picky like the M&P15-22

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    I sold all my old RRA and Stag ARs and ordered a brand new RRA AR15 that should be out of their factory soon and mailed to my FFL hopefully this or next week. I thought about a conversion kit but the minor barrel issues have me wanting a dedicated .22 rifle.

You could get a dedicated upper. I've had a hard time finding accuracy reports but they use a proper .22 lr barrel so it can't be all that bad. They do cost almost as much as a regular upper and bolt carrier though.

FoxHound

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    San Antonio
    You could get a dedicated upper. I've had a hard time finding accuracy reports but they use a proper .22 lr barrel so it can't be all that bad. They do cost almost as much as a regular upper and bolt carrier though.

That's all true. I'll keep that in mind

I'll be waiting to hear if someone has any experience with any other .22 rifles. I'll keep browsing online reviews as well, but I'm mostly trying to find "ammo test" reviews with these rifles. In my experience the M&P15-22 was ammo picky so...

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I handled the sig 22 AR rifle. It felt like a piece of plastic junk with no sights. The "salesmen said" that they were all mostly plastic except for the Colt version, which they never get. I'll plan on a dedicated upper. That beings said, most things I've read from the drop in conversions were happy reviews. I just want a dedicated upper, so I'm going to get one when they get back in stock.

PS: any .22lr gun be picky. You just have to find what it likes and enjoy life.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Mine eats anything I stick in the mag. Then again, its a pump action remmy fieldmaster. 15 round tube mag.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    What was your experience with different types of .22 rifles?
    Been looking at several different models. Price is no object but I don't see the point in spending $1,000+ on a .22 rifle lol

Seems like I've tried them all, and I'll stick forever with my Remington Nylon 66. That rifle is so light you can carry it all day, and it's accuracy is amazing.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Don't discount the Marlin Model 60 Carbine! It is more accurate than the Ruger 10-22 (base model), shoots a wide variety of .22 LR brands reliably, and handles with ease.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Don't discount the Marlin Model 60 Carbine!
    I just sold my old model 60. I cut the bullseye out of a target at 50 yards with it. It was damn accurate. I'm looking at bolt actions for my next 22. I don't know, I just really like bolt action rifles I guess. And my AR to but there is just something about a bolt action rifle that gets me.

tap talked from a phone yeah im on my phone! it's crazy!

stx kid

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    laredo
    Don't discount the Marlin Model 60 Carbine! It is more accurate than the Ruger 10-22 (base model), shoots a wide variety of .22 LR brands reliably, and handles with ease.

I use my marlin 60 for hogs, jackrabits, woodpeckers, etc. I love that thing.

Top Bottom