• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    The Boston Globe opinion column makes the point that the real racism isn't about gun ownership but a long and shameful period of those rights being denied to black Americans.

Years ago I read this book and it's worth the time to understand this issue more;

This Nonviolent Stuff'll Get You Killed: How Guns Made the Civil Rights Movement Possible by Charles E. Cobb Jr.

Venture Surplus ad

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Many of the roots of gun control laws started during the Reconstruction Period right after the Civil War. These laws were a means to control the blacks, and in some ways that Lincoln might have said they were free, they were anything but truly free.

Those gun laws were very much established on racism against freed blacks as a means to control them.

ANY gun law passed, that establishes a method of having to pay to exercise a right is an infringement. One could conclude in many states, having to pay for a permit, or undergo mandatory training to exercise a right is also infringement.

And if you look at the demographics in certain areas of cities, where they are generally minorities and of lower incomes, and that can't afford to pay for a permit to exercise their Constitutional right to bear arms, not only is it an infringement, it can also be called racist as well.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Here is another recent op-ed discussing the racist history of gun control. And from what I am reading/viewing on social media the 'blue states' affected by Bruen SCOTUS ruling will continue their gun control methods with new laws. Requiring more training time, renew license more frequently, pay more in fees which will affect those most often less about to afford time/money.

Attachments

• cd7f646f-f42a-42ad-ba70-764c347b5e25-860x475.jpg
      cd7f646f-f42a-42ad-ba70-764c347b5e25-860x475.jpg
      45.7 KB · Views: 56

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    My My My pigs can fly-LA Times newspaper admits gun laws have been racist.:banghead::bomb: finally

Read more at Bearing Arms blog;

As attorneys for the state of California prepared recently to defend in federal court a state law requiring background checks for ammunition purchases, they found themselves in an awkward position.

Under a U.S. Supreme Court ruling from 2022, gun control measures are legitimate only if they are deeply rooted in American “history and tradition” or are sufficiently similar to some other centuries-old law. The state lawyers had conducted a deep dive through hundreds of years of American jurisprudence and identified dozens of historical laws that they felt bolstered the modern law’s legitimacy by showing that the government has long limited access to firearms and ammunition.

But there was a problem: Many of the historical laws they found were virulently racist, restricting access to weaponry for enslaved people, Indigenous Americans and other racial minorities.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    My My My pigs can fly-LA Times newspaper admits gun laws have been racist.:banghead::bomb: finally

But there was a problem: Many of the historical laws they found were virulently racist, restricting access to weaponry for enslaved people, Indigenous Americans and other racial minorities.
    uroboros-.jpg

Top Bottom