Target Sports

The year is 1921. You are going to make a journey from.......

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What would be the odds this ole' boy be one of my porters??????

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-9_14-21-20.jpeg
      upload_2019-1-9_14-21-20.jpeg
      11.6 KB · Views: 115

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nouakchott, Mauritana to Lagos, Nigeria.
    On foot.
    You can have two firearms, available at the time, as your weapons and for taking game to eat.
    You are allowed 1200rds of ammo total.
    You already have a team of porters for carrying gear. You will need to feed them.

What would your firearm choices be?

Gun #1 Lee Enfield Mk III in .303 Brit. It is a capable game and combat rifle, and should have no issues taking down all but the largest of African game. I want 900 rounds for it.

Gun #2 1911 in 45 acp. Good for defense (getting to your rifle), but it can also be used to take smaller game that the Enfield would likely obliterate. 300 rounds.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I've heard it said that east Africa and west Texas are, depending on exact location, of course, strikingly similar. Was that your experience?
    In a certain context, yes. Big picture similiarities: vast, rugged terrain sparsely populated with good and hardy people.

Ecologically, the Masai Steppe in Tanzania reminds of the western edges of the hill country. The Pugu hills, closer to Dar Es Salaam, brings to mind the Llano River area south of Junction, but it's a juxtaposition as the hills are mush lush. Import August in Houston for temps/humidity and it could be a dead ringer for what February feels like in equatorial Africa.

The depressing side of it is the number of war refugees in Dar. During the Rwandan civil war, Hutu government forces would use machetes to amputate young Tutsi males with a machete above an elbow or knee so they wouldn't have to fight them later. The lower leg amputees made skateboard-like platforms for mobility and you'd see them in downtown Dar selling ziplock sandwich bags of ice for change. If we were stopped in traffic, I'd usually buy a bag of ice for each of the guys in the truck for $5.

I'll have to think about telling some stories around the Tanzania mission, including excursions to Arusha and Rwanda.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    No Castle beer, biltong, or boerewors in Texas.
    Yeah drink a cold Castle right now if I had one.

Last trip I made I was given about a 4 foot piece of gemsbok biltong. I had to cut it to get it in my carry on. Right before we land in Atlanta they came on & made the announcement about not bringing any meat products into the country. Needless to say I wasn't giving up my gift.

As I'm making my way through the airport a customs guy with a beagle approaches me. I had a Pelican gun vault, Pelican cube & my Filson duffle. He asks me if I had any biltong or boerswors on me. I told him I had my fill while there so no. He runs his dog on my luggage twice with no hits. I figured it was a dope dog anyway.

Once home I start unpacking & figure I better call the wife & let her know I'm home. In the mean time our Australian Shepherd found the biltong & was trying to swallow half of it.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Yeah drink a cold Castle right now if I had one.

Last trip I made I was given about a 4 foot piece of gemsbok biltong. I had to cut it to get it in my carry on. Right before we land in Atlanta they came on & made the announcement about not bringing any meat products into the country. Needless to say I wasn't giving up my gift.

As I'm making my way through the airport a customs guy with a beagle approaches me. I had a Pelican gun vault, Pelican cube & my Filson duffle. He asks me if I had any biltong or boerswors on me. I told him I had my fill while there so no. He runs his dog on my luggage twice with no hits. I figured it was a dope dog anyway.

Once home I start unpacking & figure I better call the wife & let her know I'm home. In the mean time our Australian Shepherd found the biltong & was trying to swallow half of it.

You know there are very good reason they prohibit things like that from coming into the country.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    You know there are very good reason they prohibit things like that from coming into the country.

You are right. So they can take it home and eat it themselves

RSA is a magical place. So glade I got to spend several years there. One of the best periods of my life. Sorry to highjack the thread. Just had a moment of reminiscing. Please carry on, carry on.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    You are right. So they can take it home and eat it themselves

RSA is a magical place. So glade I got to spend several years there. One of the best periods of my life. Sorry to highjack the thread. Just had a moment of reminiscing. Please carry on, carry on.

Actually it can carry disease into the country. Just small things like anthrax.

Top Bottom