• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thumper2336

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2022
    Austin
    I have a can on a 308 and want to get into hunting hogs at night, but I know nothing about night scopes or thermal scopes. Any Advice?
    Venture Surplus ad

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    The trick with thermal is getting a unit that has a minimum resolution of 384. If your not getting 384 resolution, then save up for one that does have 384 resolution. If you have the extra money to bump up to 640 resolution then go that route. Buy once cry once.

If your looking for 384 on a budget, then go with the AGM RATTLER TS25. You can find them for about $1999. If you have some extra money then I would say go with a Pulsar Thermion like the XQ38. They're about $3400. I've messed around with the AGMs & the PULSARS. Both are good but you do get 1 shot sight in with the Pulsar products vs AGM. Also Pulsar has audio when it records & the AGM does not. For the price point you really can't beat those AGM RATTLERS.
    There is also the BERING OPTICS that make the Hogster & Yoter scopes. They are pretty good for the price point also.

The other thing I would look at is base magnification. The Rattler TS25 is 1.5 base, the Pulsar XQ38 is 2.5 base I believe. The greater the base magnification the less peripheral vision you will have in the scope. If your hunting thick woods the less base magnification of 1.5 is better. If your hunting open pastures several hundred yards of openness then a 3x base magnification would be ideal. If your always hunting different properties, then I would recommend getting a scope with a laser range finder.

Reactions: gll

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    I have a can on a 308 and want to get into hunting hogs at night, but I know nothing about night scopes or thermal scopes. Any Advice?

Okay, what do you plan to be hunting? At what sort of typical distances and what would be your longest distances shot? Are you hunting forest or open land? What is your budget?

You have the options of traditional night vision, digital night vision and thermal. Traditional night vision is pricey and you can get Gen 3 which is really good, but occasionally you will still need an IR light. It must be protected from daylight.

Digital night vision can be used just fine in the daylight, but nearly always will need an IR illuminator or other light source at night. Some of it is quite good (like the Sightmark Wraith 4Ks).

Depending on your needs, low end 384 resolution thermal may be good enough for what you want to do and be better than night vision of either type.

Most night hunters prefer thermal, largely because it never needs an IR illuminator, can see into the shadows where night vision doesn't go or go well, and is not confused by typical camo patterns. Yep, camo works against night vision just like it works against regular vision. Less of a problem for thermal, animals can be somewhat disguised by being particularly wet (and hence chilled) or hot and blending in with their environment.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    It depends on your budget. If you don't want to spend alot, look at the Sightmark Wraith digital night vision camera scope. I have one and it works very well for the money.
    I'd like to spend a lot of money, but that isn't an option...

Which Wraith? Is HD good enough?

Would guess so on that tiny screen... One thing I am not interested in is recording video, so displaying it on TV is also not my interest. It surprises me that none of these camera based devices eliminate that option for reduced complexity, but I suppose it wouldn't really reduce production costs...

Sightmark SM28003 Quick Detach https://a.co/9rJYLlR

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    It depends on your budget. If you don't want to spend alot, look at the Sightmark Wraith digital night vision camera scope. I have one and it works very well for the money.
    That's what I have, and it works very well.

While I would love a thermal, and I have used @orbitup's, I can't justify thousands of dollars. But if you have the money, go for it.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I'd like to spend a lot of money, but that isn't an option...

Which Wraith? Is HD good enough?

Would guess so on that tiny screen... One thing I am not interested in is recording video, so displaying it on TV is also not my interest. It surprises me that none of these camera based devices eliminate that option for reduced complexity, but I suppose it wouldn't really reduce production costs...

Sightmark SM28003 Quick Detach https://a.co/9rJYLlR
    I have the HD, the bad thing for me is that I have to put on my reading glasses to read the display.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I have the HD, the bad thing for me is that I have to put on my reading glasses to read the display.
    Fk... Hadn't thought of that... I do only use 1.25+, but they still make a big difference.

2-16x28 or 4-32x50?

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Fk... Hadn't thought of that... I do only use 1.25+, but they still make a big difference.
    I have the wraith HD.
    The screen image adjustments brought the image into clear/crisp view. The readouts are sharp, not blurry. I wear 1.25 for reading as well. Screenshot_20220629-113746_Office.jpg

Top Bottom