• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TJ Willy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Wichita Falls
    It seems to vary wildly. I sent my app in Sept 17, DPS received it Sept 22. I already had my PIN in hand as I applied online so I was able to check status easily. My app went into processing October 1 and yesterday when I got home I did the daily inquiry, expecting to see "Processing Application" for the next several weeks and was pleasantly surprised to see the status had changed to "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active". Now all I have to do is wait on the plastic in the mail which could be today or 2 weeks from now, who knows.

I have to say I was really shocked at how quick it went through, especially after having read all the horror stories of other peoples wait times. Not sure how true this is but heard that there was supposedly quicker processing for veterans, so any other vets out there, maybe it'll help speed your processing along too.

That is amazing. Perhaps you sent a nice card and flowers in with your application??

haha...
    Texas SOT

DocRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Arlington
    It took 8 months from the time I took the class until I got my license. I was beginning to think that there was actually no such a license and this was just another way for the state to make some quick cash off of a gullible public!

I found out after I finally recieved my license that the hold-up was because: I had security clearances with the Department of Justice and Homeland Security, and DPS had requested both agencies to respond back to them regarding my current security status with them. I was already aware of how fast the Feds are when responding to major disasters, now I know how fast they are responding to what they would consider an insignificant request.

djspump2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Austin
    That is why they say to get the renewal done 6 months out, because of this backup and you won't be without your permit while waiting on them to process.

eedsr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    S. TEXAS
    It"s finaly here

After almost 4 months it is here, Came in just before Dolly came in.
    They sure are backlogged.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I found out after I finally recieved my license that the hold-up was because: I had security clearances with the Department of Justice and Homeland Security, and DPS had requested both agencies to respond back to them regarding my current security status with them.

Shit I wonder how long is going to take for me! I have Security Clearance with The Pentagon and the White House (Only designated ares). Was I suppose to put that in the application?!? Cause I forgot....

DocRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Arlington
    Shit I wonder how long is going to take for me! I have Security Clearance with The Pentagon and the White House (Only designated ares). Was I suppose to put that in the application?!? Cause I forgot....

No, I'm certain that we were not supposed to list any other clearances as there was no additional space to do so; and it was not mentioned anywhere in the licensure requirements either. I assume that they simply pop-up when your background check is being run through the computer systems.

My years with the DOJ became routine after I developed a system for collecting and compiling data from prison facilities and filing a formal report for use in federal court litigation... which transformed my job into a boring, no-brainer that I could have trained a new employee to do in about an hour. My clearance had nothing to do with firearms, and was strictly for access to high security areas in prison facilities and court house files to collect and compile sensitive data into a formal report... period. No guns, no glory, no excitement, and the worst aspect of all: no job satisfaction. So I quit and went back to school to earn yet another useless degree.

Last week, I was visiting with a DPS officer who I frequently run into at an indoor range. After we had consumed a gallon of coffee and spent quite a while discussing our life experiences, the CHL topic came up. He surprised me when he commented that it was possibly my own indirect fault that it took so long to get my license approved, and after he explained why he thought so, I knew he was right.

A few years ago, I accepted a position with Homeland Security (no guns, no excitement, just a job). I attended and completed their training program, but realized during the training that I really didn't have the desire to ever work for the Feds again. So prior to receiving a specific assignment, I quit; citing that I was just not suited to perform the duties of that position.

The DPS officer said that he would have immediately flagged my application as questionable had he not known my background, and that anyone running a background check should have flagged it to allow for time to find out if I had any problems or suspect motives behind my actions. People do not normally work through a process to be issued security clearance and then revoke that clearance in less than a week. Looking at it from his law enforcement perspective, it dawned on me... I look like a flake on paper!

So I'm sure that your clearances will not present a problem for you as long as you didn't do anything stupid that made you look like a flake like I did!

Top Bottom