• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texsun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Eff that! I will buy an American product when it lasts as long as my Toyota which currently has 190,000+ on it. American car makers have been screwing us for years. The only reason they donate in the name of tragedy is guess what-to make money. Look around, foreign cars last. The paint jobs alone tell the story. Fords and Dodges look like shit after 4 years. And when firestone tires had their problems Ford jumped their shit and said eff you after over 100 years in buisness together. Eff American cars. I hope they all fail.
    Lynx Defense

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    If buying a car based on contributions to 9/11 relief is important to you, then such a listing might be of use. Personally, I'm more interested in the specifics of the vehicles that a specific automaker produces as opposed to what they do or don't donate to.

Exactly.

Eff that! I will buy an American product when it lasts as long as my Toyota which currently has 190,000+ on it. American car makers have been screwing us for years. The only reason they donate in the name of tragedy is guess what-to make money. Look around, foreign cars last. The paint jobs alone tell the story. Fords and Dodges look like shit after 4 years. And when firestone tires had their problems Ford jumped their shit and said eff you after over 100 years in buisness together. Eff American cars. I hope they all fail.

American cars don't do so badly. And not all imports last forever: European cars fall apart and break at rates varying from "fast" to "but I just bought the damn thing!"

BTW, the "problem" with Firestone tires? That they were bolted to Fords and inflated to only 26 psi per Ford instructions. People doing 90 mph on hot freeways with 75 series tires didn't help matters... Tall tires have a lot of sidewall flex at higher speeds, which causes a lot of heat. Under-inflated, tall tires at high speed. Any wonder why they overheated and failed?

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    American cars don't do so badly. And not all imports last forever: European cars fall apart and break at rates varying from "fast" to "but I just bought the damn thing!"

This is important. Brand loyalty means little these days now that the manufacturers are no longer consistent. Research, research, research! Knowledge is your friend and carefully suppressing your assumptions about specific manufacturers whenever looking for a new car are important.

There's also the actual origin of the cars and their components as well...

• The highly reliable 4-cylinder engines in Ford Rangers? Mazda engines. The Mazda B-Series use Ford Ranger bodies.
    • The Pontiac G8? Built by Holden of Australia... expect to see it marketed under one of the surviving GM brands.
    • Some Nissan Quest models? Ford Minivan bodies (the Aero?) with Nissan engines.
    • Most Saturn models? Re-badged Opel (GM's German/European branch) models slightly re-engineered for the US market.
    • Ford Focus? Touted as "the most popular car in the world" ... only what they sell here isn't the same as overseas.
    • The VW models made in Mexico tend to be the least reliable. I know that the Jetta is made there - probably another model as well.
    • I'm sure that everyone now realizes that GM's "GEO" brand were re-badged Japanese cars (I remember the Prizm [Corolla] didn't even bother re-labelling the engine components beyond using a "GM" engine cover rather than "Toyota").

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I've stayed away from this one but decided to look, like a bad wreck. Yep, typical.....

Y'all ignored an early reply, so here's another. You know that is an email that started back 7-8 years ago right? And that most of that is not true? Most of this import manufactures that are listed as not having done anything did indeed contribute money, significant amounts in some cases, most through the Red Cross.

Y'all are just looking for someone to snap their finger and tell you to march!

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    no, most if this thread isn't even discussing the original post...

it is just car talk....

And obviously my reply was to the original post and some, the few replies to it. Which was just another made up email that's years old and people are still circulating it and believing it.....dare I use the "sheep" word?

Replying to random thread drift would get pretty confusing.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    And obviously my reply was to the original post and some, the few replies to it. Which was just another made up email that's years old and people are still circulating it and believing it.....dare I use the "sheep" word?

Replying to random thread drift would get pretty confusing.

Did you bother to read my later post?
    "This thread was posted to elicit a response”
    It was a slow day on the forum and I pulled this out of a very old e-mail
    The thread has ended up where I intended, “Discussion on foreign and domestic vehicles”
    He,He!!!!
    Now sit down and talk about cars - LOL!!!

'

Texsun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Toyota has been slowly taking over market share. They didn't want U.S. car makers to immediately go belly up but rather slowly go off and die somewhere, as it would cast them as the demon. Now Wall Street greed has done the job for them. They will soon be everywhere. Don't believe me, look at the Camrys' in Nascar now. Camry you say? Yup- they sandbagged it the first year barely winning any races. They will take over Nascar in the next five years with deep pockets and willing race teams wanting out of the American car stigma. With the baby boomers rapidly leaving the market American brand loyalty is out the window.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I have a short list of things to remember when shopping for a new car:

GM and Mopar have both stood up and announced that they're Obama's bitch.

This is important. Brand loyalty means little these days now that the manufacturers are no longer consistent. Research, research, research! Knowledge is your friend and carefully suppressing your assumptions about specific manufacturers whenever looking for a new car are important.

Exactly.

There's also the actual origin of the cars and their components as well...

• The highly reliable 4-cylinder engines in Ford Rangers? Mazda engines. The Mazda B-Series use Ford Ranger bodies.
    • The Pontiac G8? Built by Holden of Australia... expect to see it marketed under one of the surviving GM brands.
    • Some Nissan Quest models? Ford Minivan bodies (the Aero?) with Nissan engines.
    • Most Saturn models? Re-badged Opel (GM's German/European branch) models slightly re-engineered for the US market.
    • Ford Focus? Touted as "the most popular car in the world" ... only what they sell here isn't the same as overseas.
    • The VW models made in Mexico tend to be the least reliable. I know that the Jetta is made there - probably another model as well.
    • I'm sure that everyone now realizes that GM's "GEO" brand were re-badged Japanese cars (I remember the Prizm [Corolla] didn't even bother re-labelling the engine components beyond using a "GM" engine cover rather than "Toyota").

Erm.. Not quite.

• Pretty much all Ford 4 cylinder engines were designed in conjunction with Mazda.
    • The Mazda B-series pickup doesn't simply use a Ranger body, it is a Ranger (ditto with the Isuzu trucks and GM's Canyon series).
    • The Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager thing is out of date. Ford never built the Villager, they were Nissan from front to rear.
    • GM's Sigma platform; one car fits all...
    • The rest of the world is one generation ahead of our Focus. IIRC, the Mazda 3 and Volvo S40 are the next-gen platform, or at least were.
    • Vee Dubs have all gone to crap in the past few years. None that I've worked on have been all that reliable. The most common problems they have are electronic, and the Bosch stuff they use is shipped over from Europe. The other problems like engine sludging aren't going to be affected by where the car is built; it's an engineering issue.
    • Yep, the Toyota and two Suzukis. I really miss my wife's 94 Metro. A 1 liter 3 cylinder engine with a 5 speed manual transmission... great little car.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    I need to do a bit more research next time, bit the point is that the origins of vehicles is far more involved than the badges would have you think.

micah7488

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Waxahachie/ San Antonio
    I've stayed away from this one but decided to look, like a bad wreck. Yep, typical.....

Y'all ignored an early reply, so here's another. You know that is an email that started back 7-8 years ago right? And that most of that is not true? Most of this import manufactures that are listed as not having done anything did indeed contribute money, significant amounts in some cases, most through the Red Cross.

Y'all are just looking for someone to snap their finger and tell you to march!

i snope'd it and that is how i was able to come across honda's involvement.
    my family used to be all ford then we went gm and now our last 4 vehicles have been hondas. (excluding mercedes, and ill say german cars last FOREVER)

tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    awesome....

haul a family of 8 around in your civic.
    hell, haul a family of 8 around in any import

you can't, they don't make one big enough

Not quit true. About half of chevy/gmc tahoe's and suburbans are built in canada. Check the vin#. If the first digit is a 2 then it's made in canada, not american made. On the other hand toyota sequoia's are assembled in indiana and the nissans armada is built in mississippi buy american workers. Both of these suvs will seat the same 8 as your surburban more comfortably because they have more seating room. The only thing the surburban has over either of these is more cargo room behind the rear seat.

Top Bottom