Things to consider with a change of regimes...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BrazosCoTX, Oct 24, 2008.

1. BrazosCoTX

BrazosCoTX New Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Brazos County, TX
    1. Although this has been a frequent topic recently, what should you consider purchasing before Inauguration Day?

I thought about this long and hard, and recently traded in a HD shotgun I really wasn't shooting much and bought an AR. Pistols, I got, with magazines of various capacities. And as a hedge against a semi-auto ban some day, I even have a couple of Ruger single action six-shooters, both convertibles to expand my options.

2. What are you doing to solidify your claim to be a "sport shooter"?

This could be important some day, as I expect that the "anti's" will look for reasons to deny gun ownership to those who can't show a valid reason other than self defense (is there any more important reason, really?). I encourage you to consider joining an NRA affiliated club of some type that sponsors regular sanctioned competition among members. Being the new AR owner that I am, membership in the local service rifle club is looking like the thing to do. Will also continue to compete in Glock Sport Shooting Foundation, not only for the fun, but because the match scores are recorded and my participation validates my claim to be a sport shooter.

3. If you are not a licensed hunter in Texas, should you be?

Currently I'm not, but I consider hunters to be loyal stewards of our forests, lands, and game animals, and I have many friends who do hunt. I may join their ranks and get a license, to hunt feral hogs on public land if nothing else, since we seem to be overrun with them. Again-- in a worst case scenario where you may have to build a case to keep your weapons, this is one more reason to own firearms.

Don't get me wrong-- I don't think any citizen needs ANY justification to keep and bear arms, based upon the 2nd Amendment; however, I expect that right to be challenged in the future, and a prudent person plans against the worst case scenarios.

Semper Fidelis

2. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    1. Unfortunately we will not be in country to purchase anything by then. So, we get to join the party in process. I hope things aren't twidled up by then.

2. I don't need to prove anything about being a 'sport shooter'. Appeasing someone else's comfort so I can purchase a firearm is between me and my dealer.

3. Again, not licensed yet due to location, but will be getting the instruction and paperwork put in asap after getting in country. I'll always be licensed to carry no matter where we live.

3. DrBart2

DrBart2 Active Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    I bought an M1 carbine yesterday. Why?
    --It is not a black "evil" looking gun.
    --It does not have that "assault weapon" pistol grip
    --It was used during WWII, so will possibly be considered a collectors firearm
    --It is just a lot of fun to shoot!!!
    I believe the first group of firearms that the Dems will try to deny the population is any "black" gun and any rifle with a pistol grip( you know, assault rifles). They will take a little from us at a time. I also believe that they will go after the ammo to somehow make it inaccessible to the general public. Who knows, soon when we buy ammo we will have to order it and our SS# will be stamped on each individual bullet. The cost will be so outrageous that no one will shoot any more.
    I don't believe that they will attempt to confiscate American's guns, but I do believe that they will make it almost impossible to purchase additional guns. And try to make ammo inaccessible. I believe the ammo thing is already being attempted in California.

4. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    The right to bear arms, they cannot do away with it, but no where in the 2nd ammendmant does it say that it has to be affordable, that is going to be their "loop hole", just wait and see.....

5. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    If we have to justify a 'sporting' use for our firearms, we've already lost. I sold of an AR, a 9mm carbine and a Beretta Px4 .40. I bought some more useful weapons, such as another Glock and a more versatile Sig556. I plan on purchasing at least 2 more Glocks, and 2 more S&W M&Ps. I plan on purchasing a few thousand rounds of ammo in 9mm, .40, .45 .223 and 5.56mm.

Rumor has it that the new "assault weapon ban" will include ban on all semi-automatic handguns and rifles. It will include a provision for an "arsenal permit" for anyone possessing over 300 rounds of ammunition. Ammo will be subject to a 500% tax. There will be no "sunset", so this one will be permanent.

If ANY of these are true, we're in deep doodoo.

6. TJ Willy

TJ Willy Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Wichita Falls
    Nail... Head...

just sayin'

But if I had to choose, I would say handguns first.... of the semi flavor...

7. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Everyone, right now, should be focused on actually BUYING firearms. Things like voting for pro-gun politicians are important of course, but I'm talking in addition to that. I mean, once you have them, then it's a whole other story. They can make obtaining them a PITA in the future through excessive and unreasonable regulation/taxation, but the guns that are out there already are an insurmountable obstacle to their goals. Some numbers that matter:

-According to the NRA there are something like over 80 million gun owners in this country

-According to the NRA there are over 260-280 million privately owned firearms in this country

Those numbers are too large for them to just make disappear by a few strokes of the pen, and are growing by the day. We need to focus on maintaining this "disparity of force" between us and the anti's. I mean, that's really what it is, a disparity of force. There are a little over 303 million people in this country last I checked, with some 40+% of households having a firearm in them, 37% of the population owning some ~280 million firearms. That is a disparity of force as a significant amount of our population is not defenseless and will not simply roll over for them as they wish.

8. djspump2003

djspump2003 Active Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Austin
    I agree that they might not go so far as to confiscate our firearms shortly in the future, so buying more before they ban regular semi-autos is not a bad idea.

However, what about the micro-stamping that the liberals are pushing so hard for right now? The things I've read about it would require people to actually get rid of all ammo they possess that does not bear the micro-stamping. It seems like the direct attack that hand-loaders (like myself) have not seen through the assault weapon bans and the like. Obama was very serious in his attacks against gun-owners of all types when he was a state senator in Illinois. I'm curious if the Patriot Act is something he could use to invade people's homes in search of banned items he puts on the list.
    -GM2(SW)

9. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    My point is this (and it's not a popular one to discuss these days). If we already have the guns, their only recourse will be to take them from us. In large part that means through force. Hell, even the founding fathers (can't remember which ones) said that it is a citizen's duty to resist unconstitutional and morally unjust laws. I hate to think that things could ever get to that point in this country, as fighting other Americans is not my idea of fun. When push comes to shove though and all legal options have been exhausted, are you just going to hand everything over and go silently?

10. bfm0072

bfm0072 Member

Apr 23, 2008
    Round Rock
    Why is it when a law is passed it cant be overturned at a later date?