DK Firearms

Things to consider with a change of regimes...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrazosCoTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Brazos County, TX
    1. Although this has been a frequent topic recently, what should you consider purchasing before Inauguration Day?

I thought about this long and hard, and recently traded in a HD shotgun I really wasn't shooting much and bought an AR. Pistols, I got, with magazines of various capacities. And as a hedge against a semi-auto ban some day, I even have a couple of Ruger single action six-shooters, both convertibles to expand my options.

2. What are you doing to solidify your claim to be a "sport shooter"?

This could be important some day, as I expect that the "anti's" will look for reasons to deny gun ownership to those who can't show a valid reason other than self defense (is there any more important reason, really?). I encourage you to consider joining an NRA affiliated club of some type that sponsors regular sanctioned competition among members. Being the new AR owner that I am, membership in the local service rifle club is looking like the thing to do. Will also continue to compete in Glock Sport Shooting Foundation, not only for the fun, but because the match scores are recorded and my participation validates my claim to be a sport shooter.

3. If you are not a licensed hunter in Texas, should you be?

Currently I'm not, but I consider hunters to be loyal stewards of our forests, lands, and game animals, and I have many friends who do hunt. I may join their ranks and get a license, to hunt feral hogs on public land if nothing else, since we seem to be overrun with them. Again-- in a worst case scenario where you may have to build a case to keep your weapons, this is one more reason to own firearms.

Don't get me wrong-- I don't think any citizen needs ANY justification to keep and bear arms, based upon the 2nd Amendment; however, I expect that right to be challenged in the future, and a prudent person plans against the worst case scenarios.

Semper Fidelis
    Texas SOT

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    1. Unfortunately we will not be in country to purchase anything by then. So, we get to join the party in process. I hope things aren't twidled up by then.

2. I don't need to prove anything about being a 'sport shooter'. Appeasing someone else's comfort so I can purchase a firearm is between me and my dealer.

3. Again, not licensed yet due to location, but will be getting the instruction and paperwork put in asap after getting in country. I'll always be licensed to carry no matter where we live.

DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    I bought an M1 carbine yesterday. Why?
    --It is not a black "evil" looking gun.
    --It does not have that "assault weapon" pistol grip
    --It was used during WWII, so will possibly be considered a collectors firearm
    --It is just a lot of fun to shoot!!!
    I believe the first group of firearms that the Dems will try to deny the population is any "black" gun and any rifle with a pistol grip( you know, assault rifles). They will take a little from us at a time. I also believe that they will go after the ammo to somehow make it inaccessible to the general public. Who knows, soon when we buy ammo we will have to order it and our SS# will be stamped on each individual bullet. The cost will be so outrageous that no one will shoot any more.
    I don't believe that they will attempt to confiscate American's guns, but I do believe that they will make it almost impossible to purchase additional guns. And try to make ammo inaccessible. I believe the ammo thing is already being attempted in California.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    The right to bear arms, they cannot do away with it, but no where in the 2nd ammendmant does it say that it has to be affordable, that is going to be their "loop hole", just wait and see.....

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    If we have to justify a 'sporting' use for our firearms, we've already lost. I sold of an AR, a 9mm carbine and a Beretta Px4 .40. I bought some more useful weapons, such as another Glock and a more versatile Sig556. I plan on purchasing at least 2 more Glocks, and 2 more S&W M&Ps. I plan on purchasing a few thousand rounds of ammo in 9mm, .40, .45 .223 and 5.56mm.

Rumor has it that the new "assault weapon ban" will include ban on all semi-automatic handguns and rifles. It will include a provision for an "arsenal permit" for anyone possessing over 300 rounds of ammunition. Ammo will be subject to a 500% tax. There will be no "sunset", so this one will be permanent.

If ANY of these are true, we're in deep doodoo.

TJ Willy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Wichita Falls
    The right to bear arms, they cannot do away with it, but no where in the 2nd ammendmant does it say that it has to be affordable, that is going to be their "loop hole", just wait and see.....

Nail... Head...

just sayin'

But if I had to choose, I would say handguns first.... of the semi flavor...

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Everyone, right now, should be focused on actually BUYING firearms. Things like voting for pro-gun politicians are important of course, but I'm talking in addition to that. I mean, once you have them, then it's a whole other story. They can make obtaining them a PITA in the future through excessive and unreasonable regulation/taxation, but the guns that are out there already are an insurmountable obstacle to their goals. Some numbers that matter:

-According to the NRA there are something like over 80 million gun owners in this country

-According to the NRA there are over 260-280 million privately owned firearms in this country

Those numbers are too large for them to just make disappear by a few strokes of the pen, and are growing by the day. We need to focus on maintaining this "disparity of force" between us and the anti's. I mean, that's really what it is, a disparity of force. There are a little over 303 million people in this country last I checked, with some 40+% of households having a firearm in them, 37% of the population owning some ~280 million firearms. That is a disparity of force as a significant amount of our population is not defenseless and will not simply roll over for them as they wish.

djspump2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Austin
    I agree that they might not go so far as to confiscate our firearms shortly in the future, so buying more before they ban regular semi-autos is not a bad idea.

However, what about the micro-stamping that the liberals are pushing so hard for right now? The things I've read about it would require people to actually get rid of all ammo they possess that does not bear the micro-stamping. It seems like the direct attack that hand-loaders (like myself) have not seen through the assault weapon bans and the like. Obama was very serious in his attacks against gun-owners of all types when he was a state senator in Illinois. I'm curious if the Patriot Act is something he could use to invade people's homes in search of banned items he puts on the list.
    -GM2(SW)

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    My point is this (and it's not a popular one to discuss these days). If we already have the guns, their only recourse will be to take them from us. In large part that means through force. Hell, even the founding fathers (can't remember which ones) said that it is a citizen's duty to resist unconstitutional and morally unjust laws. I hate to think that things could ever get to that point in this country, as fighting other Americans is not my idea of fun. When push comes to shove though and all legal options have been exhausted, are you just going to hand everything over and go silently?

djspump2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Austin
    I am really amazed at the defeatist attitude. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    If you have ever had any military training besides that which you see on the tv, you would know that you hope (or pray) for the best and you prepare for the worst. The quality of your training is going to mitigate your results. However, not everything can be trained for, and hence prepared for. Like some poor guy that falls off his rope during the actual op when he's 50ft off the ground and dies.
    -These aren't the words of defeated people. Should we just wait until after the election to have the conversation? After a weapons ban is on the books? Before someone kicks in your door?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    If you have ever had any military training besides that which you see on the tv, you would know that you hope (or pray) for the best and you prepare for the worst. The quality of your training is going to mitigate your results. However, not everything can be trained for, and hence prepared for. Like some poor guy that falls off his rope during the actual op when he's 50ft off the ground and dies.
    -These aren't the words of defeated people. Should we just wait until after the election to have the conversation? After a weapons ban is on the books? Before someone kicks in your door?

This is NOT military training in action. If it was, we would be discussing ways to DEFEAT Obama instead of how to cut and run with whatever we can get before he takes office.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    This is NOT military training in action. If it was, we would be discussing ways to DEFEAT Obama instead of how to cut and run with whatever we can get before he takes office.

I don't believe anyone is suggesting that we cut-n-run, and I also believe we're doing what we can to defeat Obama. The problem is, our nation is comprised largely of a group if uneducated and miseducated 'voters' who either have their hand out or don't understand the function of the Federal Government.

Buying up guns and ammo is not defeatist, by any means. It's preparation and circumvention. We intend to fight the AWB and Obama, but it would be foolish to believe we couldn't lose.

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    ..... Like some poor guy that falls off his rope during the actual op when he's 50ft off the ground and dies.

Interesting that you mention that... we had a guy do just that during VBSS (Vessel Board Search and Seizure) training... didn't die, just broke his back and was in this pretty neat contraption where he had wires and poles sticking out everywhere.

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    spike in gun sales

Regardless of political outcome something to ponder; are people buying guns in record numbers to simply give them back if they are banned?

interesting notes on this page

RE: OT: But security sorta related...: msg#00067 security.funsec

what struck me most was the following paragraph from above
    =================================================
    The Law of Unintended Consequences decreed that there would be two
    unexpected results of this Clintonista constitutional misbehavior.
    The first was the importation and sale within a few months of several
    millions of semi-auto rifles (principally SKS and AK-variants) into the
    U.S. This was in anticipation of, and defiance of, the so-called "Assault
    Weapons Ban." Indeed, this was more rifles of these types than had been
    sold in the previous TWENTY YEARS. And it was in a political climate where
    it was fully expected that the next law would call for the confiscation of
    such weapons. Why, then, did this massive arming take place? Were we buying
    these rifles merely to turn them over later? When the Clintonistas realized
    that we were not buying these rifles to turn them in, but to turn ON THEM
    if they became even more threatening to our liberties, it gave them
    considerable pause. I am told the analysts in the bowels of the J.
    Edgar Hoover building were particularly impressed.

============================

Important note to keep in mind while keeping your political ears open. Both sides have done their best to keep guns out of this election and that is good/telling (albeit sneaky). We must support our pro gun organizations and keep our politicians phones ringing with our views so they do not forget we put them in office. We must make a stronger bond between the different shooting sports as all to often duck hunters, bench rest shooters, and pistol guys ignore when the law is not targeted directly at their preferred sport. All gun owners are in this together and we must work together.When one man's freedom is lost it may be yours that is next.

We will all do fine as long as we show the anti gun folks we are united. Also bringing new people into the sport and education of those who misunderstand what we do will make the most difference.

More kids die in pool accidents than accidental shootings and i suspect a lot more guns than pools exist in my city.

jack010203

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    "We will all do fine as long as we show the anti gun folks we are united. Also bringing new people into the sport and education of those who misunderstand what we do will make the most difference.

More kids die in pool accidents than accidental shootings and i suspect a lot more guns than pools exist in my city."

+1

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I think one of the most beneficial things we can do as gun owners, to further protect our 2A rights, is to try and bring more and more people into gun ownership. Try to educate people on firearms. Everyone isn't going to like them, but the more people we can educate, the better. By doing so, we'll also likely get a few more enthusiasts into firearms. Our current numbers are at roughly somewhere around 80 million. Now if we could just get that up higher around say 150 million or more, that would be a massive "force" to be reckoned with. At that point, we'd have roughly 50% of the population.

Also, in addition to trying to bring more people into the 2A thing, I think it's incredibly important to try to bring a wider variety of people into it, such as women, children (in a safe manner of course), etc etc. With the way our society is setup today, there are a large number of things designed in such a way so as to really poison women and children to the 2A, and to paint firearms as some sort of "evil" thing that they shouldn't have anything to do with. Basically what I'm getting at is, the libs have been socially re-engineering this country for the past 50+ years, and some of those efforts have been against firearm ownership. We need to start using some of these same social engineering aspects to start popularizing firearms and dispelling all the fallacies and lies out there, basically putting a positive light on the 2A. Honestly, it is my opinion that if we don't start doing this, our numbers might start to decline consistently (as newer generations become brainwashed against the 2A) to the point where the anti's can just wait us out until our numbers are few, and then just ban everything.

Top Bottom