• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Pappy Boyington flew P40s for the AVG and then Corsiars for the Marines. P-51s were an Army Air Force fighter that mostly operated in Europe and North Africa.

I have no idea what aircraft either show (Baa Baa Black Sheep, Black Sheep Squadron) chronicling Boyington’s feats used.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Pappy Boyington flew P40s for the AVG and then Corsiars for the Marines. P-51s were an Army Air Force fighter that mostly operated in Europe and North Africa.

I have no idea what aircraft either show (Baa Baa Black Sheep, Black Sheep Squadron) chronicling Boyington’s feats used.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Just to show how a single anecdote can be misleading, my dad thought the F4-U was the worst plane in existence. I know better based on, well, documented history.

Unfortunately my dad's only experience with them was relaying radio traffic from one who had mechanical problems and had to ditch in the ocean within view of his observation point atop a peak in the occupied Phillipines. Rescue aircraft were too far away to get there quickly.

Two other F4-Us circled and watched. Both of them either ran out of fuel or had mechanical problems and also wound up in the water.

Dad continued to relay radio traffic until the Japanese arrived. Then he had to tell the rescue to turn back.

Basically, he saw three of them fail in short order and their pilots captured or killed by the enemy. No amount of my reading and trying to educate him could change his mind.

But, boy, did he love P-38s! He'd sight a Zero on patrol, run out to wave to the pilot, and frequently get lots of natives to join him. The Japanese pilots loved the attention and would circle back repeatedly to get their egos stroked.

Meanwhile, dad was on his radio and, often enough to impress him, a couple of P-38s would dive in and the Zero would go down.

Damn war nearly destroyed my dad. Nobody should have to see things he saw.

But that was his job - to see those things and report them back to Australia.

Things You See At Work thread, indeed. :(

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Well next time Ill get picsnof the Corsair the Wildcat The Lightning and a few others in the mans collection of close to 50 vintage aircraft.

Not to mention the Falcon 2000 Citation 10x Bell 429 and others in his corporate fleet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I built a museum that held 3 P-51s, a P40, P-38, Corsair, Typhoon, F-86, Mig 21s , A-26, DC-3 all flyable. Quite a few static displays. Quite a treat.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I remember many years ago, working night shift as a supervisor on New Year's Eve. Lots of the companies I worked for back then didn't shut down operations just because it was a holiday.

A lot of times, I would try and get my guys into somewhat of a festive mood by bringing in some BBQ, or chili or we would make some burgers and dogs at the shop, and keep the shop radios cranked up. I knew they didn't want to be at work any more than I did, but work still had to be done.

One of my wash bay guys was washing trucks, strolled in the shop to grab a snack off the table I had set up, and he had a pair of those safety googles on, filled half way up inside with Skittles!

Yeah, his new nickname became Skittles!

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I had a guy walk up to me holding his neck once. He fell over a nearly blead out till a new officer stuck his unloved finger into the wound and artery like a cork. It was a nasty freak wound. He was just horse playin and a ring of his buddy/fellow retard caught his neck just right.

Another time I found I guy so terribly beaten we had to lock down an entire prison complex just to see who was missing. I mean they took the boot to him and most of his face was peeled down around his neck. They crushed it so bad he never looked the same again.

Another time I watched a video of a guy talking a 45 lbs Olympic weight bar to the head of another. It struck me as odd how his body reacted. He seemed to levitate in mid air while his body quickly retracted into the fetal position before falling to the ground.

Suffice to say none of the guys were ever quite the same again.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Many years ago, I fired one of my night shift supervisors for playing with a snake in and around the shop.

The shop area and parking lot was built on a built up mound of dirt, surrounded almost on three sides by some swampy marshland. During the summer, it wasn't uncommon to see snakes crawling across the warm concrete in the evening or at night.

So this idiot supervisor decides to capture one that is outside the shop and brings it into the shop, scaring the other guys with the snake. The snake in question, happens to be a venomous water moccasin! Seriously.

A couple of the guys call me at home and give me a short story of what's happening. I get to the shop, and sure enough, he's walking around, lunging the snake at people in the shop. I told the supervisor to get rid of the snake and meet me in the office. I fired him on the spot for horseplay. Sent a message to my manager and to the HR manager detailing to what happened.

Next day, I get called to the HR manager's office, and we have a phone conference call with my immediate area manager, and I have to detail and explain my actions as to firing this supervisor. They didn't like immediate firings in the least.

I explain the scenario. Where the shop is located outside of town. it could be at least 45 minutes to an hour until medical help arrived. (Wasn't the first medical emergency I had dealt with at this shop, so I knew about what the response times would or could be.) At least 20 minutes if someone drove a person to the nearest hospital if they happened to get snakebitten. AM asked why would that be a concern? He didn't understand what we were dealing with was a venomous snake, like a copperhead or rattlesnake. The light bulb went off in his head once he realized the significant importance of what happened.

I detailed the reasons for my decision to immediately fire th supervisor.
    1. Horseplay was strictly forbidden in the workplace by company policy. Can include, up to termination, even for the first offense if necessary.
    2. The supervisor had several previous incidents of being wrote up for company policy violations.
    3. I determined the actions of the supervisor, warranted my immediate removal of him from company property to ensure the welfare and safety of the employees around him at the time of the incident.

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    They had a form blowout today. Ive seen it on tilt walls but not this. Stupid design imo. Only doweled into the wall a few inches and held with construction adhesive. I wouldnt park under that if i knew how they did it. (Purely cosmetic)
    Last pic is before its formed up

Attachments

• 20210802_145338_resized.jpg
      20210802_145338_resized.jpg
      1.5 MB · Views: 114
    • 20210802_145413_03.jpg
      20210802_145413_03.jpg
      1.6 MB · Views: 116
    • 20210723_100027.jpg
      20210723_100027.jpg
      1.4 MB · Views: 116
    Last edited:

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    craigntx post reminded me of a work story. My first job was working for a pipeline company at what they called a research lab. (They did very little actual research, but they had some lab facilities.) In one part of the building was a shop area with lathes and drill presses and such. A couple of old technicians worked there and they could make any kind of stuff you needed for a project - like a switch box or a flywheel cover. Mostly they fixed and re-charged car air conditioners for the company big shots from the downtown Houston office. We went through some re-org and downsizing in the mid-80's. I ended up in downtown and the old techs were given retirement packages. A couple of years later, the metallurgy guys managed to talk the company into buying some xray equipment and they needed an area with concrete walls to keep from irradiating everybody.

That old shop area was picked, and they removed the machinery and cabinets. First problem: too many years of working on old measurement equipment had left an incredible amount of mercury under and behind all of the old equipment. They'd move a drill press and a pound of beads of mercury would roll across the floor. Took them months to get it decontaminated. Then they put up forms to pour concrete for the walls. Being metallurgists - and NOT structural engineers - they decided the existing walls (sheet metal) would be just fine for one side of the forms. Concrete shows up and they do a rapid pour to get everything filled up at once. Just about the time they get the forms filled, there came a loud crack and the existing walls failed. Piles of concrete everywhere. By the time they figured out what to do, the piles had hardened. Weeks of work went into chipping the concrete up. It wasn't long after that when an apartment company offered the company a very nice price for the land and the place was sold, torn down, and is now an apartment complex.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It wasn't long after that when an apartment company offered the company a very nice price for the land and the place was sold, torn down, and is now an apartment complex.
    In the Houston area, I can point you to a couple of SuperFund environmental clean-up sites that never got cleaned up but now, somehow, they're apartment complexes.

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    In the Houston area, I can point you to a couple of SuperFund environmental clean-up sites that never got cleaned up but now, somehow, they're apartment complexes.
    I know one thats now a petrolium related bldg. I got a headache just being within 50' of that (future) building corner

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    It's called "brownfielding". Greenfield is when you build something where nothing else has been. Brownfield is when you take some industrial site, get it just clean enough that it's not going to cause a problem, then use it for some purpose that will prevent it being used as an elementary school playground or something. If you don't do that, the EPA standards are sometimes more restrictive than the original site was before anything was there. (I ran into that on a pipeline property in NJ. The background levels of arsenic were such that the state wanted us to bring in new dirt from out of state to replace the entire site.) One company I worked for had a 10 acre piece of property on the Houston Ship Channel that was locked between a petroleum tank farm and a former steel mill that was converted to a warehouse complex. The property had some super-thick tar deep down that wasn't going anywhere. It made more sense to release the property for an industrial purpose rather than try to make a 100 foot deep hole and fill it back in.

I see a property near Conroe that's about to be used for a giant warehouse. The pipeline company I worked for 40 years ago leased the property to store pipe. Turned out it was a capped creosote plant and the owner failed to disclose that. Lots of agencies involved, lawsuits everywhere. Took a long time for the gov't to figure out that the old stuff buried there isn't going anywhere and it's safer to use the site for an industrial purpose.

Superfund was one of the worst environmental programs ever dreamed up. Basic idea is that if you have a contaminated site - say an old dump - you find the biggest companies involved (i.e., deepest pockets) and you make them pay to clean it up. So maybe one company dumped one drum there and another dumped thousands of drums. They're going to fight over how much they have to pay. Probably 90% or more of the money spent goes to legal fees and it takes decades to get anything actually cleaned up. EPA makes it worse by doing things like setting cleanup levels that are lower than you can analyze for. It's a 3-ring circus of stupidity.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    All I hear from my friends still working is pretty much unhappiness. My one buddy who works offshore is the worse!

When I up and quit working he went on & on about how I couldn’t afford it! We been talking this morning so I hit him with my steak & eggs brunch! America **** Yeah!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It's called "brownfielding". Greenfield is when you build something where nothing else has been. Brownfield is when you take some industrial site, get it just clean enough that it's not going to cause a problem, then use it for some purpose that will prevent it being used as an elementary school playground or something. If you don't do that, the EPA standards are sometimes more restrictive than the original site was before anything was there. (I ran into that on a pipeline property in NJ. The background levels of arsenic were such that the state wanted us to bring in new dirt from out of state to replace the entire site.) One company I worked for had a 10 acre piece of property on the Houston Ship Channel that was locked between a petroleum tank farm and a former steel mill that was converted to a warehouse complex. The property had some super-thick tar deep down that wasn't going anywhere. It made more sense to release the property for an industrial purpose rather than try to make a 100 foot deep hole and fill it back in.

I see a property near Conroe that's about to be used for a giant warehouse. The pipeline company I worked for 40 years ago leased the property to store pipe. Turned out it was a capped creosote plant and the owner failed to disclose that. Lots of agencies involved, lawsuits everywhere. Took a long time for the gov't to figure out that the old stuff buried there isn't going anywhere and it's safer to use the site for an industrial purpose.

Superfund was one of the worst environmental programs ever dreamed up. Basic idea is that if you have a contaminated site - say an old dump - you find the biggest companies involved (i.e., deepest pockets) and you make them pay to clean it up. So maybe one company dumped one drum there and another dumped thousands of drums. They're going to fight over how much they have to pay. Probably 90% or more of the money spent goes to legal fees and it takes decades to get anything actually cleaned up. EPA makes it worse by doing things like setting cleanup levels that are lower than you can analyze for. It's a 3-ring circus of stupidity.

Agree and disagree.

As far as cleanup levels go, a lot of the super fund sites are cleaned to standards that have absolutely no relationship to the site actually being clean. Hudson River is a good example of this.

My current job requires cleanup to the point of being “undetectable”.

I imagine a lot of it varies based on what’s being cleaned up. But I believe the primary driver comes down to the political pressure a company can wield and who/where their friends are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom