Venture Surplus ad

Think the ammo market is about to get better? Think again.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Think the ammo market is about to get better? Think again.

Well guys...............there it is. Better get to neckbearding the .223/5.56 while you can.

"The real issue this year is the ”ongoing” powder shortage. It is going to be worse this year then the last two previous years. I have spoken to executives from the three major powder manufacturers in the US. And it is bad, I am talking really bad. I am not trying to scare anyone. Or cause an arbitrage in the market. I am simply telling you what I have been told. No manufacturers are taking new customers in 14 and possibly 15…Rifle powder is virtually impossible to find.
    …The market has gotten soft on the 223 side. The supply created by Sandy Hook. Is estimated to dry up by mid year. And then expect to see prices creep back and availability to become sparse by late third quarter to early fourth quarter.
    The same issues of availability is going to be compounded due to the powder supply. The Load Assemble and Package (LAP) manufacturers are not going to have powder."

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    …The market has gotten soft on the 223 side. The supply created by Sandy Hook. Is estimated*to dry up by mid year.*And then expect to see prices creep back and availability to become sparse by late third quarter to early fourth quarter.

Those comments do not make sense. Am I missing something? Can someone explain it to me? Thanks moonpie for posting.... inquiring minds want to know.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I'm reading it as after Sandy Hook the 223/5.56 ammo vanished as hordes of people grabbed what they could get. The availability went to zero.
    The producers cranked up to meet the demand.
    The ammo is now everywhere.
    But the guy is saying powder is NOW the issue for producers.
    So loaded ammo production will now slow.
    Ammo is still selling briskly. Soon the available supply will dwindle as production slows due to powder bottlenecks.
    Ammo will get rare again. Hence more $$$.

Last edited:

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    These guys that write these articles kind of piss me off. I mean, are they trying to incite a frenzy? These are the exact articles that create the friggin shortages. They write the article and you have every Tom, Dick and Harry standing at Academy and Wal Mart every morning with all their cousins and ammo resellers buying up all the ammo. Then try and turn around and sell it at crazy prices, which some moron will pay.....creating the frenzy. REally.....I wish these guys would just chill out.

No offense to you MoonPie, you just posted the article........I know you didnt write it. My frustration lies with the people writing this stuff.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    I'm reading it as after Sandy Hook the 223/5.56 ammo vanished as hordes of people grabbed what they could get. The availability went to zero.
    The producers cranked up to meet the demand.
    The ammo is now everywhere.
    But the guy is saying powder is NOW the issue for producers.
    So loaded ammo prosecution will now slow.
    Ammo is still selling briskly. Soon the available supply will dwindle as production slows due to powder bottlenecks.
    Ammo will get rare again. Hence more $$$.

That makes sense, but that is not what the author of the article said. He said that the market of 233 was soft due to Sandy Hook. To me, a soft market means that demand does not put additional pressure on supply. That would result in ample supplies and retails being steady or even dropping.

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Ohio (But my heart is in Texas)
    I don't know if I believe that it's going to be an issue or not, but the fact is many people probably will, and the NBs will be gobbling it up while there are no limits, normal prices, and reasonable availability. So, if you are low on that caliber and want to be going to the range you may want to start buying a box or two as you can.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    ARs and ammo flying off the shelves....record numbers of firearms in citizens' hands....ammunition being stockpiled like never before. Do you think Libtards are bright enough to start feeling a little nervous about fanning the flames of Liberty?

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    What a bunch of BS. When you read an article like that you have to sit back and think about the situation from a logical standpoint.

Of course powder companies arent taking new CUSTOMERS, theyre not saying theyre not takjng new orders. They cant supply their current customers so why would they take on new customers? I havent had much of a problem getting powder personally. I put in my order and wait a couple months. Just order ahead and in large quantity so youre not pinched.

If ammo was still selling in record quantity cases of 223 wouldnt be below 400 bucks. Anybody who was caught with their pants down and needed to stock up on 223 has already done so now thay prices are back to prepanic levels. If another shortage happens prices will rise but it won't be to the height it got.

Articles like that crack me up. "I dont want to write an article that starts a panic but I'm going to do it anyway to get some hits on my website". Pure BS, just like the Russian ammo scare articles gping around.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    "The real issue this year is the ”ongoing” powder shortage. It is going to be worse this year then the last two previous years. I have spoken to executives from the three major powder manufacturers in the US.

I can't access the article, but can someone tell me if he offers any insight on WHY there is a powder shortage? If he doesn't explain why, then I am throwing the bullshit flag.

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    These guys that write these articles kind of piss me off. I mean, are they trying to incite a frenzy? These are the exact articles that create the friggin shortages. They write the article and you have every Tom, Dick and Harry standing at Academy and Wal Mart every morning with all their cousins and ammo resellers buying up all the ammo. Then try and turn around and sell it at crazy prices, which some moron will pay.....creating the frenzy. REally.....I wish these guys would just chill out.

No offense to you MoonPie, you just posted the article........I know you didnt write it. My frustration lies with the people writing this stuff.

+1, I can't help but wonder sometimes if these "articles" are written or published by certain manufacturers, retailers or producers that are trying to keep the good times rolling....

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom