• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmithandWesson69

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    I am thinking about getting my first 1911 and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Tisas 1911. From what I have read it is very well made and has good reviews at Buds Gun Shop and can be bought for $400-$600 depending on the model. Any input or other suggestions would be appreciated, I would like to stay under $650.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    I just picked up a tisas. Get one. You won't regret it. Feels better than an Ria in my opinion. EXCELLENT quality machining. Easy to upgrade. Only real downsides are the GI sights and the finish could be a bit better. There is a reason you can't find anyone who has a true gripe about the gun.

Tex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    DFW
    Never heard of the Tisas, but you could get a Rock Island as mentioned or a Ruger SR1911 for under $650. People seem to love the RIAs but I don't know if it's for the price or if they really are that much "bang for the buck." Every review I read about the SR1911 was positive so I picked up one last weekend and it is indeed a nice piece for the price. It's not my Kimber, but it's about half the price too with some nicer features in some cases, i.e. Novak 3-dot sights.

Heinz Bar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Spring Branch
    Academy has Citadel compact 1911s for $599. Don't know much about them. They have a compact Para for $699. I own a Para and love it. Run it wet and it will love you. Fiber front sight too for that price.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    I've read where some of the Tisas guns have frames that aren't consistent. One guy wanted to install Cylinder & Slide trigger kit, but the pin locations were off such that they wouldn't work. Others have no such issue. Then again, I've read of one guy who received a Caspian frame that wasn't machined right. But everything I've read about the RIA/Armsor guns is that they work great and their customer service is top notch. Heard not-so great stories about Tisas (guy sent his back w/o even shooting it because it wouldn't even dry cycle. Tisas claimed he had 'modified' it and sent it back to him unrepaired). Take those stories for what they're worth. But I've never spoken to someone that owned an RIA that griped about it.

qwiksdraw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Sachse, TX
    If you could get to a gun show or and LGS and actually hold and check out both the Tisas and RIA then you would find it easier to decide.

I only got to shoot as Tisas one time and liked everything about it. The same goes for RIA, shot one once and liked it too.

In the same price range, I own 2 MetroArms American Classic 1911s, a Gov't model (45 ACP) and a Commander (9MM). Yes I am a big fan of MetroArms.

stanjones

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    South Austin
    If you are going to spend up to $650, I would recommend saving up just another $100 and buy a second hand Kimber Custom II. I have seen them go for $750-$850. I love mine, its very well made and accurate as hell. I think the Custom II is overlooked a lot...seems like people generally suggest RIA. I have had two RIA's and they were both nice, well functioning guns and they are a good choice if you dont want to breach $500-$600. That being said, I didnt keep them. They just failed to excite me. You can even come across a Springfield every now and then in the $750-$850 range. I had a very nice Para-Ordnance P-12 compact double stack 1911 and it was very reliable. Those are well built guns (in Canada, I think) and tend to really drop in price when on the secondary market. Probably because they are made in Canada.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Academy has Citadel compact 1911s for $599. Don't know much about them. They have a compact Para for $699. I own a Para and love it. Run it wet and it will love you. Fiber front sight too for that price.

Citadel, from what I understand, is owned by Armscor - who also own Rock Island Armory. Not a bad pedigree.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    I just ran 200 rounds through my Tisas. Total so far through it is 600. No problems to date. My only honest complaint,like I said before, is the finish. Easy fix though. I'm not a huge fan of the grips it comes with either... But again. Easy fix. You can't beat it for it being under $425.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    Para Ordnance-1911 can be found around the 550-600 mark at almost any academy sports store. Also For an extra 100 buck you can get the Remington 1911 feels and shoots like the colt.

Does anyone else have a problem hitting the last post box with your screen name? Not to get off topic just wondering.

I use a Para compact 1911 for my console and carry gun. Goes bang every time and I can just throw it in my back pocket when I get out of the car.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    Does anyone else have a problem hitting the last post box with your screen name? Not to get off topic just wondering.

I use a Para compact 1911 for my console and carry gun. Goes bang every time and I can just throw it in my back pocket when I get out of the car.
    Not that I Know of, that a technical problem with the site, or just my name?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    haha, When I first made this S.N. I thought it was too long as well, but I worked with what the site would let me use. When I started cutting the Ar500 targets that's what we named em : Americantargets. the date was just extra. I hope to change the name really soon, Something about it doesn't ring, I like the American part but everything else needs to go. We'll see how it all turns out.

Top Bottom