Join TexasGunTalk

Thinking about a 1911

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by SmithandWesson69, Sep 12, 2013.

1. SmithandWesson69

SmithandWesson69 New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    I am thinking about getting my first 1911 and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Tisas 1911. From what I have read it is very well made and has good reviews at Buds Gun Shop and can be bought for $400-$600 depending on the model. Any input or other suggestions would be appreciated, I would like to stay under $650.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

2. kyletxria1911a1

kyletxria1911a1 TGT Addict

May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    For that kind money i vote ria or springer.

3. Sugar Land

Sugar Land TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    And he would know..

4. AngeliaH

AngeliaH Life's Peachy TGT Supporter

Aug 5, 2012
    Central Texas
    I bought a RIA. Love it.

5. T-FAST

T-FAST Well-Known

Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I am not a 1911 fan, but for that price range I would get a new Rock Island Armory or maybe a used Springfield or Smith and Wesson etc...

6. Kyle

Kyle Needs More Cowbell! TGT Supporter

Feb 24, 2011
    Hill Country
    I just picked up a tisas. Get one. You won't regret it. Feels better than an Ria in my opinion. EXCELLENT quality machining. Easy to upgrade. Only real downsides are the GI sights and the finish could be a bit better. There is a reason you can't find anyone who has a true gripe about the gun.

7. Tex

Tex New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    DFW
    Never heard of the Tisas, but you could get a Rock Island as mentioned or a Ruger SR1911 for under $650. People seem to love the RIAs but I don't know if it's for the price or if they really are that much "bang for the buck." Every review I read about the SR1911 was positive so I picked up one last weekend and it is indeed a nice piece for the price. It's not my Kimber, but it's about half the price too with some nicer features in some cases, i.e. Novak 3-dot sights.

8. Heinz Bar

Heinz Bar Active Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Spring Branch
    Academy has Citadel compact 1911s for $599. Don't know much about them. They have a compact Para for $699. I own a Para and love it. Run it wet and it will love you. Fiber front sight too for that price.

9. XinTX

XinTX Well-Known

Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    I've read where some of the Tisas guns have frames that aren't consistent. One guy wanted to install Cylinder & Slide trigger kit, but the pin locations were off such that they wouldn't work. Others have no such issue. Then again, I've read of one guy who received a Caspian frame that wasn't machined right. But everything I've read about the RIA/Armsor guns is that they work great and their customer service is top notch. Heard not-so great stories about Tisas (guy sent his back w/o even shooting it because it wouldn't even dry cycle. Tisas claimed he had 'modified' it and sent it back to him unrepaired). Take those stories for what they're worth. But I've never spoken to someone that owned an RIA that griped about it.

10. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw Active Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Sachse, TX
    If you could get to a gun show or and LGS and actually hold and check out both the Tisas and RIA then you would find it easier to decide.

I only got to shoot as Tisas one time and liked everything about it. The same goes for RIA, shot one once and liked it too.

In the same price range, I own 2 MetroArms American Classic 1911s, a Gov't model (45 ACP) and a Commander (9MM). Yes I am a big fan of MetroArms.