• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tact

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2014
    Presidio
    I’m a big fan of the Scalarworks mounts. They are certainly more than expensive than a shitty PA mount but well worth it. If you are just a plinker then I guess the AeroPrecision mount would work.
    Military Camp

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    I’m a big fan of the Scalarworks mounts. They are certainly more than expensive than a shitty PA mount but well worth it. If you are just a plinker then I guess the AeroPrecision mount would work.
    Considering this one: https://scalarworks.com/shop/quick-detach-mounts/leap-07/

But don't know enough to know if it'll work. It does have the 34mm tube option - which I selected. But the LPVO is 1.435" vertical height from rail(I think) and the mount I'm looking at is 1.93" vertical center(again - I think). But I don't have a clue as to if that will work much less if it's what I want.

ETA: Regardless.... it's 5-8 months backordered.... search is on going.

Last edited:

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Well chit... I was fixing to place the order for this: https://www.opticsplanet.com/trijicon-credo-1-8x28mm-ffp-riflescope.html

But I was looking for information on correct scope dimensions when I saw:
    Adjustment Type: Mil Rad Adjustment Click Value: 0.1 Mil Rad

I was looking for adjustment type: MOA - I thought. One of the primary reasons I selected this LVPO was the 1-8 magnification capabilities. I'm not sure but I don't think there's a lot of 1-8 LPVO's out there. And of the ones that are how many have MOA adjustments? I dunno. Being as I'm not used to either is it that big of difference to change my selection back to a 1-6 LPVO?

Last edited:

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    O'tay... did some self-education on milrad vs moa. What I think I know is: MOA is more granular and at greater distances offers a finer form of adjusting over the milrad method. Of course that comment is conditional based on all else being equal. milrad single click adjustment of .1 and MOA single click adjustment of 1/4". AND with both rectile and turrent having the same angular measures.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    O'tay... did some self-education on milrad vs moa. What I think I know is: MOA is more granular and at greater distances offers a finer form of adjusting over the milrad method. Of course that comment is conditional based on all else being equal. milrad single click adjustment of .1 and MOA single click adjustment of 1/4". AND with both rectile and turrent having the same angular measures.
    There are STUPID scopes out there that offer a MOA reticle and a MIL turret and vise versa. Dumb! Watch out for those.

Shoot Mil if you like metrics. I shoot MOA because I'm American. 1 MIL = 3.44 MOA so the conversion isn't that complicated.

My long range scope has 1/8MOA adjustment on the turrets. So, some scopes offer finer tuning if your twisting knobs.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    There are STUPID scopes out there that offer a MOA reticle and a MIL turret and vise versa. Dumb! Watch out for those.

Shoot Mil if you like metrics. I shoot MOA because I'm American. 1 MIL = 3.44 MOA so the conversion isn't that complicated.

My long range scope has 1/8MOA adjustment on the turrets. So, some scopes offer finer tuning if your twisting knobs.
    Dirty moa rectile/mil turrent sob's! Yup been advised on that. 1/8 MOA adj???? Must'a paid at least 4-500 bucks for that one!!!! LOL What focal plane does it use? the LPVO I'm looking at are all 1st focal plane.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    IMO, the difference between .1mil and .25moa is negligible since other factors will come in to play at distances where it might start to matter that require slight hold offs anyways.

MOA is easier generally for those who grew up shooting scopes with 1/4” clicks. More natural to run through the numbers.

MIL is ok. Biggest pro in my opinion is an adjustment of 1.7mil is 17 clicks. Instead of where a similar adjustment for moa would be 4.25moa is 17 clicks. Not really hard math by any means, but mil removes the opportunity for error.

This mostly applies if you have your drops written down for various distances and wind. Overall I don’t think it’s much difference and since I don’t think we’ll in commiemeters any other advantage of mil is lost on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dirty moa rectile/mil turrent sob's! Yup been advised on that. 1/8 MOA adj???? Must'a paid at least 4-500 bucks for that one!!!! LOL What focal plane does it use? the LPVO I'm looking at are all 1st focal plane.
    All my scopes are FFP. I wouldn't shoot any other way. It's what I like...

My 1/8 scope isn't a LPVO though.

I really enjoyed my Sig tango4 1-4x24 though. Sweet scope. It had an illuminated horseshoe. At 1 power... it worked just like a red dot. Then I could crank it to 4 power and reach out to 600yrds easy.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    What are your intentions for the scope?
    Good question!

Not necessarily in order of importance:
    1.) To ensure the abilities of the rifle are not limited by my choice in optics.
    2.) To make possible any shot that one may reasonably expect to encounter.
    3.) To assist in compensating for somewhat limited eyesight.
    4.) To not have buyers remorse by opting for a lesser quality, less capable optics.
    5.) Somewhat match quality of optics with quality of rifle

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Good question!

Not necessarily in order of importance:
    1.) To ensure the abilities of the rifle are not limited by my choice in optics.
    2.) To make possible any shot that one may reasonably expect to encounter.
    3.) To assist in compensating for somewhat limited eyesight.
    4.) To not have buyers remorse by opting for a lesser quality, less capable optics.
    5.) Somewhat match quality of optics with quality of rifle

What do you expect to encounter?

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    What do you expect to encounter?
    Any shot falls within the capabilities of the rife. If not that answer then why have those capabilities to begin with? Obviously, I believe, most folks would anticipate a distance of =< 100 yds. But I do not want to be limited to that range. Preferably I would want any limitation I should encounter be centered around the shooter and not my equipment.

Last edited:

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anything shot falls within the capabilities of the rife. If not that answer then why have those capabilities to begin with? Obviously, I believe, most folks would anticipate a distance of =< 100 yds. But I do not want to be limited to that range. Preferably I would want any limitation I should encounter be centered around the shooter and not my equipment.
    Then I would add an illuminated reticle. You want night performance?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Use to be the rule of thumb was to spend about twice on the optics what you spent on the rifle. But, that can be quite different now, since optics have come a long ways in the past ten to fifteen years and gotten better at a lower price point. I would suggest close to the price of the rifle, maybe, and stick with a reputable brand of scope or red dot optic.

Unless the AR is primarily set up for longer distance target shooting or for varmints, or longer range hunting, even a 1 to 4, or 2 to 7, or even a 3 to 9 power scope will have a very decent range on a man sized target. Lots of competition shooters, will shoot the AR at over 600 yards with open sights.

If you are expecting a night time encounter of possibly using the rifle, a red dot optic, or a scope with an illuminated reticle, or maybe even consider adding a dedicated weapon light to the rifle.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    TRijicon AccuPower 1-8x28 Riflescope MOA Segmented-Circle Crosshair w/ Red LED
    34mm Tube, Black, 1900026

Reticle: Illuminated Red RS27-C-1900026 MOA Segmented Circle Crosshair
    Tube Diameter: 34 mm
    Reticle Focal Plane: First Focal Plane (FFP)
    Color: BlackWeight: 25 oz, 708 g
    Illumination Type: LED
    Illumination Color: Red
    Adjustment Type: MOA
    Adjustment Click Value: 0.25 MOA
    Finish: Matte
    Code: TJ-RS-1828-1828-1900026

Optics - $1,239.99
    LaRue AR15 5.56 - $1,080.00

Around 13% more in optics than rifle. Unless one was to use retail price for optics $1,799.00 in which case I'd have 60% more in optics than rifle.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom