• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Such as it is and what there is of it. Picked it up yesterday. LaRue Lower.jpg LaRue Lower 2.jpg

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    TRijicon AccuPower 1-8x28 Riflescope MOA Segmented-Circle Crosshair w/ Red LED
    34mm Tube, Black, 1900026

Reticle: Illuminated Red RS27-C-1900026 MOA Segmented Circle Crosshair
    Tube Diameter: 34 mm
    Reticle Focal Plane: First Focal Plane (FFP)
    Color: BlackWeight: 25 oz, 708 g
    Illumination Type: LED
    Illumination Color: Red
    Adjustment Type: MOA
    Adjustment Click Value: 0.25 MOA
    Finish: Matte
    Code: TJ-RS-1828-1828-1900026

Optics - $1,239.99
    LaRue AR15 5.56 - $1,080.00

Around 13% more in optics than rifle. Unless one was to use retail price for optics $1,799.00 in which case I'd have 60% more in optics than rifle.
    If I was spending that much on optics, I would go ahead and make the jump to the NightForce.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    If I was spending that much on optics, I would go ahead and make the jump to the NightForce.
    I found the one I want!

Schmidt Bender 1-8x24 PM II ShortDot Dual CC MDR-T6 1cm cw ST LT MTC / ST LT ZC Riflescope 683-811-43E-K1-H

But alas @ ~$5k tiz a bit outta my budget range. But man what a sweetie! And then I run across this....

1608723257813.png

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    So who is this Kyle Defoor guy and what does he know about optics? :green: He is fond of Milrad vs MOA but I think that's simply because he has the most experience with MilRad. I think that video was done in 2018 and at that time Vortex did not have the Razor HD Gen III on the market - I don't think. So he compared the Gen II(not the E model) to the Nightforce Atacr. His reason for liking the Atacr better were removed with the introduction of the Razor HD. In the video he said that the Vortex Gen II was the best value on the market - in his opinion. He makes a strong argument for the Atacr but... at the time he didn't have the Razor HD Gen III to compare to. There's right at 1K difference between the two and other than bragging rights I'm having trouble understanding why the Atacr would be the better choice between the two when comparing feature for feature.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    It looks like I'm the only one that can post on this thread! :roflfunny::roflfunny::roflfunny:as many as I'm posting in a row but new info just keeps rolling in...

Shipped yesterday!

Order Summary:
    Subtotal$809.99
    Shipping$17.00
    Total$895.20
    Shipping Method:
    UPS / USPS - Shipping
    Payment Method:
    Visa
    Shipping (FFL Pickup):
    INNOVATION EMS
    9901 HUMMINGBIRD ST
    LA PORTE, Texas, 77571
    United States
    T: (832) 472-6925

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It looks like I'm the only one that can post on this thread! :roflfunny::roflfunny::roflfunny:as many as I'm posting in a row but new info just keeps rolling in...

Shipped yesterday!

Order Summary:
    Subtotal$809.99
    Shipping$17.00
    Total$895.20
    Shipping Method:
    UPS / USPS - Shipping
    Payment Method:
    Visa
    Shipping (FFL Pickup):
    INNOVATION EMS
    9901 HUMMINGBIRD ST
    LA PORTE, Texas, 77571
    United States
    T: (832) 472-6925
    Did you buy your damn scope yet?

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So who is this Kyle Defoor guy and what does he know about optics? :green: He is fond of Milrad vs MOA but I think that's simply because he has the most experience with MilRad. I think that video was done in 2018 and at that time Vortex did not have the Razor HD Gen III on the market - I don't think. So he compared the Gen II(not the E model) to the Nightforce Atacr. His reason for liking the Atacr better were removed with the introduction of the Razor HD. In the video he said that the Vortex Gen II was the best value on the market - in his opinion. He makes a strong argument for the Atacr but... at the time he didn't have the Razor HD Gen III to compare to. There's right at 1K difference between the two and other than bragging rights I'm having trouble understanding why the Atacr would be the better choice between the two when comparing feature for feature.
    I wouldn't get too lost in the mil vs moa debate with a scope like that. Now if you were going to be shooting 1,000yrds... yeah ok. But your probably going to be using the BDC in your reticle? I'd stick with moa... it'll be quicker for your mind to get on board calculating drop.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    is that your Larue upper?
    Sadly it is not. It's the PSA AR15 that I ordered because the LaRue isn't expected to ship until sometime around May/June

Did you buy your damn scope yet?
    No I haven't yet but unless something really changes it looks like I am going to go with the Vortex Razor HD Gen III. Too many good reviews and too many features to ignore at the price point of 2K.

I wouldn't get too lost in the mil vs moa debate with a scope like that. Now if you were going to be shooting 1,000yrds... yeah ok. But your probably going to be using the BDC in your reticle? I'd stick with moa... it'll be quicker for your mind to get on board calculating drop.

Yeah, I'm not getting lost in it and plan on MOA for the simple reason you stated. I know inches and feet and if I went MilRad I would mentally have to do the conversion until such a time as MilRad became second nature and that would most likely be NEVER!

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sadly it is not. It's the PSA AR15 that I ordered because the LaRue isn't expected to ship until sometime around May/June

No I haven't yet but unless something really changes it looks like I am going to go with the Vortex Razor HD Gen III. Too many good reviews and too many features to ignore at the price point of 2K.

Yeah, I'm not getting lost in it and plan on MOA for the simple reason you stated. I know inches and feet and if I went MilRad I would mentally have to do the conversion until such a time as MilRad became second nature and that would most likely be NEVER!
    I'm pretty confidant your going to love that scope.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    ATACR? Did you rob a bank? I meant the NX8.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Ok... so I'm waiting for things to get here PSA AR15 this week. Vortex Razor HD Gen III next year... So I was thinking about how to sight'em in once I got them. Ran across the MPBR technique and it sounds good. But... I remember a conversation on here not long ago about bullet trajectory and how the bullet does not inherently "rise" on the trajectory path but is constantly falling from the time it leaves the barrel to the time it hits/misses the target. Sooo... In the text of this article read:

Link to entire article: https://thenewrifleman.com/maximum-bullet-flight-getting-the-most-out-of-ar15-zero/

" With a 50 yard zero in a 20-inch rifle, shooting XM193, you can expect a bullet apex (aka maximum ordinate) of flight to be close to 2 inches (by my calculations) and then it falls back to cross your line of sight again at 225 yards."

Supported by this drawing...

1609189781426.png

If I find/read something that doesn't ring true in an article I tend to discount the entire article and continue my search for valid information. So am I misunderstanding what's being said here?

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Ok... so I'm waiting for things to get here PSA AR15 this week. Vortex Razor HD Gen III next year... So I was thinking about how to sight'em in once I got them. Ran across the MPBR technique and it sounds good. But... I remember a conversation on here not long ago about bullet trajectory and how the bullet does not inherently "rise" on the trajectory path but is constantly falling from the time it leaves the barrel to the time it hits/misses the target. Sooo... In the text of this article read:

Link to entire article: https://thenewrifleman.com/maximum-bullet-flight-getting-the-most-out-of-ar15-zero/

" With a 50 yard zero in a 20-inch rifle, shooting XM193, you can expect a bullet apex (aka maximum ordinate) of flight to be close to 2 inches (by my calculations) and then it falls back to cross your line of sight again at 225 yards."

Supported by this drawing...

View attachment 238450

If I find/read something that doesn't ring true in an article I tend to discount the entire article and continue my search for valid information. So am I misunderstanding what's being said here?
    That is referred to as Maximum point blank range. It varies greatly from one rifle to the next. Best to find out on the range what yours is exactly, but I'd say a 50 yard zero for 5.56 is a good starting point.

ETA: The projectile will be traveling up to meet your line of sight. Your zero. The faster the projectile and the closer the range for zero will cause it to exceed your line of sight and travel above it for a certain distance until it slows down enough to fall back into your line of sight.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom