• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flgfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2020
    The Woodlands
    On your article, your point of aim with your optic and the place the muzzle is pointing are not the same. The bullet is worked on by gravity, so you need it aimed higher than your point of aim. Also take into consideration the height of the optic over the bore.

I like to zero mine at 36. Basically means all rounds hit in an area the diameter of a CD out to 300... means I don’t have to worry about holdovers much on basically anything I shoot at. I’m not aiming to shoot the wings off a fly with my AR, generally.

Lots of people like the 50/200 zero as well.
    Venture Surplus ad

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Ok... so I'm waiting for things to get here PSA AR15 this week. Vortex Razor HD Gen III next year... So I was thinking about how to sight'em in once I got them. Ran across the MPBR technique and it sounds good. But... I remember a conversation on here not long ago about bullet trajectory and how the bullet does not inherently "rise" on the trajectory path but is constantly falling from the time it leaves the barrel to the time it hits/misses the target. Sooo... In the text of this article read:

Link to entire article: https://thenewrifleman.com/maximum-bullet-flight-getting-the-most-out-of-ar15-zero/

" With a 50 yard zero in a 20-inch rifle, shooting XM193, you can expect a bullet apex (aka maximum ordinate) of flight to be close to 2 inches (by my calculations) and then it falls back to cross your line of sight again at 225 yards."

Supported by this drawing...

View attachment 238450

If I find/read something that doesn't ring true in an article I tend to discount the entire article and continue my search for valid information. So am I misunderstanding what's being said here?

The drawing is misleading in that it shows the bullet "rising" from a level barrel, which does not happen.

All else is correct, but the drawing should be modified to show the barrel in line with the initial bullet path of travel (which is not level, or horizontal, assuming the target is at the same elevation as the rifle) but rather pointed up, in order to induce an arc of travel that crosses the line of sight at two points.

It's difficult to accurately pictorially portray a 300 yard range on a 8.5" wide sheet of paper or computer screen. It's squeezed in the space of a few inches which causes artists to take liberties with the bullet path out of the rifle barrel. I don't know why they seldom think to angle the rifle barrel, which is true to life on a level range.

The only way to make a bullet rise is to fire it at an angle above horizontal. The bullet "rising" and "traveling up through the line of sight" are statements relative only to the line of sight, e.g. if the barrel is pointed level, or at some angle down from level/horizontal, the bullet will not travel up relative to the planet, but will travel "up" relative to the line of sight which will be at a greater down angle than the barrel and bullet path of travel.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I also like the Century 308, mine is a customized (HK 91) Cetme ..the only downside is the brass is harder to reload due to fluted chamber. Stopping power starts at the .45 acp for semi auto handguns (affordable) and goes down from there. For a one gun house, I would go with a 308 rifle, or a pump shotgun. because I hunt way more than I "defend". The BEST gun is the one with which you are comfortable with and train with often.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    aspbergers-free version of the drawing

ar_trajectory.jpg

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Well fuk.... I ordered a PSA AR15 because my LaRue isn't getting built until May/June. So I find out today that my PSA AR15 is out for delievery to my FFL - TODAY! And then... I get an email from LaRue. My assembled AR15 Upper shipped - TODAY! Guess a guy can't have too many AR15's - I guess. But still don't know when the Vortex HD Razor Gen III will ship. I ordered it from BassPro last Satuday. They sent me an email saying it will ship betwee 1/7 and 1/13. Then Monday I get an email saying the transaction did not complete - meaning they dropped the ball on the credit card transaction. Even though I printed out receipt - that was emailed to me. So I call BassPro and get all'a that straightend out but now am pretty clueless as to when to actually expect to receive it. I suppose I could order another LPVO - that should ensure that the Vortex would ship tomorrow!

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Well fuk.... I ordered a PSA AR15 because my LaRue isn't getting built until May/June. So I find out today that my PSA AR15 is out for delievery to my FFL - TODAY! And then... I get an email from LaRue. My assembled AR15 Upper shipped - TODAY! Guess a guy can't have too many AR15's - I guess. But still don't know when the Vortex HD Razor Gen III will ship. I ordered it from BassPro last Satuday. They sent me an email saying it will ship betwee 1/7 and 1/13. Then Monday I get an email saying the transaction did not complete - meaning they dropped the ball on the credit card transaction. Even though I printed out receipt - that was emailed to me. So I call BassPro and get all'a that straightend out but now am pretty clueless as to when to actually expect to receive it. I suppose I could order another LPVO - that should ensure that the Vortex would ship tomorrow!
    You could go ahead and order this:
    Amazon product ASIN B079X566RF
    Then your other one would show up tomorrow.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Welp... The PSA AR15 has landed. Went and picked it up from the FFL ~6:30am. 20201231_075942[1].jpg

I ordered some rear sights ended up having to tap them on with a plastic head hammer. No way they'd just slide on. Probably end up taking them off but it's on for now.

20201231_080926[1].jpg

I ordered a vertical handle for it but must'a got the wrong style because I don't see any way this will attached to the hand guard I have. Looks more like it goes on a Picatinny rail.

Nuther question... I'm cross-eye dominate. Does this mean I need to learn to shoot left handed. Don't see anyway around it myself. Don't reckon it's that big'a deal as I'm not used to shooting a rifle left nor right handed. Ya' love what ya' know. Learned to play guitar left handed so I reckon shooting a rifle left handed ain't no big o'l deal!

If I learn to shoot left handed won't need a vertical grip. So there's that!

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Welp... The PSA AR15 has landed. Went and picked it up from the FFL ~6:30am. View attachment 238734

I ordered some rear sights ended up having to tap them on with a plastic head hammer. No way they'd just slide on. Probably end up taking them off but it's on for now.

View attachment 238735

I ordered a vertical handle for it but must'a got the wrong style because I don't see any way this will attached to the hand guard I have. Looks more like it goes on a Picatinny rail.

Nuther question... I'm cross-eye dominate. Does this mean I need to learn to shoot left handed. Don't see anyway around it myself. Don't reckon it's that big'a deal as I'm not used to shooting a rifle left nor right handed. Ya' love what ya' know. Learned to play guitar left handed so I reckon shooting a rifle left handed ain't no big o'l deal!

If I learn to shoot left handed won't need a vertical grip. So there's that!
    You need a piece of rail for your handgaurd to mount a vertical grip. All those slots on the handguard are called MLOK.
    Amazon product ASIN B00NTZ5738

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    On a positive, and perhaps timely, note the Vortex Razor HD Gen III arrived today. Additionally I picked up a section of rail and got the vertical grip mounted. Now all I gotta do is get some more rail sections for: Level III rotating laser light, GI approved alarm clock, collapsing umbrella, laser range finder and caster equipped collapsing tri-pod. If room permits got my eye on a solar powered AM/FM radio!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom