Thinking about a rifle purchase

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
Jul 14, 2020
USA
Got it 2 days early.... PSA AR15 came in a cardboard box. LaRue came...

20210214_063927.jpg 20210214_064050.jpg
What it did not come with was instruction. Nothing internet and Rumble could not cure.

20210214_132318.jpg
As you can see... got the Vortex moved over as well!
Side by side there is significant differences in build quality between the PSA and the LaRue. That is not to say the PSA is bad. But it ain't no LaRue. Plus... the LaRue just looks badass!

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
Jul 14, 2020
USA
Got a Pelican V700 hard case for the LaRue and a Plano for the PSA. Just like the PSA ain't no LaRue the Plano ain't no Pelican but it's actually pretty good. Only has 4 latches where the Pelican has 6. The Pelican is easier to unlatch and open. I've cut the foam for the LaRue and some magazines. Still gotta clean the cuts up some but it works. Next will be cutting the foam for the Plano/PSA.

This is all the parts/pieces of the LaRue once I got everthing unpacked. The lower I had picked up a couple of months ago.

20210214_064235 by Doug Wei, on Flickr

This was when I was installing the Vortex Razor. 1st I had to get the gun level, which I did.

20210214_111406 by Doug Wei, on Flickr

The LaRue tucked away in in it's crib....

20210225_142904 by Doug Wei, on Flickr

And the PSA tucked away as well....
The Plano came with pluck apart foam so it's not as form fitting as the Pelican but it doesn't move a smidgen.

20210225_142954
by Doug Wei, on Flickr

ETA: Weather permitting I'll be pulling the trigger on both of them making noise and pokin' holes tomorrow!

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
Jul 14, 2020
USA
FNG here and I really don't understand the question. The eye piece is ~even with the back of the lower. When I pull the gun up and sight through the scope eye relief seems spot on. But for sure it could be mounted improperly.

Dawico

Uncoiled
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2009
Lampasas, Texas
FNG here and I really don't understand the question. The eye piece is ~even with the back of the lower. When I pull the gun up and sight through the scope eye relief seems spot on. But for sure it could be mounted improperly.
He's saying it looks really high above the rifle which it does.

But if you have a good cheek weld run with it.

KJQ6945

Jul 31, 2020
Palestine
Looks good, but that is a very tall mount for that set up.
Usually you would only use a high mount like that if you had a large objective lens, so it would still mount level.

zackmars

Well-Known
Nov 4, 2015
Texas
High mounts like that with red dots and LVPO's are coming into vouge recently as it helps when shooting with night vision. Its not a big deal, just keep in mind your hold over up close

CodyK

Sep 5, 2019
Houston
Helps to mount a little high on a rifle meant for longer distance so you don’t run out of adjustment. That’s what I’ve been told anyway. All my rifles are set up to shoot close to midrange, so I set it as close to the bore as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2009
Lampasas, Texas
Helps to mount a little high on a rifle meant for longer distance so you don’t run out of adjustment. That’s what I’ve been told anyway. All my rifles are set up to shoot close to midrange, so I set it as close to the bore as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is false information.

How high you mount the scope has no affect on the scope's internal adjustment.

Maybe there was some misunderstanding though. If you have a large bell on your scope and have say a 20 MOA rail and a 20 MOA mount then you will need a higher mount so the bell doesn't hit the rail/ barrel.

Also these guys going for 3 mile hits mount scopes very high as with their 80+ MOA mounts the barrel of the rifle could be in view through the scope.

Top Bottom