Thinking about a rifle purchase

satx78247

TGT Addict
Jun 23, 2014
And also with a 22lr & 22wmr?
Txhillbilly,

LOTS of poachers have killed MANY deer with a suppressed .22 over the years BT it's hardly "hunting".

Truth is that WT are just NOT that hard to kill. - My cousin, Sterling, killed a crippled spike buck some years ago with a .36 caliber BP "reissue" Colt's 1851 revolver, shooting from a rocking chair on his back porch.
(Sterling called me & asked if I wanted half of a young buck, after he "put it out of its misery".)

yours, satx

Txhillbilly

Aug 2, 2008
North Texas
For a quick, compact defensive style weapon that's easy to conceal, the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 is hard to beat. I wouldn't own a 9mm weapon, just never liked the cartridge.
But I do like the 40 S&W.
I've got several handgun's in 40 S&W as well as a Sub 2k and Ruger PC Carbine. The carbines have no problem reaching out past 100 yards accurately. I also load sub-sonic loads for mine when I want to be quiet with my suppressor.

If you want a carbine with a little more punching power Hi-Point makes one in 10mm or you can find the old Ruger 44 magnum carbines on the used market.

Txhillbilly

Aug 2, 2008
North Texas
Txhillbilly,

LOTS of poachers have killed MANY deer with a suppressed .22 over the years BT it's hardly "hunting".

Truth is that WT are just NOT that hard to kill. - My cousin, Sterling, killed a crippled spike buck some years ago with a .36 caliber BP "reissue" Colt's 1851 revolver, shooting from a rocking chair on his back porch.
(Sterling called me & asked if I wanted half of a young buck, after he "put it out of its misery".)

yours, satx
Oh I know that, and I'm not promoting Poaching. I was just stating a fact that deer aren't hard to kill.

Axxe55

Trophy Husband. Just Ask My Wife!
Dec 15, 2019
Somewhere....In Texas!
For a quick, compact defensive style weapon that's easy to conceal, the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 is hard to beat. I wouldn't own a 9mm weapon, just never liked the cartridge.
But I do like the 40 S&W.
I've got several handgun's in 40 S&W as well as a Sub 2k and Ruger PC Carbine. The carbines have no problem reaching out past 100 yards accurately. I also load sub-sonic loads for mine when I want to be quiet with my suppressor.

If you want a carbine with a little more punching power Hi-Point makes one in 10mm or you can find the old Ruger 44 magnum carbines on the used market.
And if you were to accidentally leave the KelTec at my house the next time you visit, I would be more than happy to give it a good home!

Seriously, shooting this KelTec in 40 caliber is just a fun gun to shoot. I hadn't really considered getting a pistol caliber carbine until shooting this one. I have no idea as to current pricing, but some months back they were very reasonable in pricing.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
Jul 14, 2020
USA
Whatever ammo and gun with the same numbers on the box you can find at this point.
Yeah... I hear you but... I'm actually seeing 7.62, 5.56, 223 in Academy on a fairly regular basis. 6.5 isn't even on their endangered species list and is still located in the hunting department. That said... I haven't paid particular attention to grain/case material of those rounds but they are available - for now.

ETA: Dang y'all gave me a ton of options to look at. Right now the AR-10 and PRT-91 and PRT-32 are looking real interesting. Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

Top Bottom