• ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I only skimmed 8 pages so maybe this was covered and I missed it...

How - the hell - does one have 2000 posts on a firearm forum and not own a rifle? I'm closer to the opposite, 2000 rifles before my first post on a forum.

I've only purchased 4, I think, since I've been here.
    I owned several prior (still have) , and not really in to shooting long guns anymore.

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth
    OP, for the record, I'll agree with some previous postings - an AR-15 platform in 5.56 will not be a mistake. I love AK's too, but you give up some modularity, optics options, and accuracy (none of which are critical for defensive engagements under 100 yards). Get an AR and learn to operate it in the dark. Beware the man with only one rifle, he probably knows how to use it.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ...Trying to think of a scenario where I'd need one and haven't really come up with anything. ...
    What say you'uns?

I’ll offer up some contrary advice: if you can’t figure out a need for a long gun, don’t buy one. Put your money into really good training, accessories, gear, and ammunition for your primary weapon. Join a competitive discipline and master it.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    I only skimmed 8 pages so maybe this was covered and I missed it...

How - the hell - does one have 2000 posts on a firearm forum and not own a rifle? I'm closer to the opposite, 2000 rifles before my first post on a forum.
    AU CONTRAIRE! Proud owner of a Winchester Model 61 - That hasn't been fired in over 50 years. There are reasons "why" and they're personal so you'll likely never know. But if you delve into my previous post the answer is there for you!

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I am not a fan of the mini series of rifles, expensive, and broken parts mean your gun has to go back to ruger for repair, and my experience with ruger firearms has not exactly been good

For the price l am a huge fan of LaRue's ultimate upper kits. For about 800 you get everything but the stripped lower, your choice of caliber and barrel length

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I am not a fan of the mini series of rifles, expensive, and broken parts mean your gun has to go back to ruger for repair

For the price l am a huge fan of LaRue's ultimate upper kits. For about 800 you get everything but the stripped lower, your choice of caliber and barrel length

Actually, the Mini 14 and the Mini 30 are pretty solid rifles, and well made. But the AR is going to offer lighter weight, and much more versatility in being able to configure it for various purposes. Plus with the AR, you can easily switch to different calibers with just a different upper.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The Ruger Mini-14’s svck arse.
    You might hit the ground with one if you drop it.
    They are way overpriced for what you get.
    Just about any AR15 will outshoot a Mini.
    The SKS is a better deal but even they have reached nosebleed prices.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Before I joined the forum, I didn't have much in the way of rifles either. A 788 bolt action and a 10/22 :)
    Even after joining here, all my rifles are bolt-action. Been meaning to get a 10-22, but I keep putting it off for trivial things like groceries and auto maintenance.....

I'm going against the grain here....but, I recommend a bolt-action or lever-action rifle for a first rifle. The rifles and ammo can be easier to find than most AR & AK calibers these days. And, for the OP's stated purposes, a lever-action .30-30 or .35 Remington will check the boxes. I've even seen a few bolt-action rifles in .350 Legend with plenty of ammo on the next shelf. If you want smaller, a lever-action rifle in .22 Magnum is hard to beat. Also, if the political winds blow foul, these guns will attract less attention in the short term than the semiauto rifles....a sad thing that must be considered.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Every Mini I’ve owned(4 total) ran great WITH FACTORY (aka expensive) mags.
    Accuracy was abysmal with all of them.
    Couple of them threw patterns. Not groups.
    Do not FO.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Moon, no one has ever supported an aftermarket mag that works well. Yup, oem mags are too much. I only ran brass ammo and oem mags. I know...I know.

Accuracy was alright as long as I didn’t shoot too fast. My first mini dispatched a lot of pest.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I've been hit and miss with the Mini 14. Owned 3. Well one was actually a mini-30 and it was picky with Steel case ammo, but was accurate. My SKS and AK are not not picky at all and probably more accurate IMO. I had a older 70's model mini 14 and it was pretty awful in grouping. Then I bought a GB series Mini-14 and it shot great, but my friend has it now and is still shooting pigs with it. No more minis for me. No matter how much I tried to like them there are just many better options in that price range.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Every Mini I’ve owned(4 total) ran great WITH FACTORY (aka expensive) mags.
    Accuracy was abysmal with all of them.
    Couple of them threw patterns. Not groups.
    Do not FO.
    Moon, no one has ever supported an aftermarket mag that works well. Yup, oem mags are too much. I only ran brass ammo and oem mags. I know...I know.

Accuracy was alright as long as I didn’t shoot too fast. My first mini dispatched a lot of pest.

From my understanding, much of the accuracy, or lack thereof, is attributed to what series of Mini they are. And some as Moonpie said, you couldn't hit the ground if you dropped it. But most were what I term, "minute of man" accurate!

The magazine issue has been long standing with the Mini. Factory mags are the best to use with them.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I've been hit and miss with the Mini 14. Owned 3. Well one was actually a mini-30 and it was picky with Steel case ammo, but was accurate. My SKS and AK are not not picky at all and probably more accurate IMO. I had a older 70's model mini 14 and it was pretty awful in grouping. Then I bought a GB series Mini-14 and it shoots great, but my friend has it now and is still shooting pigs with it. No more minis for me. No matter how much I tried to like them there are just many better options in that price range.
    Oh absolutely. The one I have now simply brings me lots of memories. I’d still hunt pig or pest with it. Indeed there’s better now. Been better for a long time.

It still has a place when my sks and ak’s weigh more.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    From my understanding, much of the accuracy, or lack thereof, is attributed to what series of Mini they are. And some as Moonpie said, you couldn't hit the ground if you dropped it. But most were what I term, "minute of man" accurate!

The magazine issue has been long standing with the Mini. Factory mags are the best to use with them.
    I had one that was a pos but probably just needed a new extractor.

My first one and the one I have now are from 1993. Both shot well enough and no feeding issues.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    The two issues with mini accuracy is partly due to the thin early barrels, and the lack of consistent tourqe on the gas system. The M1 style of stock lockup is also working against you.

Even then, you aren't any better than a cheaper AR

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    The two issues with mini accuracy is partly due to the thin early barrels, and the lack of consistent tourqe on the gas system. The M1 style of stock lockup is also working against you.

Even then, you aren't any better than a cheaper AR

True. There are quite a few doodads one can buy, and tricks to make the Mini decently accurate, and if a person really is into and likes the Mini, that might be the route to go to get it accurate.

But out of the box, AR's seem to have much better reputation for being decently accurate, without having to do anything to it.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robert Harrell
    Top Bottom